bridget_browes

Injection of colour!

Bridget Browes
8 år sedan
Our lounge is large 8m x9m (1large window 1 glass/window door) I would like to add art and colour to the light blue/grey neutral scheme, wooden oak floor grey Seagrass rug!
We are building Scandinavian type units either side of the fire which will frame the TV and hid electricals, out of Mdf which could be painted a bright colour?
Suggestion please

Kommentarer (21)

• PRO
    Rise Art
    8 år sedan

What about Lucie Jirku or Corinne Natel? Both would add a pop of abstract colour, and would really compliment your Scandinavian units!

Rise Art

• pannacotta
    8 år sedan

Bright coloured cushions are the obvious choice.
    Are the curtains definitely staying?

• minnie101
    8 år sedan

Hi. What kind of style are you after? Is it a scandi look? The room looks pretty light so it may be able to take most colours, which way does it face? Hope you don't mind me saying but I would move your sofas slightly, in the 1st pic the sofa looks as if it's in front of the door. I wouldn't add colour to the cabinets, they'll become the stand out feature in the room. As pannacota said look at cushions and art. I'd Google scandanivan vintage posters if you like that style and then get something framed. Add either large art or mirror over the fire.

• Bridget Browes
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Hi thank you all to answer some questions
    - the curtain are new so will be staying
  • PRO
    Mellow Duck
    8 år sedan

Hi Bridget, how about some Mellow Duck pods and cushions to add some colour? Blueberry suede would look nice which can be used for any of our 7 pod shapes &/or cushions... Muscovy shaped pod featured here ...

Muscovy in Grassington Blueberry "suede" · Mer info

• Bridget Browes
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Lost some answers!
    The room faces south and East and is very light. Think a mirror over the fire will just make the room look bigger so art is the answer its just find the right piece..
    Think about painting inside the squares/oblongs of the Mdf then not so bold but still adds colour?
  • minnie101
    8 år sedan

Hi. Sorry is it a scandi style you're after? If so I tend to associate it with just pops of colour (rightly or wrongly!) so it would be difficult to say re the units until they're up. I would probably paint inside a couple of boxes but not all. If you are after a scandi style I would add a few more key accessories as currently most of the furnishings are quite classical so I'd try to change the overall feel. I can see you've got spots in the ceiling but a statement light would help. I would also think about some kind of large arc or angle poise lamp or large lamps for the tables. Maybe add a throw to the sofa? I would also think about changing some of the cushions, add a couple of strong geometric patterns and texture. Colours for accessories would be white, black, grey, a stronger blue and add pops of colour in either lemon/yellow or orange. Black and white art in black frames would look good with some pops of colour. A large piece of art for over the fire and maybe a collage on the door ŵall? Maybe look for vintage Scandinavian posters or just google scandi art as there's a lot around. A couple of the little woven footstools would also look good in the corner of the rug and accessories for the coffee table. Sorry that all adds up to a fortune and I'm not even sure that's the style you're after!

• Bridget Browes
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Hi thanks Minnie

I have only just finished painting etc so yep -throw will happen looking at a big woven foot stool too. The floor is quite yellow/ orange oak so think I need to think about that and not emphasise that..

Will post another photo as it develops..ta
  • minnie101
    8 år sedan

good luck with it. Do post a pic. It's a great room so will be good to see it completely finished

• PRO
    Wallboss
    8 år sedan

Different cushions, curtains, maybe a rug and a set of forest birch tree wall decals in colours that complements the sofa. www.wallboss.co.uk

• User
    8 år sedan

Buy a load of cushions (remember you can take back the ones you don't like) and experiment! I have similar pale blues with a taupe floor in my living room and it's amazing how much difference a splash of red and turquoise in the cushions has made. BIG CANVAS ARTWORK on walls, but bright paintwork on your new built-in units sounds dangerous. Also might be nice to go for a huge plant. After all, Scandinavia always conjures up images of woods and greenery and I think your large room could definitely take it. If you don't fancy looking after a real one, you can get some amazing artificial plants that absolutely do look like the real thing. Good luck

• PRO
    itondoart
    8 år sedan

Bridget, if you want colourful artwork, I'd suggest looking for palettes in warm yellows, white, a little blue and lavender.

But I also think a restrained, somewhat formal piece would work well - it would fit the gently refined atmosphere of the room. For example, this Valerie Sparks (from This is No Fantasy gallery) would look stunning. Bring colour into the room with ornaments and a throw or two.

If you want to see what this work would look like on your wall, download our app on itondo.com. Using your iPad or iPhone, the work will appear on your device installed on your wall to scale and in real time - you can move around the room freely.

Good luck finding your perfect solution!

• Bridget Browes
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Hi guys
    Thanks for all the comments
    The room has not been dressed as yet i.e. ornaments- not keen on loads of cushions what do you do with them when you want to sit down- put them on the floor!
  • Natalie Patton
    8 år sedan
    I was just looking at a duck egg blue and gold (very light gold) wallpaper online I think something like that would look fab in ur room as a feature wall and you defiantly have the wall space. I'd accessorise with some gold pieces and maybe bring in another colour as accent.
  • Natalie Patton
    8 år sedan
    Bridget your cushion comment made me laugh there is nothing worse than flat looking cushions so unless you want to replace them every couple of month the floor is where they spend most of there time. I am though a cushion lover and for a general look of a room they can add so many dimensions but practical they are defiantly not
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 år sedan

Your lounge has a lovely, calm atmosphere with a clean but ethnic look. Of particular interest is the horse sculpture which has a Middle Eastern or Far Eastern influence. Consider using cushion covers with ethnic designs in shades of blue, bringing in some red, orange and yellow. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oriental-Cushion-Moroccan-Osborne-Little/dp/B00ITXT4WA and Add some large table lamps for atmosphere, but keep them simple like the large glass jars from Pacific Lifestyle http://www.pacific-lifestyle.co.uk/910,92,kiri_mercury_glass_table_lamp_base_only.html Lastly, choose artwork that works within the room, but artwork that you will enjoy viewing day after day.

• Catherine Hounslow
    8 år sedan

You could add bright modern art prints or alternatively, genuine paintings bought cheaply from Art schools or local exhibitions . Interesting large based table lamps . Large unusually shaped and unusually finished, mirrors . Rich fabrics -its a blank canvass!

• Juliet Docherty
    8 år sedan

My Houzz: A Mid-Century Marvel Revived in Long Beach · Mer info
    Hi Bridget. I tend to think of Scandi style as lots of natural wood, natural textures (wicker, sheepskin, knobbly fabrics) and more conservative on the colour. Also huge plants and statement pendant lights. A huge driftwood mirror would look beautiful with your stuff. Good luck.

• Bridget Browes
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Large bespoke AV unit made my The BIg Box Company based Kimpton, Hertfordshire
    Delight with the result - second one will be up dated asap!
  • PRO
    Baa Stool
    8 år sedan

How about adding colour texture and warmth with some sheepskin?

Baa Stools · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.