nancyho77

Help!! Durango Waterfall Travertine Backsplash tiles sticking out

nancyho77
8 år sedan

I just had my backsplash installed and when I turned on the hood light, I was shocked to find that a number of the tiles were sticking out farther from the wall than others such that it looks very shoddy. The lighting makes it look bad. They are considering replacing some of the tiles but may need to redo the whole wall. Any advice, thoughts on this problem? The rest of the backsplash looks flat.

Kommentarer (20)

• nancyho77
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Top photo is pre grout. Bottom is with grout.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

how did the sample board feel, or look with a strong downlight? it really looks like the design of the tiles and not the installation.

do you have undercabinet lighting? if not shine your flashlight from your phone down the wall and see if they are all alike.

looking more... its hard to see where the sheets met up... perhaps the wall had an angle from a sheetrock/underlayment seam which is making some of the ends stick out. anyway check the rest to make sure its really just this spot.

• nancyho77
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I did check the rest with my phone and it appears to be just this spot. The lights on the hood do accentuate the prob. The light under the microwave is more forward and that wall looks fine. The sample board was small and flat. I used my phone flashlight elsewhere and all else looks ok. The wall under the hood is new as there used to be a window there so it should be flat. Hmmmm

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan

well. hmmm yes. an angled wall is the only thing i can think of, and it wouldnt take much to make that happen.

all i can think is if you cannot live with it (up to you) and cant bear to have that wall opened again to be re-done, to have a different kind of tile put over the cooktop. its a pretty standard thing to do. a shorter tile wouldnt have the issue of the ends sticking out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=framed+tile+over+stove&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=653&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI9_KG3NjWyAIVAXk-Ch3KYQ95

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 år sedan

I love the appearance of the irregularity. The tiles are handcut and more artistic like other split face backsplash tiles.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan

at first pass i would have agreed with you, beverly. then i noticed that nancy's issue is the fact that her tiles have a side to side repeat which installation has inadvertently highlighted. close they look fine, from a distance more annoying.

so, hmmm. i generally am a 'live with it' person but i'm scratching my head this time.

• orangecamera
    8 år sedan

Just a complete guess here, but it looks like they started tiling from both corners and met in the middle behind the stove - then "fit" individual pieces in an attempt to make it look seamless. The problem is that individual pieces are crooked. Perhaps just those bits can be pulled out and reset.

• nancyho77
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I think their first fix attempt will be to replace individual tiles. I am, however, not optimistic.

• PRO
    User
    8 år sedan

If the tile sample was not irregular, you should have them reinstall the problem area. Any good installer would have told you from the beginning if there was a problem with the wall (bulging or concaving). If this is the case you will need to fix the wall and have them reinstall the tile or go for some other complimentary tile option. However, if the rest of the tile in the kitchen is uneven, I would keep it that way. I like the look.

• nancyho77
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Tile guys boss came by to look. I've ordered another 10 Sq Feet and he will be replacing the current tile himself. He's far more experienced. They will put in new sheet rock and start anew, absorbing the costs. The right thing.

• orangecamera
    8 år sedan

Excellent outcome!

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan

you cant do better than that!

• nancyho77
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Bad news....I just found out that the tile used for the backsplash has been discontinued so I can't get any to have the tile guy fix this problem. So now I have to come up with a new solution. Would love some ideas!!! I think the edges are ok so maybe do something different in the middle? HELP!!

• orangecamera
    8 år sedan

Talk to the supplier, and see if they'll contact other customers who bought the same tile. Maybe one or two of those customers have some leftovers?

• nancyho77
    Författare
    8 år sedan

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan

well, thats too bad. it would have had to be the same production lot as well.

some people have a stainless steel sheet cut for behind their stove, if you want to get rid of that area of tiles

Maui Modern · Mer info

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan

and i'll venture to say...while it looks how it looks, it doesnt actually look *wrong*.

• orangecamera
    8 år sedan

This may be a blessing in disguise. You will find a flat surface like stainless steel much easier to keep clean than small tiles. Make sure you discuss how the transition from tile to steel (or whatever) will be done.

Before you agree to anything, make sure you see the actual material they'll be using. If you don't like it, keep looking till you find something that makes you happy.

• PRO
    Bev Moriarty Interiors, LLC
    8 år sedan

I would say this is the way its supposed to look. The tiles are different thicknesses to add the textural interest that it gives. Search stackstone on the internet and you will see that this is a "good" look! Don't worry!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.