haylz24

Tv over fireplace. Can this work?

haylz24
11 år sedan
Hi, we are renovating our first home and have smashed out the bricks to replace with new bricks and building a mantel. All the existing gib has also been removed. The only place for the tv would be over the fireplace. Is this safe? Can you hide the chords? Are there special products to use to stop the tv heating up? Would love any help!!

Kommentarer (15)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 år sedan
    There was much discussion recently about posting a tutorial regarding your question, as it is more and more common. Paintable chases will hide cords. Special mountings are available to hang it, and some of the tilt. Insulation from heat is the main concern, and as close as your seating will be you may want to have it tilt for better viewing. Google for tv over fireplace and you'll see the subject's pros and cons.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 år sedan
    I would try to avoid having the TV over the fireplace. How about that wall to the right of the fireplace for TV ?
  • haylz24
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    We have thought of putting the tv on that wall but the couch will cut off the room as I have taken the photo from the open plan kitchen dining area. I will place a seat where the couch would go and test the viewing as if the tv was mounted above fireplace. Thank you for your comments
  • PRO
    The Staging Fashionista
    11 år sedan
    If you are hanging a flat screen I would suggest placing the couch underneath the window area that way the couch is also facing the fireplace. I would then place a chair next to fireplace that also faces the wall so you could watch from that place as well.
  • haylz24
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thanks good idea we have a 3 seater and a 2 seater. We are undersided if we will mount the tv on wall above fireplace or have it on a stand on the mantel. Was also thinking of painting a picture to hide the tv when it in use. The flute is concret but we are thinking of placing the chords inside the jib behind the wall.
  • Susan MacIsaac
    11 år sedan
    Does the fireplace burn wood or is it a gas insert? If it gas you have no problem we had ours over a gas insert and had no issues.
  • Walter Frazier
    11 år sedan
    There is not enough room to sit back from the tv if over the fireplace.
  • haylz24
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Burns wood sadly but the flute is encased with concret.
  • haylz24
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Dam I was also thinking that the space was tight between fireplace and wall
  • PRO
    User
    11 år sedan
    You can put the TV over the fireplace, not the best situation but the way the room lays out it is the only logical place to put it. If you could you should add one additional layer on your mantel that could extend it out another 4" to deflect the radiant coming from the fireplace. I would also mount it on a slimline mounting bracket and have the bottom of the TV no further than 4" above the mantle. Ideally you want the TV to be in as straight a line as possible with your eyes. You don't want to look up too high at the TV, it's like being at a sports bar. Also if you can snake up the power and the HDMI from the cable there is a box they make that has both in one so it makes for a very clean installation.
  • Jean Tuck
    11 år sedan
    All I can say is I love wood floors well sealed and wall color of choice, floor to ceiling drapes lightly patterned or plain is fine.Ene actually for space saving like tv over fireplace.
  • Jean Tuck
    11 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 11 år sedan
    Well now there has to be a safe answer for this Tv over fireplace or we wouldnt see so much of it. Since my tv has a disk player that exits at the side of screen it needs to use this kind of application or on top of nice display stand.Have to check safety before attempting this location for Tv so it works best for you. best I can help now have no want for wall to wall carpet, like centre rugs to change out design if required and if no basment is tough to get out on floors without rug, easier to clean room thoroughly for yrly with centre floors rugs.
  • Diamondflame
    11 år sedan
    Since you're likely to have to look up to watch TV, any chance of swapping those 3+2 seaters for recliners?
  • haylz24
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    We are really lucky/unfortunate depending how you see it as we have absolutely no furniture or appliance as we are young and have only been living in shared flatting situations. My bf is a builder so we are doing everything on a budget but we did just purchase a Internet ready smart tv. We could possible get one recliner for watching sports as a treat I guess as i had never thought of that. Yes there are beautiful polished floors under that crazy carpet that we have ripped up. Super glad that building the mantel up and tilting the tv will allow us to have this option as this is the only option. Thanks for everyone's help so far
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.