hzdeleted_5203979

Cabinet hardware...please help me to choose a style

User
11 år sedan
We have chosen to do flat slabs for in a dark espresso colour for our cabinets throughout our new home. We want to do long cylindrical stainless steel handles on the cabinets; however, our cabinet supplier requires that we to either two of the short handles or one long one with a third prong in the centre for support. I have never seen this handle done with the prong in the middle and don't know how it will look. Has anyone used it or seen it used? Should we go with two short-medium handles on the drawers or the long one with the third prong? Seems like such a small issue but we just can't decide. Please help us make our decision. Thank you

Kommentarer (13)

• User
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Anyone?
  • PRO
    Risner Cabinetry
    11 år sedan
    It is common to see a third leg on the longer pieces. It will not ruin the design. It's actually a cleaner look than having two handles but both are acceptable. If still unsure, go look at design magazines because they are the number one style of handles and you can be sure to find one with a third leg. Good luck with your project!
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 år sedan
    There are many long cylindrical pulls that don't have a third leg. Look at Amerock, Sugatsune and others. I would think that anything over 24" would want a third leg...
  • User
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Risner Cabinetry - I have looked through so many magazines and seen plenty of the handles, but none with the third leg. Would you have any pictures. I was under the impression they would look horrible.

Ironwood Builders - Our cabinetry supplier will void our warranty if we pick long handles without the third leg :( They stated that it is required for support as a lot of weight can be put into the pots and pans drawers.
  • PRO
    Risner Cabinetry
    11 år sedan
    Let me clear something up. You will not find a longer sized pull without the third leg. Reason being, if you didn't have the third leg it will bend the rail; it will not bend back. I attached a photo of what it looks like. The smaller the pull is, the stronger it is because you cannot bend it easily.

Now, I'm not sure why your cabinet guy says it will void the warranty. You can actually have a 3" pull for a pantry door (usually your largest cabinet door size) right in the middle. For pots and pans, are you cooking with cast iron pots that weigh 100lbs? If so, then upgrade your sliders. The third leg has nothing to do with the cabinets, it's just because it will bend and not go back into place.

Maybe you should think about another cabinet supplier? I hope that explains it better.

P.S. I used to design/sell for a hardware company and we carried all the popular sizes; we also made custom lengths and widths that used third/fourth legs over certain lengths.
  • User
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Risner Cabinetry - Thank you for all this information. I really appreciate it. I think what you are saying is exactly what would cabinet supplier said and that is why they will not do long handles without the third leg. When the damage occurs they won't warrant it. We can choose the short handles and double them up on every drawer.

We are building a new home and for our specific community, we are dealing with this particular supplier. I can see that there is a valid point to it. I do have a few questions, if you don't mind:

1. Would you take one long handle with three legs over 2 short handles with 2 legs each?
    2. How long should we do the handles on the drawers or cabinets? We have a very contemporary/modern taste and have chosen dark ebony cabinetry in a flat slab and dark brown flooring.

Thank you again for all your help and input. I really appreciate it.
  • PRO
    Barbra Bright Design
    11 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 11 år sedan
    Hi Princess_q, Although, a third leg is not my first choice--I really don't mind it. One long pull will give you a clean sleek look vs. two on a drawer. I also think after they've been installed for a few weeks, you won't even notice them. The mind does wonderful things.
  • cjohnston
    11 år sedan
    Trust your instinct and go with the single long handle with the 3rd leg. I have never seen cabinetry with two totally separate handles on a door. This would look very peculiar.
  • PRO
    Risner Cabinetry
    11 år sedan
    My suggestion is to buy several sizes and find volunteers to hold them up against the cabinets to allow you to view them. Don't attach them, just figure a way you can see them and make the right choice you like. Sometimes, you just can't plan everything in advance.
  • User
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    I don't have a sample of our cabinets or the pulls :( The pulls were shopped through the Richeleau catalogue. I'm a little nervous.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 år sedan
    Richileau has excellent handles/pulls. Good selection and good company.
  • User
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    We have 9 foot ceilings and double stacked cabinets on the uppers (42" and 12" I believe). What size handle should we place on each door for a modern feel. We wanted to do horizontal cabinets; however, our cabinet supplier says we would have to add a 2" filler beside any cabinet that is next to a wall or gable. I'm not sure how that would look and it may take away the clean look I want and modern feel. Also the drawers are 36" wide. Any idea what size handles we should do? We will keep them vertical. We have flat slab dark brown cabinets.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.