bitesfortots

sideboard decor help!

Rebecca Rakusin
8 år sedan
hi! just purchased a white washed wood sideboard, I desperately need help with lamp ideas, whether to get a mirror or a photo up top etc.

thanks! btw - the last 2 photos are of the living space. we are in a condo.

Kommentarer (105)

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    oh I'm loving the torqoise and yellow! does it matter if I don't have any yellow in my living room?

which should I get? my husband said he'll help me find that mirror (after loads of begging lol)
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Okay so I bought paint! will paint soon and take a pic! I bought that exact paint colour. Thai Teal.
  • groveraxle
    8 år sedan

I thought you had a mirror on order already? Though actually, it's better if you don't. Get the wall painted first. Then we'll find your mirror and lamps and accessories to go with.

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I did order a mirror but I canceled it. I thought it was 42" but it was only 32 something small. I am in the looks for a bigger one. I don't think a small one would look good at all
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Okay here it is! I kinda like it! it's pretty dark outside but it'd basically the same color as the photo
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I'm going to clean up and get kids ready for bed. tomorrow is school/work/midwife appt but I'll see if I can run and get a nice plant and a lamp. then I'm on the hunt for another mirror....
  • Kendra
    8 år sedan

Ditch one of the lamps. Add a basket underneath, fill it with a pillow and/or a blanket to soften up the space. Add seasonal decor on the top at differing levels. Keeping with the same color pallet, with a mixture of textures.

• Susan King
    8 år sedan

Rebecca, it looks wonderful, can't wait to see it completed.

• Ann
    8 år sedan

Nice paint color!

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I just have to accessorize but I really love the paint color.

should I stick to just a mirror or do a collective of wall art/mirror?
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    also sorry for the mess I'm super tired today lol
  • Ann
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

I think those lamps are too small and delicate. Paint color is wonderful.

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    yes Ann I agree, I wanted to get a nice big floor lamp, or should I get one colorful lamp? maybe one witn a glass base or something?
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    should I put artwork on the sides and mirror in the center?
  • groveraxle
    8 år sedan

You know the lamps have to go, right? I wouldn't do a mirror that's any wider than the console.

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    thanks groveraxle!yes I've said it a lot in this discussion that I don't want those lamps there, it's just so so dark in my condo, the only light is in the dining room so I desperately need some light. I am loving the mirror ideas you sent, I'm glad I canceled mine it was so tiny.

do I put back those wicker chairs? or at least one of them?
  • Janine McWood
    8 år sedan
    Definitely get rid of the lamps and put 2 cool pendant lights above the chairs as the feature.
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    sorry what are pendant lights? lol!
  • Kristin Marvin
    8 år sedan

groveraxle has been amazing and right on. I really think the way you had your furniture before, with the blue chairs in the living room looked good! Use the wicker chairs on each side of the console!!! Be sure to pull them out from the corners--a mistake so many people make by pushing furniture into corners and tight against walls. Your paint job looks great. Do the sunburst mirror idea. Eliminate the small lights on the table. You have to think safety for the kids. Don't put a lamp on the table. Put a lamp behind one of the chairs like the swing arms. I just bought a great lamp from ballard for $99 and it is in a tight spot. Here is the lamp: http://www.ballarddesigns.com/julian-apothecary-floor-lamp/lighting/floor-lamps/362685

or this: http://www.ballarddesigns.com/bradley-task-floor-lamp/lighting/floor-lamps/356093

If you like IKEA then do a swing arm from there--the shade might be awkward behind the chair for sitting or space/look. A swing arm you can adjust to just where you want it! I have two wicker chairs on sides of a small square farm table. It is a nice spot and we use it for putting shoes off and on in our lower level. This can work. I would keep it safe and simple. Do some plants--fake--I hear IKEA has a bunch--since it is low light. You could do one on the top shelf on top of a few books laid flat. Add one photo to the left for height and one in the center. Put your book/plant on the right--or vice versa.

For the bottom put a basket you could hold some stuff. Is it by the door? Mittens and scarves? Then I would add another plant on the bottom as a filler--with height. It will take awhile before it looks like too many plants. Plants were our best decorator when my husband and I started out--we had hardly any furniture! Now, still the best decorative item around. And don't forget to stop and think about what YOU like regarding finishes, styles. We are here to give advice on set-up but you need to buy what you like to fill that space. :)

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Thank you so so much! everyone has been so spot on and such a huge help. I'm going to bring in the wicker chairs tonight and go for a tall lamp.

I'll update soon! thanksss
  • Jane Rumsey
    8 år sedan

A colage of different size pictures frames in pretty colors, you can find them at thrift stores cheap. Spray paint your favorite colors. Also Hancock Fabrics has pretty lamps on sale. They need to be tall.

• merrigay
    8 år sedan

Go with groveraxle's suggestions.

• Heidi Timmons_Owens
    8 år sedan

Didn't you say you have two small kids and another on the way? Wow, go momma! I think painting the wall was enough. It looks fabulous, gorgeous with that teal. Perfect. Just sit down, relax, have some chamomile tea. The thought of you running around looking for a lamp just makes me worry for you.

• Erin Frost
    8 år sedan

paint table gold or copper, a collection of b&w photos of your lovely family on wall, lose table lamps, liking the floor lamp option :)

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    thanks everyone! yes I have a 3 year old boy, a 2 year old girl (in 3 weeks) and I'm 23 weeks pregnant with another little girl! I found a mirror I really liked. it's approx 4.5 feet big all around so it'll take up a good portion of the wall which I liked.

what do you think??
  • Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    here the space with the chairs. I took the faux fur fabric from ikea and cut it, the 1 was too big and floppy. how are the pillows?

my kids are loving the lamps haha but I'll get a floor lamp this weekend hopefully.
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 år sedan

When table is topped with lamps the two together should reach 58-64" above the floor. I'm not a fan of sticks as decor. Once you get the lamp height and visual volume right, you won't need the tall vase and sticks to achieve height. A piece of art or colorful framed poster 75% the width of the table and hung 5" above it will complete your vignette.

• Erin Frost
    8 år sedan

wow. u painted the wall. Good work. Now sit back & enjoy....

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    decoenthusiast- what do you mean "sticks as decor"..?

I'm taking it one day at a time! only son much I can do on my own. with my big ol belly and my 2 muchkins lol
  • terry toon
    8 år sedan
    Beautiful color on your wall and the mirror you have coming looks great. But I wonder about having two chairs there, as I think no one will ever sit in them. I like the two poufs idea, so the kids can move them around by themselves. And baskets for toys or outerwear. ps I use sticks as decor!
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 år sedan

I was referencing the sticks in the tall skinny vase to the right of the table. Sticks and faux clocks don't make it as decor, IMO.

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    oh okay..I kinda like it though lol! Thanks!
  • PRO
    Pachaus Studio, Inc.
    8 år sedan

Rebbecca- everything is looking great! I am just seeing this post and wanted to offer a few small ideas that would tie the whole room together & create a cozy family space. I simply started sketching a rather messy drawing to help show where to place items and how it might appear.

-I like the mirror sunburst being nestled down between the lamps as shown. The lamps do not bother me, especially if you need the light.

-It might be nice to find pillows in an accent fabric color taken from the paint and upholstered chairs(light blue and dark blue). You could have these pillows on both the sofa and the chairs. You could even have window panels in a sim. color scheme.

-It might look nice to add two prints above the chairs- maybe ocean prints

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    omgosh Leslie I can't believe you did this! this helps so so much! I originally wanted to put something above the chairs but this definitely makes it more clear! this is so perfect...thank you! Xox!
  • PRO
    Pachaus Studio, Inc.
    8 år sedan

I really had fun with designing and sketching it! cant wait to see how it all comes together :) xoLL

• Ann
    8 år sedan

Very cool of you to do that, Pachaus Studio!

• Kristin Marvin
    8 år sedan

Checking back in. I disagree that the chairs will not get used. Either way they look good there. Definitely tie the colors into your main living space. By just picking up the blue in the prints/pillow a bit. Pachaus Studio has it right. It is what many have suggested, and you basically have, just in final view. And the containers on the bottom for storage--a mom/family needs that. :) If the table is sturdy enough and you are not worried about the tip factor--Or if you have a tip kit--then I would definitely use an open soft basket to hold some items for the kids--toy cars, soft toys, small books, etc. that is if you house it in you living room anyway. You could find your little ones end up perching on the soft chairs to read a few books!

• PRO
    Manhattan Home Design
    8 år sedan

I think your room is looking really good, with young children it can sometimes be difficult to create the perfect room, but you can continue to blend creativity with practicality where possible. I thought a lovely rug would suit the room, adding to the lovely blue against the dark floors, which can make a room feel small in the winter. Maybe some florals to match the cushions? In our store we also offer some lovely womb chairs in a slightly contrasting blue that might add a further dimension to the room, and would inject some fun for your whole family. Good luck with this project it is lovely to see progress being made and look forward to seeing what follows next :)

• acjlwkm
    8 år sedan

I'm entering this discussion pretty late but I'm wondering if you considered using just one wicker chair on one side of the console. You could put the floor lamp beside it and have a kind of reading area. Then you could use one blue chair and one wicker one in the living room and maybe use the second blue chair in a bedroom. It might be nice to break up the pairs so things don't look too matchy-matchy. Pouffs on the other side would be nice. A tall plant would be best but it wouldn't survive without any light. I LOVE the new wall colour. I think the chair needs more presence--maybe a big brightly coloured cushion. Yellow would look wonderful against the teal wall and you could yellow accents in the living room to tie things together. On another note, I can't believe you have the energy to even think about doing all this let alone actually doing it. I had two kids under two and I the only thing I ever had on my mind was how to get more sleep. My decorating style could have been described as early overflowing laundry baskets and with gaudy plastic toy accents. Your kids are unbelievably cute. Remember, the rest of it is just stuff. Your wonderful family means you already have a wonderful home.

• chuppi
    8 år sedan
    like the womb chair suggested by Manhattan design....
    It would be a nice to be able to put your foot up for a few quite moments...
    You might even consider adding ottomans in front of your chairs to be able to put up your feet.
    Love the brick arch in your living....
    Good luck with adding comfort & fun to your lounge area!
  • chuppi
    8 år sedan
    In the sketch below is shown the accent wall of your living...serving these purposes
    1. Cozy single seater with ottoman & complimenting floor lamp.
    2. Storage glass shelves serving as book case or display unit
    Probably with a money plant pot..
    The storage shelves mounted on the side wall makes it
    invisible from living room area, making it look less busy from
    There.
    3. Gallery wall with photos of those precious moments..
    reminding how blessed you are..
    4. The eye candy colour of the wall making it the focal wall...

The key is to know what function you are trying to achieve by your layout...
    & if you buy anything invest in quality pieces.
    Your apartment has great features & you have a gr8 taste...
    Keep going...
    Good luck!
  • Susie Bell
    8 år sedan

I think that a bunch of little photos and nick nacks looks cluttered. One frame with 3 photos would look better.

• lisa_esqueda
    8 år sedan
    You need art and a bigger lamp
  • sillycannoli
    8 år sedan
    With 2 kids and one on the way, that wall might be better used for storage. Try ikea billy bookcases, kallax or besta
  • Michele
    8 år sedan
    Definitely put a large mirror above the table, it will visually open up the space and make it appear larger. Propping it would probably not be a good idea with little ones. Actually...do NOT prop it on table (a huge safety issue), but hang it somewhat low to the top of the table.
    The framed pics just look too contrived, so remove those.
    A taller, simple lines type of lamp, to match the clean lines of the table.
    Artwork or plates hung on walls around the mirror, depending on style of your home.
  • ourwish
    8 år sedan

Just putting my two cents in...lol I would spray paint both chairs a deep navy to tie in with the other room and to compliment the wall color. I like the idea of a mirror, sunburst, something round above the side board. I would chose only one lamp on the sideboard, I don't like two lamps there because it's a small space (personally I think people think things have to be matchy matchy, I like to be different.) Also on top I would chose the same type OR color of frames, (I like the black) but different sizes and would limit to 3. The bottom I would go for a canvas basket of some sort, with soft rope handles to put small toys in and maybe a oval, oblong type of wood bowl filled with three or four decorative balls, (not heavy though, because of the kids)... and maybe some pictures above the chairs, keep them simple.. best of luck, keep us posted.

• myplaceone
    8 år sedan

There are certain principles involved with designing any room with any furniture you may already have. I always stick to the "wave" idea. The height of things around a room need to strike a balance and sometimes symmetry. In this site you are getting so much advice from too many people. Do you have a friend whose home you admire? Perhaps you could ask that friend to actually be there and access the room. Also, what the room is used for has impact on the design. Try moving things around in the entire room, in my opinion the sideboard flanked by two chairs is against a too small wall to carry that. There are so many things you could do with that situation. Think about it. Scale is very important.

• sasknellie
    8 år sedan

I understand that you need lighting in that part of the room. Instead of the small lamps or a floor lamp, what about wall sconces? Safer with the children and won't take space on the table.

• Lainie D'Eon
    8 år sedan

Wondering if the new baby has arrived yet. With your increasing family you may want to replace the buffet for a toy storage cupboard that would have a drop down shelf for the kids to use as a play table.

• Rebecca Rakusin
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Hi! yes she has arrived almost 4 weeks ago. we have also moved into a house! please check my latest post! I have questions again! lol!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.