bungalowhomesherveybay

'yay' or 'nay' to walk in showers

Bungalow Homes
9 år sedan
senast redigerad:9 år sedan

Do you prefer a walk in shower or a cubicle?
We believe there is a lot less cleaning to do in a walk-in

walk in shower
shower cubicle

Kommentarer (48)

• Sharon Bouchard
    9 år sedan

Nay! Too much chance of being exposed! I dont even like this in a hotel.

Bungalow Homes thanked Sharon Bouchard
  • neotoma
    9 år sedan
    Yay, but the room has to be right to take it. I'm not keen on people trying to squeeze a walk in shower where there isn't room, and most of the bathroom getting wet as a result.
    Bungalow Homes thanked neotoma
  • kahad
    9 år sedan
    Nay, cant think of anything worse than an open shower on a cold winters morning
    Bungalow Homes thanked kahad
  • PRO
    WOKAI Design
    9 år sedan
    no walk in shower for me. I'm with Kahad
    Bungalow Homes thanked WOKAI Design
  • lanaloveslounging
    9 år sedan
    I've lived in houses with both and I adore my new walk in showers. I have often felt claustrophobic in cubicle showers. Mine is beside my built in caeser stone bath so you can use the bath ledge to sit, or place your leg on while you shave, etc. love it. I think it is easier to clean too.
    Bungalow Homes thanked lanaloveslounging
  • yvonnesl
    9 år sedan
    Elanap would you mind posting a photo - it sounds exactly what I have been thinking about! Thanks
    Bungalow Homes thanked yvonnesl
  • Pazz
    9 år sedan
    'Yay' all the way ;)
    Bungalow Homes thanked Pazz
  • Judith Turner
    9 år sedan
    Our new last August walk in hasn't been cleaned at all it cleans itself!!
    Bungalow Homes thanked Judith Turner
  • Kim Westwood
    9 år sedan
    I like the idea but depending on the space. We have a big corner bath with shower over the top with no screen around it. At least you are not restricted. I hate going to a motel where the cubicle is so small you can't move. give me space.
    Bungalow Homes thanked Kim Westwood
  • Judith Turner
    9 år sedan
    We took our bath out to make the shower, at my age a bath is a very difficult thing to clamber in and out of!
  • 18longview
    9 år sedan
    We have a large cubicle, large enough to towel off in afterwards! I hate the cold draft you get with the walk-in especially in winter, and am too scroogie to heat the whole bathroom if I don't need to.
    Bungalow Homes thanked 18longview
  • deanli14
    9 år sedan
    In our last house I did a shower over corner bath with no screen, like Kim Westwood above. The bathroom was small enough to easily heat the whole space so no issue with the cold. I loved it and miss it!
    Bungalow Homes thanked deanli14
  • User
    9 år sedan
    Personally, I absolutely love the pictured bathroom! Unless you're a contortionist, such a spacious walk-in with large tiles is sooo much easier to clean than a pokey little cubicle, and is much less likely to harbour mould. There are some fabulous designs in shower curtains for those that feel exposed. The chill factor can be reduced with heat lamps, towel rails, flooring etc., and no plinth to step over so the elderly, or those with mobility issues have unobstructed access... what's NOT to like ...?
    Bungalow Homes thanked User
  • suzyellenbevo
    9 år sedan
    Love our new walk in. When designed carefully, the water stays in the cubicle and it is very private. It is also so much easier to clean. Wish I could do it for my ensure as well but the space is wrong.
    Bungalow Homes thanked suzyellenbevo
  • suzyellenbevo
    9 år sedan
    Ensuite - it should have read
  • Tilly
    9 år sedan
    Walk in 100%. Easy clean, easy life.
    Bungalow Homes thanked Tilly
  • sslorach
    9 år sedan
    We live in a subtropical climate and love our walk in shower. We placed our shower faucet on the wall opposite the glass so water stays within the shower area. Our walk-in is 900 x 1200mm.
    Bungalow Homes thanked sslorach
  • Judith Turner
    9 år sedan
    We live in the tropics too and mould and rust was a big problem with a closed in metal cubical! Thank goodness those days are gone!
  • Jacinta O'Brien
    9 år sedan
    As someone who works in the aged-care industry, it future proofs your house. No hob or lip to manoeuvre over.

Plus they're easier to clean.
    Bungalow Homes thanked Jacinta O'Brien
  • Jenny Simon
    9 år sedan
    I have a brand new walk in shower which consists of one pane of glass. Love it. Easy to clean. No wet floor. Makes bathroom seem so much bigger too!
    Bungalow Homes thanked Jenny Simon
  • scottybeez
    9 år sedan
    A holiday house we stayed in once on the sunshine coast had a walk in shower and it was great. But I couldn't have one where I live as it's far too cold (coldest place in QLD - Stanthorpe). So it just wouldn't work. I know that I hate stepping out of the shower in winter time - even with the heat lights blaring and the room full of steam it's just horrible. To deal with it permanently would just plain suck.
    Bungalow Homes thanked scottybeez
  • mrspatriciahawking
    9 år sedan
    Great for someone with a disability
    Bungalow Homes thanked mrspatriciahawking
  • Penny Westhorp
    9 år sedan
    As a retired occupational therapist with growing arthritic mobility issues, and building a new house, I have designed two slightly wider (1.2M) walk-in open showers (one in attached studio/flat). Both are in the corner of their room, so walls form two sides and extra long glass screen forms third side. Main one has extra large wall tiles with minimal grout to minimise cleaning. 'Fantastic' (fan and heat light combo) is positioned above near shower to provide warmth when drying. Heated towel rail is just outside shower so warm towel is available immediately. A water proof chair can be positioned just outside shower for people to sit while drying to conserve energy.
    Each has a single slope to a linear drain, much better to stand a shower chair on, or wheel a bathing trolley into. Combine with a dual rail shower with fixed head ( for person who likes all over water) and hand held head (for person who needs to reach awkward bits while sitting down). Both showers have folding wooden seat in recess in the wall, for people who tire during standing, or still bother to shave their legs. Taps are positioned on the outside edge of cubicle so temp can be adjusted before you get under the water. And, as suggested by our plumber, the shower head points towards the shower screen - so the water doesn't spray out into the room as much, and the constant flow keeps the glass clean.
    They'll be built soon, so am looking forward to seeing if all my plans work out!
    Bungalow Homes thanked Penny Westhorp
  • fianou
    9 år sedan
    I like walk in showers, but only when built properly. I don't like the ones with just one glass wall and open to the bathroom, everything gets wet!
  • mrspatriciahawking
    9 år sedan
    Someone with a disability or wheelchair there great
  • Heather Gale
    8 år sedan
    Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate cleaning shower screens. Walk in hands down, any where, any chance I could do have one, I would. ....did I say how much I hate cleaning shower screens !!!
  • brennz
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

I notice there's still a lot of talk of tiled shower walls. I thought that glass or Perspex panels had superseded grout & tiles nowadays. Walk ins are so easy to maintain, clean & user friendly for elderly. A glass blade is easy care. Is there a benefit to tiles over glass ?

• lanaloveslounging
    8 år sedan

My apologies yvonnesl, I just saw your request. The bathroom is surprisingly compact though it feels very spacious. It's a delight. The medicine cabinet is ample storage space too.

I can attest to the benefits of an open shower for use and cleaning for people with poor mobility. I have a spinal injury with occasional bouts of very poor mobility and it's a plus to be able to hobble in without a shower lip and to sit on the bath edge when I'm wobbly on my feet.

It also future proofs in the event that you or a family member becomes less mobile, breaks a leg, etc. Also a plus for resale.

Also, cleaning this baby is a dream. Especially with this kind of Vileda extendable, cleaning wand. You can maintain good alignment and remain standing rather than crouching in pokey shower cubicles trying to get into the corners.

I swear I don't sell them!

• lanaloveslounging
    8 år sedan

Oooh, also great for poor mobility, wall hung toilet and basin means you can mop with ease. Seriously, it's my dream bathroom.

• Vy
    8 år sedan

it would have to be yay...easy to clean..clean lines..no chance of bumping myself being a clumsy klutz..

• PRO
    Civic Steel Homes
    8 år sedan

Excellent option for people where access is a challenge. Open showers are very popular and where glass is not used require less cleaning!

Small lot Brisbane · Mer info

Ocean View · Mer info

• PRO
    Melanie Hedi
    8 år sedan

Walk in for sure- I agree there is less cleaning- it is more open so dries up easier with less chance of moisture and mold problems.

• PRO
    Custom Abstract Art - Mendo Vasilevski
    8 år sedan

Sorry I love the steam too much. I want to be trapped inside the mist :)

• gem1919
    7 år sedan
    We are currently building two homes one for us and one for our son who uses a wheelchair , and both homes have walkin/wheel in showers. So much easier to keep clean and less risk of damage with shower chair. I can't wait to not have grimy glass to clean.
  • User
    7 år sedan

Great for ageing in place, but the waterproofing must be done properly.

• Flannel Flower
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Yay all the way to walk in. No unnecessary cleaning or barriers. If you can design to connect to an outdoors component (which we can as we back onto a national park) or through a beautiful, big natural vista picture window while showering - all the better. Design for simplicity, freedom of movement and connection to nature. Bliss :-)

• wendan26
    7 år sedan

Definitely 100% walk-in, our ensuite has double overhead shower's and a hand held wall shower head in our walk-in with a built-in wall seat for each of us, we can wash each others back, sit and put our feet up on each others seat to wash them instead of having to bend down on a slippery floor - can you guess we are a couple of oldies and have showered together since we were married 52 years ago, way back then we only needed a small shower, now with age we need a bit more space - cleaning the tiles is sooooooo much easier than all that glass, would NEVER CHANGE from my walk-in, absolutely love it. We are inside the tiled walls of the ensuite with 2 showers spraying warm water and steam all around us so we don't get cold.

• deanli14
    7 år sedan

We have 3 types of shower in the house- walk in; cubicle; shower over tub. The two family members who are closest to the cubicle opt to trek downstairs and use the walk in!

• barbaran11
    7 år sedan
    A walk-in shower is so easy to use if you've got the space. If you tile three walls, there is only one piece of glass to clean. It is also much more convenient for a disabled person to use to use.
  • mamalade
    7 år sedan

We have 3 showers and all designed as walk-ins. WONDERFULLY LIBERATING!!!!

• PRO
    Allan Carter Cabinetmaking
    7 år sedan

If bathroom is heated then walk-in would be ok.

• oklouise
    7 år sedan

although i have walk in showers we have no glass walls and i still have good old fashioned shower curtains and a bathmat...best of both worlds!

• mamalade
    7 år sedan

I can't even imagine a shower curtain but with a walk-in shower -- Do you have a pic?

• User
    7 år sedan

It's quite common. Stops all your stuff in the room getting wet and is something soft in the room to offset all the hard surfaces. Can easily be changed for a new colour look, and doesn't need squeegeeing.

• User
    7 år sedan

Bathrooms · Mer info
    Not my colours but you get the Sh curt idea

Modern Bathroom · Mer info

• mamalade
    7 år sedan

Ok, I've never seen that before. My walk-ins are all designed with (appropriate) floor sloping and a wall .. effectively only the door is 'missing' ..

• User
    7 år sedan

Only needs a grab rail in those, shower curtains fall down in a fall, whereas rails do not.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.