kirstyduncan35

Cost Effective Open Plan/Kitchen Re-design

Kirsty Duncan
8 år sedan

Hi all,

We're in the process of buying a ground floor flat and we're desperate to introduce an open plan living area and new kitchen with as little cost and disruption as possible. Some key issues to note:

a. Large bit of wall jutting out in what is the current kitchen - presumably the remnants of the old end of the house - which I guess would be load-bearing?

b. Large fireplace in the reception room which I would prefer not to remove

c. Only one bathroom to serve 2-3 bedrooms

I've had a play around with the design of the floor plan as attached and would be interested to know what people's thoughts are!

Thanks

Kommentarer (12)

• Kirsty Duncan
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Better quality view of original floor plan

• Jonathan
    8 år sedan

In my opinion the flat is a bit bedroom heavy. Of course reducing the number of bedrooms will reduce the saleability but could you approach a redesign in several ways you have not yet thought of:

Move the bathroom to make the living area larger? I think I would look at the two front bedrooms and make one of those smaller to accommodate a bathroom.

Alternatively a side extension?

My personal preference would be to keep the bathroom but add an ensuite to one of the front two bedrooms. I would put the shower room in the back of those two bedrooms but access it from the front one. I would make the lounge into bedroom 3 and have the back part of the house as living kitchen because presumably this overlooks a garden.

• Jonathan
    8 år sedan

different idea

• PRO
    OnePlan
    8 år sedan
    I like C best !
    ;-)
  • Kirsty Duncan
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Thanks jonathandb1972 for your feedback! Interesting idea trying to fit a shower room into the front bedrooms - I hadn't considered that!

Only problem with making the back bedroom a living room is then you have to have one large room at the back as the first reception room can't be closed off as its a walk through.

• Kirsty Duncan
    Författare
    8 år sedan

OnePlan - thanks I like C the best too... Do you thin its weird having a bedroom directly off the kitchen though?

• Niamh McG
    8 år sedan
    I'd agree about the bedrooms. Unless you need 3 large bedrooms is move the bathroom between them or take advantage of their size some way.
  • minnie101
    8 år sedan

Hi kirsty. Do you need the 3 beds and an extra ensuite? The cost of moving the soil pipe to the other end of the house may be pretty expensive. I also think if you put an ensuite in you probably need a sink otherwise you'll still need to use the bathroom (you may also need to by law but am just guessing on that!) personally i would also arrange the living area to include a round table to seat at least 4. Maybe you could squeeze an "en suite" adjacent to the bathroom if you take some of the storage space too?. You will be left with a long narrow corridor but should be cheaper. You could also extend out next to the bathroom but then need to get light into that bedroom. Or using plan c extend out a little above the loo to include a sink. You could also remove the chimney in the back bedroom to allow for easier furniture arrangement.

• bookworm987
    8 år sedan

Another idea...swap living room with bed 3. Enlarge this room with a side return extension, creating a master bedroom with an ensuite and a private courtyard! Make the most of the long narrow corridor by using it as an art gallery-type space.

• PRO
    Robin Designs Ltd
    8 år sedan

Hi, I like c but also think it would worth considering a side extension as this would really open things out. In the attached sketch you also create a private courtyard accessed from the rear bedroom and bring in additional natural light via a roof lantern or similar. These extensions are not always straight forward to get planning permission, but I think worth exploring.

• telljojo
    7 år sedan

hi kirstyduncan35

I was revisiting your thread and wondered if you would be kind enough to update us on which plan you went for in the end?

Its always interesting to see a stories end result.

Thank you

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.