lnwines

Exterior color scheme

lnwines
9 år sedan

We have light blue vinyl siding (yuck) which we cannot afford to remove, however, trying to improve color scheme. Currently, there are faded burgundy shutters. We are thinking about navy blue shutters and door. Would love some input on this idea, or something different altogether!

Kommentarer (36)

• miacometlady
    9 år sedan
    I'm thinking dark blue shutters and black door?
  • ekahl0907
    9 år sedan
    I would suggest Navy Blue shutters and a lighter blue door, like Benjamin Moore Wythe blue. I have a gray would house and went with that color combo and I love it. Good luck.
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Maybe dark grey shutters and a medium grey door. That might tone down the blue siding. Otherwise I like ekahl's idea of navy and medium bluer.
  • gnujko
    9 år sedan
    Have you used the Sherwin Williams app to "paint" your shutters and door? Try it- it is really fun and gives you a great feel for how your home will look. When I used you house pic in the app, I liked charcoal grey to black shutters and door.
  • er612
    9 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 9 år sedan

Since you have significant window frames, you really don't need shutters. Ex.

But if you must keep the shutters, I like the dark blue that you've chosen.

lnwines thanked er612
  • libradesigneye
    9 år sedan

The copper blue green patina on the porch roof is so unique. Have you considered using wood brackets off the original house to support that element? Look at prowood market.com.

Because your siding is straight blue, I couldn't recommend any blue greens like wythe, and the trick with navy is to get the right shade for outdoors . . not too bright. True grays read blue, so even something like bm wolf gray might be super on the front door with bm blue note on the shutters . . http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/bluenote

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/wolfgray

• lnwines
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Thanks everyone! I took the shutters down today and like the no shutters look!

• libradesigneye
    9 år sedan

wonderful - it is a bit more historic for certain areas .. 200 years ago, unless you lived in a seacoast town, you might not go for shutters

• pdk920
    9 år sedan

I like your blue house and the windows look good without shutters. Good suggestion to add more substantial wooden posts at the entry and to accentuate the door with either a deeper blue (choose carefully!) or a brighter red.

• S Reams
    9 år sedan

I, too, think it would look best without shutters. In the future, beefing up the porch columns, painting the door something bright, and updating the landscaping would also help. I've done a quick (very quick!) makeup of what I'm thinking.

lnwines thanked S Reams
  • magenta77
    9 år sedan
    How about dark gray or black shutters and a yellow door?
  • er612
    9 år sedan

jsreams is spot on! Love the bright yellow door! The white columns make a huge difference - definitely something to work towards. Are you handy? If so, you could probably box in the current columns pretty inexpensively.

• bri_bri
    9 år sedan

I agree with the no shutters and a bright door color (seems like there are many door color choices that would work). Also, as suggested above, a more formal line of bushes up against the house would look great--you could do round, or squared off row of boxwoods etc.

• donovanclan
    9 år sedan

Dark gray shutters, wood door & paint the the steps white.

• Valerie
    9 år sedan

I like the pop of real red (cherry red, not wine like it is) better than black or yellow. I agree with everything mick50 said.

• peoplerpeople
    9 år sedan

My first thought was beef up the porch columns. It's been said a few times, but it's worth repeating. Colors are good for curb appeal, but change the columns and you've changed the architecture. I'd also add to leave the shutters off. They are fake and don't add any real value to your home. Adding real shutters (or ones that seem real) is costly and not necessary.

• tristawelsh
    9 år sedan
    What about midnight blue or black shutters and a cream door?
  • Alyssa B
    9 år sedan

Love the red door, white shutters-very classy but it would completely catch the eye!

• Sandra Robinson
    9 år sedan

What about making the porch bigger so that there is sitting room.

• PRO
    DH Design
    9 år sedan

I like the shutters but I would paint them all the same color and in something with a little more oomph to it like black or dark gray and then add an eye catching color to the front door. I would replace the metal porch supports with something more substantial and in keeping with the style of the home. Window boxes might be fun on the upper windows for some color and fuller landscaping along the foundation will fill in those gaps. I like the brick on the front porch so maybe carry that out to the sidewalk with a nice pathway to greet and guide guests to the front door. Have fun!

• Wilma Pitcher
    9 år sedan

so much like the Idea I had in mind. DH Design.

• justvivian
    9 år sedan

I vote no shutters! Replace the porch posts with a white square style. Replace the storm door with a white full view storm door. Paint the door a Historic Red and update the Landscaping staggering the plants. Making sure to utilize different colors & styles of leafs to provide more interest. I especially like the Red Twig Dogwood because it gives interest in winter. You'll soon love the blue siding!

• Jeffrey Allen
    9 år sedan

is that a metal roof on the entry roof? yuck! shingle it up to match the house. black to charcoal shutters & front door. love the white column idea. add color to front greenery. hydrangea maybe?

• Debi Murphy_Ernser
    9 år sedan

Or black the shutters and go with a high gloss red door.

• kathrynscanlon
    9 år sedan

As far as curb appeal goes, a wide hardscaped pathway that leads to the street, roughly the width of your stairs, would be much more welcoming and inviting. It would complement the scale and symmetry of your house and make it look more a part of the surrounding environment.

• coopster
    9 år sedan

I love the idea of no shutters and a bright door: yellow, red, or red-orange!

• adnanebenali
    9 år sedan

Shutters are great, they just need a new color. You can go for your navy color or an even darker navy or black; but that's sort of safe. For me, Green shutters would work nice - they work well with the light blue and the landscape. New door/color, front white pillars and front paving to lead the eye to the door and create space. Consider lanterns too.

• adnanebenali
    9 år sedan

Here's another take if you're willing to spend for a deck/patio extension.

• km kane
    9 år sedan
    Jeffrey Allen-no! If that's indeed copper, it could be cleaned up to bring the gorgeous patina in to view, so to speak. Even iron is beautiful, better than fake "shudders" that don't work.

Great ides here, remove shutters because you have thick trim, use white trim and build posts and railings for front porch, get new storm that shows off front door, go for a bright front door (try something other than prescriptive red) and power wash the brick so they show up better.

Oh, and paint the downspouts the same color as the blue siding, they're kinda sticking out.

Trim the shrubs, make the garden bed a bit deeper and add more plants with more texture, and some flowers, add a small tree to the yard, and build a walkway to the street.

Send us a picture in early summer. You will be the envy of your neighbors!!!!
  • km kane
    9 år sedan
    Oh, and how about some nice porch lights on either side of the door?
  • hatfam
    9 år sedan

love the idea of no shutters and building up the porch columns. Too weak and dated in wrought iron. The greened copper roof is fantastic. Tradition says red front door but black can add drama and elegance. When updating the plantings add some greened copper in containers lights mailbox or some other fun artistic pieces draw attention to it

• PRO
    Destin4 Interiors LLC
    9 år sedan
    For some reason I can't attach photos but I have added one to my "Beautiful Curb Appeal"...With the color of your siding and the house without the shutters I would bring in a punch of color-the yellow is too jarring and modern. I was picturing a warm coral (not too orange or pink) close to the reds. Maybe BM Raspberry Blush or SW Gladiola it's a little hard to say exactly when the house color may appear differently on everyones electronics. If I had an exact match of the siding from either the BM or SW fan deck I could better advise. On the example I suggested on house #1317, I love the posts squared out with the little bit of trim details. Good Luck If you'd like more help tag me or message me directly
  • PRO
    Techo-Bloc
    9 år sedan

Stoop and walkway need some TLC -

• PRO
    Rubner's Nursery & Landscaping
    9 år sedan

With Techo-Bloc pavers you can overlay the brick stoop and steps to match your paver walkway.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.