karyncooper

Need help with my new place!!!

Karyn Cooper
9 år sedan

I just moved in and this is what I have so far but I feel like something is missing or not right. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Kommentarer (14)

• er612
    9 år sedan

I would get a larger rug that fits under the coffee table and sofa (at least the front legs). This will help unify the space. Right now it feels a bit disjointed. Other than that looks good.

Karyn Cooper thanked er612
  • miacometlady
    9 år sedan
    The fireplace is a natural focal point of this room. Instead of recognizing it, you have a chair facing away from it and vases partially covering it. So for me, it makes the space uncomfortable.
    Karyn Cooper thanked miacometlady
  • User
    9 år sedan
    I would do the following. move the vase to the left side of the for place.
    I know you have the standing light on the side. you should get wall fixture. when that is done move the single sofa piece next to the love seat if that is possible.
    Karyn Cooper thanked User
  • lefty47
    9 år sedan

HI -- All your furnishings are dark and the walls are so light . There is no separate colors . So that is why it kind of falls flat . Maybe put a nice muted blue on the walls . Lower the TV a bit . Put something else on the fireplace ... a round object rather than the mirror . Pull the small rug out and put the coffee table a little closer to the sofa ( 18 inches ) . Add some more colorful cushions or covers . Improve the drapes to something fuller and hung at ceiling height . If you paint still keep the fireplace the same as the walls.

Karyn Cooper thanked lefty47
  • Jean Benelli
    9 år sedan

Put a mantel on the fireplace. Get rid of the area rug, it is too small. I agree with others with moving the large vases. The shape of the mirror over the fireplace is wrong and it is too small for the space. A large more square art work would work better and add color. Paint the walls a warm color. Get heavier drapes. The ones you have are too light weight for the room. I would suggest a something with a print. Your room is too brown.

Karyn Cooper thanked Jean Benelli
  • Karyn Cooper
    Författare
    9 år sedan

Thank you all for the AMAZING comments! I will for sure put up the final outcome pictures as soon as I'm done. Thanks again !!!!

• susan2494
    9 år sedan

Add color. As mentioned rug is too small. If you want a rug sofa legs need to sit on rug and extend past coffee table. Accessories on end tables disappear. I will attach some photos. Your room doesn't give me any clues on what colors you like other than brown and black.

Add some pillows to sofa and chair to tie in with rug.

Your coffee table is quite large. You might want to consider moving the chair closer to the end of the sofa with front legs on a larger rug. That would give it access to the small table.

Exchange the mirror for one that makes a statement.

Try some décor on top of the TV storage unit. Might want to move some of the candles off the end tables to the end of storage cabinet. group in odd numbers. Try a tall bowl with colored balls for the end table.

Pier 1 has some great accent pieces

Hope these idea help.

• sheilaskb
    9 år sedan

Each wall of the room looks great, but somehow the whole room seen from a distance looks heavy and dark. For variety, you might get a white-painted mantel for the fireplace and replace the mirror over the fireplace with colorful wall art that still harmonizes with the dark shades in the room. In keeping with the white mantel, a wall art frame made of white-painted trim, about three inches across, would help. I would suggest you move the tall candlesticks from the end table to one side of the mantel.

In time you might be able to move one of the end tables, the mirror, and the clock to a foyer and make a "welcome" unit of them, having the bottom edge of the mirror one to three inches above the table and the clock above the mirror. After doing so, you might move one torchiere lamp to the wall where you originally had the clock and move the other torchiere lamp to the left of the fireplace. To the place where you originally had the end table, you might relocate the larger of the two vases and put the smaller vase on an end table at the opposite end of the sofa.

Another idea would be to relocate the dark-colored chairs by the bar/island and place the sofa so that the back of it faces the bar, creating a room divider. Then, you could assemble the end tables and/or coffee table to make a display unit where the sofa had been. The upholstered chair also could be angled along this wall to face the TV and the fireplace.

You might choose a color from the suggested wall art and use it in throw pillows for the sofa and chair to bring some brightness and contrast into the room.

• sheilaskb
    9 år sedan

I agree with another poster that your coffee table is quite large, and you could use a rectangular one half as wide, should you ever decide to get something else. I do not know if you are single or married or anticipate having children one day, but the large square coffee table could serve as a children's table in the future. You would need some wooden kindergarten-size chairs painted or stained so that they contrast or harmonize, and the set would be adorable. Also, if you could use another part of the house as a TV room, you could move out the TV and the shelving units under it and then place the upholstered chair, the large vase, and an end table along the wall where you how have the TV and shelves. These are just suggestions for variety and different uses of the furniture in the future.

• susan2494
    9 år sedan

Just a quick comment. Your wall décor is too high. As mentioned, the TV is too high. When seated the middle of the screen should be a eye level. Change out the mirror and hang lower closer to top of fireplace. The clock looks lonely. :>) Here are a couple that are larger:

34 or 41"

• partim
    9 år sedan

I like your vases but think they would look better without anything in them. They have a nice shape and the dried items are distracting from it.

• leelee
    9 år sedan

Lower the TV. Put it right on top of the shelves below it.

Try swapping the clock with the mirror. Or, even better, add art over the fireplace to give color and interest.

Resist the urge to buy anything else brown.

• PRO
    Suess Electronics
    9 år sedan

The TV is in a good spot, but we'd recommend lowering it a bit. Ideally the center of the TV would be level with your line of sight when you're sitting down. That will create less neck and eye fatigue while watching.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.