ed_kat

Adding a mother in law suite

Kathy
8 år sedan
We are looking to add a 30x25 suite above a 2 car garage. Walk in shower, small kitchen with a small island/bar, living room with sliding doors to a deck and 1 bedroom. Also a laundry area, small walk in closet and a utility closet. The tiny homes utilize space well, this can be neat! Any ideas of a layout? We are starting from a blank space. Any ideas of apps that we can use to work with designing this on that anyone knows of would be great too.

Kommentarer (6)

• hayleydaniels
    8 år sedan

I guess I missed something....You said the tiny homes utilize space well but you need help on a layout?

I agree with nnigrt that you need to make sure your building codes allow you to add on to your home before going any further in your planning.

• PRO
    Kevin Moquin Architect
    8 år sedan
    There are some good offerings from Chief Architects home design suite.
    www.homedesignersoftware.com
    I echo the other recommendations to research local ordinances.
  • PRO
    Queen Bee of Honey Dos
    8 år sedan

I had a mother-in-law suite added to our home when it was built, although we currently use it as a pool house. Usually. if it is attached it isn't an issue with most towns, as nnigrt suggested, but that is something that you would want to check out.

That being said, my suite is 32x24, close to your dimensions. It is an open area that has a kitchenette with a large walk-in pantry, It also has a 4 piece bathroom and a large living area. The living area is large enough to set up with a dining, living and sleeping area. It also has a full closet and double french doors that open to the patio/pool. The suite is connected to the main house by a hidden pocket door. I wish I had better pictures up right now, but you can see the kitchenette here - last image under heading "Hanging Microwaves" http://www.queenbeeofhoneydos.com/microwave-location-options/

and part of the living area here http://www.queenbeeofhoneydos.com/the-5th-wall-a-designer-ceiling/ -scroll down to the image with the cedar beams. The shot is taken standing in the bed area; however the view was intended to show off the ceiling, so the room isn't fully displayed. But you can get an idea of how much space you would have to work with. It is quite large.

• Lianne
    2 år sedan

@Queen Bee of Honey Dos, (I realize this post is 5 years old), do you happen to have a layout of your in-law suit and how it's connected to the main house?

• PRO
    Queen Bee of Honey Dos
    2 år sedan

I think I still have a few images of the in-law sweet on my Instagram. @queenbeeofhoneydos

If you will scroll down my feed, you can see the dark cabinets (kitchenette) that I did in there. The room with the cedar beams and travertine floor is the main area. Kitchenette is at the foreground in that image. I am taking the photo from the location of the bed facing the eating area with the living room area just out of the image at the right. Double doors leading to the patio are located (out of frame) to the left of the black hutch.

If you will get me your email address , I would be happy to forward the layout. It may take a minute or two to find the file, but I would be happy to help. Don't post it, as that isn't safe. But, you can contact me via my email on my website and I will respond. FYI - our hearth room is located on the opposite side of the wall in that image. You can see the pocket door going off of the kitchenette where the two spaces connect. That door is located to the left of my hearth room fireplace and book shelves. (also on my IG)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.