tommyflan

How old were you when you bought your first home?

Tom Flanagan
8 år sedan

For many looking to buy nowadays it feels a world away, but once upon a time buying your first home wasn't the extravagantly priced procedure it is now!

So, how old were you when you bought your first home? Tell us below!

My Houzz: Dreamy, Organic Style in a Tampa Cottage · Mer info

Kommentarer (119)

• Tess Wijy
    8 år sedan
  • PRO
    Linda
    8 år sedan
    27 - 3 bed end terrace house in slough
  • Roxane Romero
    8 år sedan
    50. Bought 3 bed semi in Wimbledon. Needed £300k to get in and make it liveable. Given it is a 25 year mortgage, I will be working until I am 75 if I expect to ever own it outright.. Took forever to get that kind of cash together with student loans and dealing with layoffs taking up all savings. I guess this is what is in store for our young people today.
  • Kailani Knight
    8 år sedan
    32, we complete on friday! Couldn't have done it without the help of our generous parents and a lot of saving!!
  • Adrienne Shaw
    8 år sedan
    21 - a new build by RB near Manchester in 1981. Total lack of character lol
    I'm now in a 1930s home where I'm trying for an art nouveau inspired home but keeping it relatively authentic - I think I'm just confused but happy
  • k11agl
    8 år sedan
    30, thanks to an economy crisis at the time
  • Rachel Oakes
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

20, just before house prices went crazy. We bought a modern 1990's 3 bed house. Bought for £40k and sold for £136k. If we hadn't bought so young, we would never have been able to afford our current 1930s 4 bed; a nice house in a decent area. Feel so sorry for friends who bought their first home later on and who are now in negative equity in rubbish areas. We still have around £80k in equity in this house.

• Tsara Taylor
    7 år sedan

22, in 2003. 2 bed terrace with a cellar that I later converted.

Getting on the property ladder is still doable if you're careful in choices, I am not from a well off family and have worked since a paper round at 13. Now own a 2 bed garden flat in London...can only dream of a house here at the mo' but extension plans underway so fingers crossed it's next step!!

• shari39
    7 år sedan
    23........with a 100% mortgage. Makes you feel quite old!
  • PRO
    Nadine Iva
    7 år sedan
    Wow times were sure easier in the 70's and 80's. 34 and still renting:(.
  • clwyd
    7 år sedan

Bought our first home at 21 years old. It was £5,300!! A largish 3 up 3 down!

• Irene Spinks
    7 år sedan
    27. We bought a small terraced house for £21,000 our parents thought we were mad to pay that much for a terrace, we had to scrape together a deposit and bought it with an endowment mortgage. We sold it 2 years later for £40,000. The endowment was never worth the paper it was printed on thank goodness they don't do them now.
  • sanbak
    7 år sedan
    18, 1981 one of the first Equity Sharing deals - worked brilliantly for us.
  • Sara Foster
    7 år sedan
    23 in 1997.
  • dancespin
    7 år sedan
    23 years old in 1985-2 bed maisonette flat in East London. Sold it before the property crash. Best decision ever. My 23 and 25 year old still living at home!
  • Louise
    7 år sedan
    24, bought a two bed flat in London (thanks to 100% mortgages in 2006) have moved three times since then but we are absolutely in our forever home (until we retire and move out of London!)
  • Dundrum 16
    7 år sedan
    I was 25 - bought a 2 bed terrace for £6850. Sold 2 years later for £15,000... My daughter (with my help) bought her flat in Glasgow at 20 in 2011.
  • Karen Mason
    7 år sedan
  • PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    7 år sedan

29!

• verdigrisjane
    7 år sedan
    21 in 1974. We bought a 2 bedroom flat in north London for £9,750.
  • Doe Stewart
    7 år sedan
    21 in 1974, bought a 3 bedroom terraced house on the Wirral for £6750 !!
  • herbie19730
    7 år sedan
    22yrs old mid 90's 2 bed house £59950 moved 18mths later to a 3 bed detached £79000
  • Roger Ramsgate
    7 år sedan

25... 10 years on and still not broken even putting it on the market this month. Was probably the worse decision i ever made

• Louise
    7 år sedan

19 in 1983 - two-up, two down Victorian semi Suffolk/Essex border, cost £22.5k. Sold 3 years later for £46k.

• Tess Wijy
    7 år sedan
    bought mine in 1993 in Edgware 52000, sold 3 years later 130000 not bad at all!
  • rona7770
    7 år sedan

24 - one bed £36.5k in Watford 100% mortgage sold 18 months later moved to two bed Hendon 80k moved after 5 years £100k Woodford

• angelavdavis
    7 år sedan
    27. 3 bed semi in North London for £92k.
  • louisecampbell09
    7 år sedan
    I was 23 (19 years ago) and now my monthly council tax bill is the same as my mortgage!
  • Geoff Lewis
    7 år sedan

19. £52,000 end terrace ex-council. Sold 2 years later for 92K. Bought at 103K sold 7 years later.... 103K! FYI 1st house was about 8 x income. Mortgage was about 5 x income.

• clairef09
    7 år sedan

I've just bought my first house at 25. A 3 bedroom bungalow with a sea view :)

• Daisy England
    7 år sedan
    I was 20 and the house cost a small fortune of £5,500. It was a lot of money in 1974.
  • Vickie Bracken
    7 år sedan
    21-straight after I graduated from uni as I worked hard throughout saved my student loan to use as a deposit.
  • hrhjoie4
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

25 - Early '80's. Terraced house, paid 11K. Was made redundant late 90's paid off the Mortgage. It has been totally renovated throughout. Lovely house, beautifully decorated; still have it today, wouldn't part with it.

• Sandra
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

19 when I married in 1973 a new semi at a Very Expensive £7400

• PRO
    Adaliza
    7 år sedan

23 - a Victorian cottage in Winchester, bought for £22,500 in Winchester in 1983. It was on the market recently for £400,000. Fortunately we managed to move up the chain a couple more times in Winchester, to our present home. We wish our kids could afford to make property investments themselves instead of just paying rent.

• Lucy Mackie
    7 år sedan
    23, 5 yrs ago we bought a 2 bed semi in SE London, luckily we bought at the right time and were able to up size to a 4 bed semi in a nicer part of the same area 4.5 years later.
    Both times we've had to buy places that need a total refurbishment, stressful but at least you get to pick everything brand new!
  • liafruit
    7 år sedan

35, in London, 2007. Smallish yet gorgeous, held its value all through the 2008 crash, then soared again - nuts really. 8 years later it enabled me to buy a 4 bed semi-D Victorian house in Dublin! Refurbished almost entirely from salvage, by my own hand. Loving it even more than the last place :)

• hortonhearsawho2013
    7 år sedan

23 in 2008. 4 bed detatched that needed total refurb!

• amandajones0510
    7 år sedan

• PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

• aoibheann1
    7 år sedan

Just before getting married, I was 23 and he was 26.

• PRO
    Peden & Pringle Ltd
    7 år sedan
  • Kelly Dowd
    7 år sedan
    we were 19 when we bought it and 20 when we moved in.
  • Heather Toal
    7 år sedan
    25. A new build garden flat. Sold it on less than 4 years later for more than double the price originally paid. Obviously this was pre 'economic downturn'.
  • K Fitz
    7 år sedan
    Just turned when 23 signing contracts and finally completed 18 months later (new build). Finished self build of 3rd and hopefully last home at 37.
  • Claire Robertson
    7 år sedan
    I was 24 and my husband to be 32, back in 1978, we paid £19,500 for a 3 bed terrace in south London. Our eldest son bought in 2001 when he was 19 and on a small Royal Navy salary whist at university, sadly he sold it to pay for his wedding and hasn't got back on the ladder since. Our middle son bought aged 23 and our daughter with her then boyfriend bought their first flat at 21 and 22 straight from university in 2008 with one of the last 100% mortgages, they move next week into their third property aged 29 & 30. It's always difficult to get on the ladder but the sooner you start the better. We all live in Surrey by the way and nobody has been funded by the bank of mum and dad.
  • Marych O'Sullivan-Sanford
    7 år sedan

63! We moved in just three months ago and are having our House Warming on Sunday. So far 70 people have accepted. We intend to celebrate our socks off!

• acew1234
    7 år sedan
    28.... A year before the 14.5% interest rate in 1989.... Interesting times!
  • Steve Smith
    7 år sedan
    22 days before market collapse on 2008 whilst at uni struggled for 3 years on a fixed rate. now much more financially stable and looking to move up property leader on 2017
  • westcorkfarmhouse
    7 år sedan
    28 - it was in 1998, about 6 months before we got married, a small 2 bed cottage in Dublin 7.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.