scarlettline

What are peoples thoughts on using ICF.

scarlettline
11 år sedan
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what their thoughts are on using ICF

Kommentarer (11)

• creeser
    11 år sedan
    Is that the foam blocks that concrete is poured into? If so, I have good friends that are builders that use this.
  • scarlettline
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Yes, that's it. I've heard rave revues about it but always like to know the bad stuff too!
    Thanks
  • creeser
    11 år sedan
    Of course. You need to weigh the options as it's a more expensive way to build. I'll ask for the negatives from my friend and see what I get. The only thing I've gotten in conversation is that hanging things on the wall can be a bit tricky, but once you do, it's not going anywhere.
  • scarlettline
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thanks for your help. I never thought about hanging pictures etc., good to know! I've heard that it's a very good sound barrier and that it doesn't take much to heat your house. Also, that the process is quick. If you do have any other information please send it my way, it would be welcomed info....... the good, bad or the ugly! :)

Thanks again
  • creeser
    11 år sedan
    It doesn't take much to heat your house. Their house is about 3000 sqft. Right after they moved in, they had an ice storm and no electricity for about a week. After 3 days with temps around freezing, they had only lost about 10 degrees in the house and that was due some to people going in and out. She turned on her oven (gas) and opened the oven door and heated the house back up in less than half an hour. She was amazed herself. Now keep in mind, they also have the foam spray insulation in the attic, so the house is very tight.
    One of the downsides of a house being that tight is air circulation. She put in a commercial hood over her stove to make sure she draws all the cooking smells out of the house.
  • PRO
    Runyan Homes
    9 år sedan
    ICF's big benefit is that there is insulation (thermal break) on both sides of the wall and that this method of construction is extremely quiet to live in. Energy efficiency is very good in ICF homes but how the attic space is insulated and other building product factors are just as important. The window type and quality now become a bigger factor in energy loss and gain and sound transmission. I have built homes for 30 years and have build many ICF homes and I always start conversations with "have you considered building with ICF's."
    It is more expensive but probably not as much as you might think
  • mrobins72
    8 år sedan

Thank you Runyan. We will be building in the next two years and I have been considering ICF but I feared I could not afford it and get the SQ footage we wanted. No one here has used ICF except for commercial buildings. (I live in a rural area in the midwest). However, your comment has put my mind at ease. Maybe we can stretch the budget a little more and rethink space use in a room or two to make it happen!

• User
    8 år sedan

Can you build in,y the basement in ICF, and not above ground. Is there any energy saving value in doing this,

• PRO
    Runyan Homes
    8 år sedan

There is no problem using ICF construction method for a basement. The same energy benefits apply. Having the thermal break on both sides of the wall is an great help. You cannot spray on a moisture barrier on the outside unless you are extremely careful and selective with your backfill. You can easily damage the membrane. I use a peel and stick product which is much stronger than spray on. There are many peel and stick products but research what is available in your area.

I have done numerous homes where the basement is ICF and the main floor is frame wall. There is really no difference between ICF and a standard foundation wall when it comes to what goes on above it.

• User
    8 år sedan

Hi Runyon homes, is there energy savings with just putting ICF in basement and not above grade. We live in Canada.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.