dshiggins

Need help with an open kitchen and family room area

dshiggins
8 år sedan

I took down the wall dividing the kitchen and family room some time ago and I do like the openness of the space. We aren't crowded around our kitchen table anymore. I did leave a small section of the wall on one side, about 12 inches, and the other side has large cupboards. but I still need more definition between the two rooms. There are false beams in the family room and I'm thinking there should be a beam across where the wall used to be between the rooms. Then I was thinking a narrow screen or half wall on each side that would add a little more to reduce the opening between the two rooms.

The picture gives you some idea. The wall at the end of the cupboards does line up with the wall on the other side of the opening. So perhaps someone has an idea of how to keep it open but add a little definition to the two rooms. Thanks so much.

Kommentarer (3)

• erinsean
    8 år sedan

I would probably add another beam where then wall used to be and leave it...I like the open space.

dshiggins thanked erinsean
  • PRO
    Daniel H. Houde Design
    8 år sedan

You could do something like this to help divide the space

dshiggins thanked Daniel H. Houde Design
  • PRO
    Kureshi Design Group
    8 år sedan

I think your open space is lovely and would not add any separating dividers or beams. If you want to differentiate the spaces a bit more, I would work on changing the light fixtures, perhaps a nice fixture that hangs lower down above the kitchen table, it still creates some visual definition between the two rooms. You could also highlight the eating space with a new paint colour above and below the chair rail or update the millwork on the left wall with the small tv. In addition to this, I would definitely remove the mismatched frames on that wall with the small tv, if you would like to do a family photo gallery, there are lots of resources on houzz and pinterest to help with designing one or you can choose one piece of art and display. I really do like what your space looks like, its such a great layout, and those beams are to die for. Hope this helps! We would love to see an update of what you decide to do with the space!

dshiggins thanked Kureshi Design Group
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.