diane_gibbs2496

Need ideas or links for TV in corner....

Diane G
9 år sedan

Due to the configuration of my 2nd floor landing, the only place for the...too big...TV is in the corner. My H WAS going to build shelves that jutted out from the built-ins that are there.

1. I need ideas for a low corner piece to set the TV on and hide the cords, etc. ANy ideas...cabinets, links, etc will be greatly appreciated...trying to perk things up bef son's wedding.!!!!!

Kommentarer (31)

• Gretchen Heidrick
    9 år sedan
    Can you wall mount it where that picture is at so it could swivel when watching it and be up against the wall when not watching? Just a thought. I like your built ins. Can't see the rest of the room for configuration ideas. Looks nice though. Hope you find a solution.
    Diane G thanked Gretchen Heidrick
  • Linda
    9 år sedan
    I agree with the other posters, from what you shown I think mounting would work nicely and also let you showcase your wonderful built-in.
    Diane G thanked Linda
  • Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan

But..Where do you hide all the paraphenalia? (I don't think my H will let me do a wall mount!!)

• miacometlady
    9 år sedan
    It always helps to,see the whole space.
    Diane G thanked miacometlady
  • Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

O

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

It's a small landing off my bedroom area....I live up there...I didn't exactly tidy up, bec I've been sick for 3 weeks!!

• Vicki B
    9 år sedan

Diane, I, too, believe your best plan is to mount the TV on the wall; but, if that's simply not going to happen at your house (and I completely understand that! :) then maybe ...

Durrant Low Bookshelf · Mer info

Lorell Concordia Series Latte Laminate Desk Ensemble, 17.8" X 16.5" X 47.3" · Mer info

Tray Top Style Coffee Table With Low Shelf GFW-83 · Mer info

I am not suggesting any of these. They are just ideas from which your husband might build a simple cabinet (TV sits on top and DVD player, cable box, etc. sit on a single shelf underneath ... with enclosed back with drilled hole for wires so they won't show hanging behind the unit. It needs to be approx. 1-1/2 x as long as your TV (i.e., if TV is 36", cabinet needs to be approx. 54"), maybe 12"-15" deep and probably no more than 12" tall. I would suggest castors, especially if you only occasionally need to get into lower cabinet doors in your built-ins. I'd paint it the same color as the white built-ins.

The cabinet would sit against the wall below where you have the painting but the TV could sit at a diagonal. That would get it out from in front of the built-ins.

The cabinet could be a little deeper if you want to allow space for a basket or stack of magazines.

It's different, but it's just a thought. Maybe that will help you think of something even better -- or something you already own that could be cut down to that height, etc.!

Diane G thanked Vicki B
  • Vicki B
    9 år sedan

Diane, is that a window behind the couch? Is it ever used? If not, would it feel good to hang a simple window treatment the width of the couch over it? (I am just full of "unconventional" suggestions today!) If the couch was slightly pulled out so that the fabric could hang nicely behind, if would simplify and "clean-up" the wall behind the couch. I guess, if you do open it, you could hang drapes the width of the couch and pull them back to the edges of the window when you desired, giving the illusion of a wider window.

I also think a larger rug would help in freshening up the space for you, as well as de-cluttering in general. I did hear you say you've been sick for three weeks (I'm hoping you are on the mend!). I'm truly not being critical. All our decorating styles are different; I just know that, when I put away some of my "treasures," it helps me see and enjoy what I choose to leave out!

From one who also enjoys her "treasures," enjoy your space! I truly hope you feel better soon. You've got wedding company coming! Congratulations! :)

Diane G thanked Vicki B
  • apple_pie_order
    9 år sedan

A low cabinet as Vicki B shows would work nicely. Add a swivel if you need it. Paint the low cabinet to match the built-ins' paint.

Diane G thanked apple_pie_order
  • Vicki B
    9 år sedan

[Diane, my figures on preferred length of a TV cabinet were a little off: The cabinet should be 1/3 longer than the TV; so a 36" TV would need a cabinet around 49".]

Diane G thanked Vicki B
  • Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Vicki B...not critical at all. All the many windows in the house are like that...4 in that landing alone..My little poodle perches in that windowsill behind the sofa and so I would never cover it. That area rug is junk.. I just put there to catch spills while I've been on the sofa and on the mend!! (As I mentioned above, I didn't even attempt to 'style' the area) one thing I'm planning is a less clunky coffee table! The whole 2nd floor and all the 44 stairs in the bedroom, closets!! and winding up to the 3rd floor need fresh new carpeting...sigh. (Downstairs is Saltillo and hardwood.) We've put off too much for way too long....but with good reason.

• PRO
    Suess Electronics
    9 år sedan

Hi Diane! We have a whole Ideabook dedicated to corner television setups. We'll post it here, and maybe something will strike your fancy. http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/33791185/thumbs/corner-tvs

Diane G thanked Suess Electronics
  • Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

My fancy has been struck!! ...by many of these great ideas!! Love that others can share their wisdom, thoughts and expertise on Houzz!

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Thanks for your input.

• miacometlady
    9 år sedan
    The whole reason we are here is to problem solve those difficult spaces! Sometimes all we can do is offer the best solution for the space and circumstances available. So let's put on our thinking caps and have some fun. Smile.
    Diane G thanked miacometlady
  • Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

In your rendering, we couldn't actually watch it. It would face the bannister to my staircase and none of the furniture! By cornering it we have a way to see the TV from the sofa and the one chair we have room for on this landing...(keep in mind that this is a landing not a den, or actual room.) I appreciate your effort, though. I am not being difficult here. There are NO room arrangement options.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan

Tight space, but it isn't going to get any bigger unless it is decluttered. I know you've been recuperating here, but there are too many knick-knacks and dated decor like the sticks in the vase. There are too many small pieces of furniture that don't work either. Your end tables should be as high as the sofa arms to be useful, so I'd remove them and add a nice floor lamp to the left of the sofa. The coffee table provides plenty of surface for you to put things on. A favorite TV solution of mine when a stairwell is available, is to replace the spindles and rails with a pony wall pre-wired for the TV. The TV can mount on an articulated arm and be angled for optimal viewing. Style your nice bookcases with 1/3 books, 1/3 larger decor items and 1/3 open space. Limit photos to three on either side and layer them with a larger one behind and two smaller ones in front. Additional ones can go on bedside tables in the master bedroom. You need a bigger area rug a foot or so wider than the sofa to slip under the first 1/3 of the sofa to really anchor it. That way the coffee table will be nicely grounded entirely on the rug too. I think this can be a charming retreat for you, but it needs spiffing up and simplifying!

Diane G thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Couldn't agree more. i HAD arm height bent plexi tables tables for many years (custom built for this sofa by my H) but they are long gone. That's an idea to revisit! My Georgian style stairwell twirls up 3 stories of stairs, so a pony wall, while an interesting thought, would fragment the space visually...and isn't a good option for me. And mounting there wouldn't face any of our furniture. (That rug is totally temporary/cheap/ugly. I shouldn't have left it in the space for the photo!) Clearly, many of you don't like my stuff which I don't think of as clutter..a little editing is appropriate. I'm actually good with shelves...;) But...have had 3 deaths, 4 long family illnesses, surgery, bronchitis, a grandchild due today, and a son's wedding happening in May. And I just need my TV in that corner!!!..;>\ You all do have some great ideas, and I will keep them in mind.

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

groveraxle...you do have a way with words!!

• decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan

Good luck clearing your plate over the next few months. You might want to revisit Houzz when things settle down a bit. Great that you have a handy hubby!

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Thanks. Sticks are gone. Kinda just want to put TV in corner. Over and out.......... (And NOT one mention of sweet Phoebe, the little photobombing poodle....;(

• decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan

I guess our dog lovers were AWOL - I never comment on pets or kids in pix, but I do love my own cats!

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Funny. The most obvious "partial" solution was never mentioned....the TV is just too dang BIG for the area!!

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Thanks again Houzzers, for all the excellent input. It's gotten my H interested in this project! Yay! Have a lovely holiday weekend...Easter, Passover, whatever you have planned!

• Vicki B
    9 år sedan

But YOU already said it was too big! 'Just workin' with what you have. Excited to see what you & H do! :)

Diane G thanked Vicki B
  • Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

I think we'll get a smaller TV, put that one back from whence my football fan family swiped it...and H will design an extension that diagonally juts out from our existing cabinetry...I'd like it to extend across the wall in front of the window, to create a desk area for me! Then my stick free, 'edited' landing, with higher end tables, new lamps, less clutter, styled shelves, new carpet and a freshly recovered sofa really would be a haven for me! (Sounds like I've bitten off more than he was planning to chew!!...but he DOES design things for a living!

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

The man who designed and built this can build a TV stand!! ;)

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

• decoenthusiaste
    9 år sedan

He certainly should be able to and I'd say the budget is unlimited too.

• Diane G
    Författare
    9 år sedan

The budget isn't unlimited at all. He's a fabricator/plastics mfg and did everything himself. And it's taken years.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.