shinerdog

Exterior color scheme

shinerdog
8 år sedan
Paint brick or not? Color ideas for either?

Kommentarer (7)

• qam999
    8 år sedan

If I were wanting to improve the look of your already charming house, I wouldn't paint the brick, but would instead:

1) Have an architect design a new railing for the balcony that blends better with the house's style

2) Consider painting shutters, windows, and door all a single color, perhaps a dark slatey blue (which would be stunning with your brick)

3) Work on landscaping, with layered shrubs framing the house

• PRO
    The North Star Companies LLC
    8 år sedan

painting brick is a somewhat permanent solution that is difficult to reverse. Your brick does not that dated. I agree with the previous comments to:

1. Change the railing as the design is dated. I would use wrought iron again but would do a more modern rail.

2. Change the wrought-iron columns (temporarily support the roof and replace them one at a time) with either fiberglass 8" tapered, or square columns trimmed with thermoplastic to create recesses down each side (similar to a coffered ceiling)

3. Replace the shutters with a darker color and paint the front door a color that will stand out.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 år sedan

Consider taking your home in this direction.

Quinlan Residence · Mer info

• shinerdog
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Slatey blue? All the railing is original to the 1958 house. We were going to paint that as well. The problem is not so much the brick but the mortar. It's a mauve/pink. Slate wasn't what came to mind first but, I'm no professional.
  • shinerdog
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    @decoenthusiaste
    Thanks for your suggestion. If you look closely, the builders in 1958 used a pink/mauve mortar on the house for some reason. I'm not a fan of all the white in you suggested photo. Any ideas to disguise the mortar without painting the brick? Trim and shutter colors along with the gabbles on either side of second story. Thanks,
  • qam999
    8 år sedan

Mortar can be painted - while leaving the brick as is. It would be a big job, but no real maintenance issues. The porous mortar will probably hold paint well. You could experiment a bit at the least visible corner of the house before making a decision.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.