sue_michael

Big Huge walls in Dining Room need help please!

Sue MIchael
8 år sedan

I have been stuck for years trying to figure out what to do with these tall huge walls. I have looked at a ton of artwork and decor in the stores, but I don't know what to buy and what to do. Do I hang several art pieces? Do I paint the walls different colors? Do I place molding in the walls? I feel so stuck. Any advice? The walls are so wide and tall, I feel it's very challenging. I'm looking for specific detailed advice please! Like what to do of but exactly. Thank you!!

Kommentarer (33)

• fleurish73
    8 år sedan

I have an area similar to this in my house, so I'm curious to see what is suggested.

Sue MIchael thanked fleurish73
  • Irish Saver
    8 år sedan
    How about painting the walls? Choose neutral colors Taupe for instance then the wall with the Windows a little Darker that's your cheapest route.
    I am attaching art to show you how I did a 15' wall in my hallway and again over my couch for examples!! No right way. Hey got to start somewhere
  • miacometlady
    8 år sedan
    Duplicate post...?
  • Sue MIchael
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Thank you all for the advice. To answer some questions...I am planing on painting the banister and the walls. I had the buffet table under the mirror, but it was too cramped. So I just recently moved it to this new spot. I think I need a less deep buffet to fit better under the mirror. I also ordered a new chandelier and rug. Hopefully it will work better.
  • PRO
    signarture
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Agree with Jillian the ID student: do keep art at a human level, ie don't double hang it, go for a couple of very large canvases that echo the scale of the room, rather than groupings of smaller pieces. We offer a selection in our online gallery when you get to that. Good idea to have ordered a new chandelier - one with more "coverage" would be the most effective and dramatic way to maximize the void.

Sue MIchael thanked signarture
  • Sue MIchael
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    What do you guys think of this new chandelier? Does it work well or do I need something bigger? Thanks!
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    8 år sedan

I agree with the floor to ceiling curtains. I was going to suggest a new chandelier that took up more of the height of the room. We custom make these for our clients, and tailor them to fit their room. What's great though, is that the glass pendants help fill in some of the void of the room.

You should also focus as others have said on something on the larger (longer) scale to help fit the scale of the room.

www.shakuff.com

• PRO
    Bev Moriarty Interiors, LLC
    8 år sedan

Floor to ceiling draperies and have you considered a wall covering with a tone on tone pattern?

• Wendy
    8 år sedan
    I agree with Shakuff regarding the light fixture.
  • Wendy
    8 år sedan
    if you don't like the look of cascading chandeliers, this picture is a good alternative. The light fixture is very wide and hung in the 2nd story windows. Would you be interested in doing a low profile fireplace (possibly wall mount, electric) with a stone or wainscoting mantel running up the wall?
  • erincarmody
    8 år sedan
    Definitely add drapery and I think you need a more substantial chandelier, something heavier and more dramatic that will make a statement
  • PRO
    signarture
    8 år sedan

By our previous comment that "a chandelier with more "coverage" would be the most effective and dramatic way to maximize the void", we meant exactly the sort that Shakúff has posted, from top to bottom in photos 1, 2 and 4. If you have the option to return that new one...we would. Your room would look (even more) amazing with something similar to these.

• Sue MIchael
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I see what you're all saying about the fixture....I'll see what else I can find. I like your ideas about the drapes, but I'm worried about two things. 1. It's not wide enough, so I'm worried the drapes will close off the side windows from top to bottom. 2nd issue is the amount of dust it will create, because it's harder to dust off drapes that high. I feel like I do need something there though. Someone suggested large plants in ceramic pots in front of the side windows. Any feedback is appreciated.
  • Braz latin
    8 år sedan
    on one of the wall I would hanging several arts as showing on this picture
  • Braz latin
    8 år sedan
    Also tall table lamps would help to shrink the space. Consider putting them on the buffet.
  • Braz latin
    8 år sedan
    I would move the buffet to the wall where the mirror is.
  • Sue MIchael
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I know I need to update and change the existing wall mirror. I really don't know where to start with first. Light? Drapes? Art? Also my biggest issue is that really wide and tall wall I have. I know most of you said to place art not too high in the wall. That one wide wall is my sticky point. What do I do there? I know a lot of you said art, but how many and where? What sizes or size? Should I place three mirrors in that wall with the dark wood panel under them, the decor student had posted a photo with 3 mirrors going across. Any thoughts about that?
  • teamaltese
    8 år sedan
    I suggest you start with the art. That will give you color cues for drapes and other accents.
  • Alexandra
    8 år sedan
    I agree with Shakuff. You need something multi-level like he suggested. Since room is so expansive, you should paint the walls a deep color, like: navy, deep burgundy, etc. It will do several things. First, it will make the room feel more inviting and cozy. Second, it will create enough contrast to make your windows appear like art or picture frames (a navy wall color would make the outside view with yellow tones pop).

You can also use a larger rug. The current rug is highlighting the difference between the height and width of the room.
  • Alexandra
    8 år sedan
    Actually, how about no rug?
  • Alexandra
    8 år sedan
    I also agree, the wall space between the side windows and corners of the wall is somewhat narrow. Window dressings will look too thin, unless you divide the curtains to cover all 4 vertical sections of of the wall between the windows.
    Sue MIchael thanked Alexandra
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    8 år sedan

Keep it big, simple but dramatic...

The curtains can be stationary, just need a nice amount of fullness on either side, so you may lose all or part of the side windows. You don't have to do blackout though, if you want to keep more light in the room it can be light filtering or even an elegant sheer.

#3 and #5 may be good looks for your wall color and will keep it looking light and airy in the room (vs heavy and dark).

Dining · Mer info

Beach Style Living Room · Mer info

SOMA Loft - Living Room by Kimball Starr Interior Design · Mer info

West Paces Ferry · Mer info

Spa House on the Lake - Relaxed Modern Living · Mer info

Sue MIchael thanked Shakuff
  • Alexandra
    8 år sedan
    This is what I meant if you were going with the curtains. Since your windows are not continuous, you would want to do an illusion of continuous windows. One panel on each end and two pannels on each side of the middle window/door.
  • PRO
    RT Studio
    8 år sedan

Build a ceiling kind of pergola and then install the light fixtures. You can put a drape over that pergola.

• Sue MIchael
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I liked all the advice you're all giving. thank you! I think the drapes will warm up the room too. I have a question, where can I buy these kinds of wall panels behind the mirror? Do the rest of you think these three mirrors with the panels behind them would look good in my dining room? I'm going to take that big mirror down across them and replace it with art.

• Sue MIchael
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Also those who live in the Los Angeles area...where can I purchase oversized huge wall art? I've looked everywhere, but everything I seem to find is too small. Can anyone list the stores or specialty stores that sell this kind of huge wall art? It's been really hard finding stores that sell these! Thanks.

• PRO
    Shakuff
    8 år sedan

I'm not in LA, but you may find some pros on houzz.

http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s/Artists-%26-Artisans/c/Los-Angeles%2C-CA

• PRO
    Bon Brise Design, Inc.
    8 år sedan

What a beautiful space to work with! Start by grounding your eye with a larger rug that has a bold pattern. Next, I would find oversized artwork for the opposing expansive walls. Get 4 pieces that go together, different versions or colors of the same image (think Andy Warhol, if you like contemporary styling). This also means removing the mirror altogether. I agree with others about the cascading, contemporary chandelier. As for the mirrors, I think art is going to be a better way for you to go, and you may consider employing the help of an Interior Designer to source the wall art, which may need to be purchased online versus in a store near you. I also agree with you that drapes are not a practical solution, nor do I think they will help scale the space and bring everything together.

Good luck with your dining room!

Sue MIchael thanked Bon Brise Design, Inc.
  • Sue MIchael
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I have had bad luck with a couple designers that have come by. They didn't seem to know what to do that would look great. So I want to show my photos here and see if anyone that is a designer and thinks they CAN make this space look amazing. Any designers in the Los Angeles area that think they can help me make this place look awesome? I also don't want to spend thousands of dollars. So those who work with high end clients please do not respond. I'm sure it will cost a few thousand with buying the lighting and art for walls and possibly drapes, but not looking to spend a ton. We're a young family :) I don't know if I should try those designers that do design boards? Any thoughts? Maybe I can repost this as a new post and ask for affordable designers in LA to help?

• PRO
    Soothing Company
    8 år sedan

You could add a water wall, we have some that are 10' tall (we can even customize one to go higher)...

https://www.soothingwalls.com/water-walls.html

Chi Falls Wall/Floor Fountain · Mer info

10' Bamboo Etched Waterfall Grande Floor Fountain · Mer info

• User
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

You have gotten some great suggestions so far, but all I think you need are tall curtains, a more grand chandelier, and a substantial piece of art. Not sure about budget, but living in the Los Angeles area, you should be able to find some art galleries with big art. There should be some local artists in the area that you could commission to do a painting or maybe a set.

I like the light wall color and don't think you need to paint the walls darker. You have a great, large & light space...Adding a more substantial chandelier and art as others suggested will make a huge difference.

Sue MIchael thanked User
  • PRO
    signarture
    8 år sedan

Hi again Sue MIchael. We're not based in LA, but as Bon Brise Design, Inc. suggest, you're going to have a lot more chance of finding a large piece of art that you love by casting a wider net. We've ship our artworks worldwide - in fact you can read a review from a client in Los Angeles here on Houzz - so if there does happen to be something in our signarture online gallery that resonates with you, just get in touch.

Sue MIchael thanked signarture
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.