edubya

POLL: Technology in the bedroom - Yes or No?

Emily H
8 år sedan

Gorki Apartments Berlin · Mer info

TV, smartphones, fitness trackers, smart watches, laptops, tablets...Technology is everywhere – even in our bedrooms. When it comes to your bedroom – do you allow gadgets in your room or do you prefer to keep your bedroom tech-free?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes, definitely!
No way!

Kommentarer (128)

• alice68
    8 år sedan

I used to keep my bedroom totally tech-free--not even an alarm clock. There are certainly no tv's or computers in my bedroom (but that is only because I have a separate study), but my Nook is my bedtime companion that I could not live without. The nook entered my life when I broke my wrist and could not hold a standard book to read at bedtime. It stayed because I love the size, weight, and the fact that I do not need a light to read it. At one point I left my cell and its charger in my study also, but as I age, I find it a good idea to have the phone by my bedside.

• PRO
    Lindus Construction/Midwest LeafGuard
    8 år sedan

While the bedroom should definitely be a place for rest, keeping your cell phone on your night stand on silent can prove invaluable during an emergency.

• kristinanadreau
    8 år sedan

bad feng shui to have all those electronics around you in the bed. a cell phone turned off for the night can be near my husband. but NOTHING else.

• Andrea Bianchi de Granados
    8 år sedan

We do have tech at our bedroom but I really prefer we'd not. When growing up, I got used to not having TV in my bedroom and that let me read more because there wasn´t anything else to do, or have good relations with my brothers, so we could watch something that we all liked. However, in those days, we didn't have smartphones.... I'd prefer not to have technology in our bedrooms. I'm going to start taking it out!

• Tatjana Grebenjuk ( Baa)
    8 år sedan

Technology in the bedroom, I think not so good for our health. Our body and mind need ercholen and many force for next day.

• betd
    8 år sedan

I said "no" but now that I think about it. I have an alarm clock radio in my room, a bedside phone and a reading lamp (not new gadgets but gadgets). And if you consider a book as technology for the mind....there is one always on my night stand. So I think I should have said "Yes"

• redecoratingtropicalcalm
    8 år sedan
    @nnigrt - perhaps some of us just no longer have parents and are childless and have the ability to turn our phones off. Don't assume that it's a choice to be uncaring towards loved ones - not everyone has the same family dynamic.
  • Sharon
    8 år sedan

My husband made me a rolling computer desk so I can work on my laptop, watch TV and do everything from right here. You would have to pry the technology in my bedroom from my cold, dead hand.

• reed398
    8 år sedan
    Yes to a certain extent, phones are generally used as alarm clocks in my house so it's best to keep those around, otherwise unnecessary though.
  • emmyreed3
    8 år sedan

My situation is unusual. I pretty much live in my bedroom! I have a three bedroom house but two bedrooms are for my non-profit, a Cinderella's Closet, that provides gowns for girls for free so they can attend Prom and other formal events. Even my entry has a quad rack for incoming gowns and my great room/living room has a quad rack of wedding gowns. So, my tv, computer and office are in my mistress bedroom. I almost never watch tv in bed but like to watch while I'm at my desk. I know that someday I will probably, literally, live in one room. In the meantime, this works for me.

• Thera
    8 år sedan
    I do take my phone to our room when I go to bed, as we have elderly relatives, but I have an Android which comes with a blocking mode for everything but the emergency contacts you choose. Our bedroom is also in a windowless basement so I have an app that plays ambiant sounds and your mp3s for a set time and it is also my alarm clock.
    Sometimes on a rainy day I'll snuggle down in our bed with a cup of tea and the laptop but it really is all about self control.
  • Linda.Linda2
    8 år sedan

I have a TV in my room to help me relax. It actually helps me zone out and fall asleep. Always need a phone, not to talk, but in case of emergency. Radio is nice too. The rest of the room is clean, minimal and no distractions.

• cdammm
    8 år sedan

Research has proven that tech in the bedroom interferes with deep sleep brain patterns. This interference results in impaired ability for the body to repair itself - an activity that takes place during deep sleep. This can be especially harmful for growing children.

• pimms1967
    8 år sedan

Nope, the only "electronic" gadgets in my bedroom are a clock radio and a landline phone (I won't give up the landline phones), I don't want a TV in the bedroom. I don't read in bed either, I don't need help falling asleep, I only listen to the radio in the morning as my alarm for work days. On the occasions I might be home sick and in bed, I will put my cell on the nightstand during the day, but that's it. Otherwise, my cell phone gets turned off every night when I go off to bed. The only TVs in the house are in the living room and the kitchen, the one in the living room gets used the most. Before my house, I lived in a studio apartment and years ago I used to take naps on the sofa. Then I read an article about how your brain makes associations with things, and I realized that whenever I was sitting on the sofa I would get drowsy, so it dawned on me from that article that my brain was associating the sofa with sleep, and I immediately stopped taking naps on sofas and I only sleep in beds (unless I don't have a choice).

• Nelida Mejia
    8 år sedan
    I have an LCD in my bedroom on the wall. Besides that I don't have a phone in there, cell phone or laptop, iPad or computer in my bedroom.
  • PRO
    All Backyard Fun
    8 år sedan

I think kids are the most important ones who should not have TVs in their bedroom.

• crazygirlohmy
    8 år sedan
    No no no
  • PRO
    StudioSKY
    8 år sedan
    If by technology you include music, then absolutely. I find it very relaxing to listen to music before going to sleep and more compelling to wake up to also. TV's on the other hand in the bedroom can be problematic. At least that is my experience, without self-control.
    However, I also have a solution for customers that includes headphones in case one person wishes to listen to music while the other goes to sleep, or to finish a tv program.
  • Nicole Mehelich
    8 år sedan
    we did not bring technology into our room until a few weeks ago. we had an extra tv, so we're trying it out. last year I was sick with a stomach bug, and my husband quarantined me in our room with no tv, and it was torture. now he's facing a potential surgery, and wants to have a tv, so we're trying it out.
  • N K
    8 år sedan
    never had a TV in the bedroom, but love the surround sound music system, hubby uses a laptop occasionally, I read on my iPad, and keep my cell phone incase of emergency calls. ( agree with other posts re using the "do not disturb" function on settings for my iphone and ipad at night).
  • hutoxi
    8 år sedan
    Nothing except the land line. The bedroom is for sleeping and that includes my 18 yr old's too.
  • purchasing
    8 år sedan
    Unfortunately I have a tv in my room but turn off cell phones at night. But I do believe in not having technology in the bedroom, just have not achieved it yet :)
  • dlongbow25
    8 år sedan

Only tech in the bedroom I consider okay is a mobile phone with "blocking mode" on so only close relatives can contact in an emergency and my tablet is plays a white noise while we sleep. No TV or pc, those are reserved for the office, living room or theatre room.

My wife is terrible as she will wake in the middle of the night and rather than concentrating on going back to sleep, will log into FB or something of the like and be even further woken by the stimulation of light and "entertainment".

Also, if you are so sick that you can't get out of bed, then you should be sleeping, not putting off sleep for entertainment (of course if it is a serious illness then that is a different circumstance, but I am talking about the average healthy person/family).

• User
    8 år sedan

No TV in the bedroom, ever! We traveled together for years and I always hated having the TV blaring in the room where we slept. No computers either. But, I do recharge my cellphone nearby and use it for an alarm, and occasionally read books on my iPad in bed.

• Majile McCray
    8 år sedan
    If not I'd be bored to death!
  • Marian M
    8 år sedan

Only an ebook and a telephone (in case of emergency). That's it!!

• ddelongc
    8 år sedan

I actually took the tv out of my bedroom. As long as I have a great novel I'm fine. My cell phone stays in the kitchen and is turned off.

• Ramah
    8 år sedan
    Absolutely not. I do however understand that if one is sick and in bed then by all means having a laptop to watch movies or having your smart-phone would be fine but for me and my hubs...no way. The bedroom is for sleeping and having fun and that doesn't include the tv.
  • tmushrooms17
    8 år sedan
    The design on the Pillow's is awsome!!
    Thank you..I have a fotographic mind ..
    I'am going to make this....
  • gordy71
    8 år sedan
    generally my answer would be no. but my phone is my alarm clock. in the bedroom that is the only function. I think I might panic if it rang in the middle of the night.
  • bethanieprovan
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Hey, I don't have Facebook or twitter or anything so I don't know if uploading this comment will work but here goes. Research...not just recent but stuff that's been known for quite a few years now... tells us that we are messing badly with our own electrical frequencies. It is the root cause of many degenerative conditions, including cancers. The fact is things like cancer triggers are in everybody all the time, in me and you right now, but if your not going to give your body the down time it needs to fight the cellular battles and make the repairs, then you too may end up a statistic. Given the sorry state of most people's diets, surely radio frequency free sleep is the least we can do for ourselves. Keep the stuff well out of bedrooms. All day too, your coil spring mattress is like a battery, it fills up with charge and leaks it out all night even if you think you have taken your gadgets away. Just do the tech stuff somewhere else.

• Judy
    8 år sedan

I used to have problems with insomnia a LOT, 1 of the most common tips I was told was to remove the tv and any other electronics from the room, even in sleep mode they give off sounds and lights that can interfere with sleep, I removed the tv and insomnia is pretty much something of the past for me. My bedroom is for sleeping, I do read in bed for maybe 20-30 minutes before falling asleep but only paper books, no Kindle. I don't think I've ever used a computer in the bedroom, I sit at a computer most all day so at night it is always turned off. I do keep my cell phone by my bed but it's in Do Not Disturb mode from 10 pm to 6 am with only 2 emergency contacts being able to get through and they would never call or text unless it was urgent. I like my "disconnected" time very much.

• lilyanddaisy
    8 år sedan
    No TV...at all! I have not had a television in over 20 years. I see it here and there but not with any regularity. Don't miss it at all. So definitely not in the bedroom! As to the rest, I have a battery Braun alarm clock and my best buddy, my kindle e-reader. Cell phone and iPad stay downstairs. Occasionally bring iPad upstairs for fun occasionally but all the research says to reduce the glare from tablets etc before trying to sleep. Cell phone is ringer off 100% of the time. I had a year from hell in 2001 with the cell ringing constantly with family trauma--deaths, disasters, surgical nightmares--and any ring still brings up a sense of recall of trauma in me. But what I have learned from 20 years with no TV and 14 years of ringer off is that I get to engage in the world--but at my speed not everyone else's.
  • sandiocd
    8 år sedan
    No TV but my iPad is my book, alarm clock and weather reporter. Also, my connection to my Houzz buddies if I can't sleep......
  • jack13
    8 år sedan

Guilty ... but streaming Pandora with soft music, the sound of rain, waves, rivers etc. helps with insomnia. Phones are in 'sleep' mode from 11 pm to 6 am.

• alice68
    8 år sedan

Just out of curiosity, for those with kids, especially teens, where are their computers? My computer has always lived in my study, but my kids, lacking a study, always used their bedrooms as a multi-purpose room that included a desk for study and a computer stand. Computers are such a basic tool these days, I can't imagine a child without a personal computer. My kids started out with a shared computer, 35 years ago, but I quickly decided that they could no more "share" a computer than my sisters and I could "share" a bike 50 years ago. They each needed the computer at similar times and they each required different setups. When the computer became 3 computers, mine went into my study theirs went into their respective bedrooms. What do other people do about computers for their kids?

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

i had it easy, my kids were teens in the early 00s where computer meant desktop computer. we had a first floor office, with 3 computers in a row. it was great, i never had to wonder what they were up to online, as they were right in front of me.

unfortunately now kids can get into all of the trouble they were able to get into just on their phone. the best idea i've heard is a table for charging outside their doors, no phones allowed in their room overnight. buy an alarmclock for them.

• ddelongc
    8 år sedan

Same here but now my daughter is too old for me to tell her what to do. (23 and counting). She has to make up her own mind about this.

• teamaltese
    8 år sedan
    Only tech are our cell phones, which act as alarm clocks and allow me to unset/reset the alarm system when the micro dog has to go out early.
  • lfellman
    8 år sedan

No, no, no, no TV. If you can't sleep, read a book. One with pages and a cover; not an electronic book.

• gramma907
    8 år sedan

After long long long years of marriage and only one TV...and getting the empty nest finally. After dinner, one could finally actually watch some TV and relax. And we found ourselves on opposite sides of what to watch!! The hubby naturally, wants to watch ENDLESS sports and politics!! I could not take that anymore, seriously!! We got ourselves dish TV as a treat to ourselves finally and I love to watch various shows and movies! So I also treated myself to ,my own TV in the bedroom. I like it. He can watch his boring stuff and I can watch my shows he rolls his eyes at! OR I can shut it off and just read in peace.

• Mirroronthewall 2b
    8 år sedan

Land line phone and clock in the bedroom. Some people are very sensitive to electromagnetic fields and haven't figured out why they don't feel well and they cannot sleep.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    8 år sedan

NEVER. My phone and Ipad are far from my bedroom. Don't you know that wifi and phone waves, electromagnetic fields, are really bad and might increase insomnia and other troubles...please, take all technology from your kids room at night...

• PRO
    Valter and Anna fon Eynik
    7 år sedan

Well, better to doesn't use anything in bedroom. But can't allow it now)) Morning alarm on the phone and some necessary things now.... But as less as better

• Etta McFadden
    7 år sedan

I say yes be cause sometimes yes. Mostly no.

• WebTech Engineer
    3 år sedan

I have a TV in my room to help me relax

• Sharon McLaughlin
    3 år sedan

I went without a TV in the bedroom for 16 years and now we have one I love it!

• Robbin Capers
    3 år sedan

No tv in the bedroom ever. We have phones (but probably shouldn't) and will sometimes look at things on a laptop in bed together, but not just zoning out or falling asleep with a bunch of light and noise going. In our future house I'm planning on a real alarm clock and keeping phones in the nearby office area.

• Nelida Mejia
    förra året

Yes. It is rarely used but sometimes on a rare occasion it is turned on Especially if one is sick or has to be isolated due to Covid then it comes in handy.

• Steph Castonguay
    förra året

We just put a TV in our room a few months ago, and I can't believe we didn't do it sooner! There is something so relaxing about chilling in bed. For us, it gives our bedroom some serious hotel vibes, but in a good way.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.