nolamaz

Pocket door vs. swinging door in laundry

nolamaz
8 år sedan

We are in the process of finalizing new house plans - the original plan calls for a pocket door between the laundry and the great room. You enter into the laundry room from the garage. I do not want a pocket door there, especially as I will always want it to be closed. Do you think a swinging door (like a barroom door) would work? What about sound insulation?

Kommentarer (17)

• PRO
    Monaca Brown Design Co.
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Just so I understand, the only way into the laundry room is through the garage? There's no access to the house through the laundry so it doesn't have to be lockable? If this is the case, I think a swinging door is a great idea as long as you have the space on both sides. Keep in mind that you may have hampers or baskets in this space and you want to be able to swing the door enough to squeeze your tookus in while carrying your laundry.

nolamaz thanked Monaca Brown Design Co.
  • nolamaz
    Författare
    8 år sedan

No, you walk into the laundry from the garage, and then into the great room. But it doesn't have to be lockable.

• PRO
    Monaca Brown Design Co.
    8 år sedan

As long as there is enough room to allow the swing I think you're on the right track with the swinging door.

nolamaz thanked Monaca Brown Design Co.
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 år sedan

but if its louvered you won't get the best sound proofing, and they need to be thin panels in order to not bash corners when you open them. since this is to your greatroom, and not to a back hall, you might consider a thicker door even if you have to open and close it with one hand, and if you watch movies and do laundry at the same time.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 år sedan

Pocket doors are difficult to operate while carrying a laundry basket.

nolamaz thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • pcmom1
    8 år sedan

I always worry that someone on the other side will get a door to the face when you have a swinging door! Especially since this may have lots of traffic back and forth. And especially if there are kids and their friends.

• pcmom1
    8 år sedan

Can't stop myself...since you are finalizing plans....is the laundry close to the bedrooms? Dirty laundry comes from bedrooms and bathrooms, not from the garage.

Will you be walking thru the middle of your house with baskets of laundry? Up and down stairs?

• pcmom1
    8 år sedan

My laundry is also right next to garage. I wish it were close to the bedrooms.

Addition · Mer info

• PRO
    LampsUSA.com
    8 år sedan

I love my pocket doors-they take up less space in the room.

nolamaz thanked LampsUSA.com
  • nolamaz
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Mark Bischak, that's my thought exactly! I don't want to fumble with a pocket door. And nnigrt, it wouldn't be louvered.

• nolamaz
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Pcmom1, the laundry is close to the master bedroom, which is perfect, because it's just 2 of us, no kids. Thanks for your input!

• nolamaz
    Författare
    8 år sedan

How's the soundproofing on that type of door?

• Jolene
    8 år sedan
    Our laundry room is also the first "room" from the garage but linked to the hallway. A swinging door would drive me crazy with kids. If you will use that entrance often as we do consider if it constantly swinging with bather you and if it with hit anything if swung to hard. He have a regular door and it works fine. I would choose a regular door or pocket door.
  • susanalanandwrigley
    8 år sedan

I've been followiong this thread and admit I am confused. If the door is from the garage into an interior space - whether it be laundry room or another space - doesn't it need to lock, insulate the space, and also meet some fire safety codes? I feel like I'm probably missing something here.

• PRO
    The Sliding Door Company Canada
    8 år sedan
    The doors are made of 5mm tempered safety glass and sound reduction strips can be added to the doors. In comparison drywall is at 32 on the sound scale, the 5mm glass is at 25. Hope this helps. :)
  • PRO
    Eclisse Pocket Door Systems
    7 år sedan

Eclisse pocket door frames are all galvanized steel so you no longer have to use wood components. Eclisse hardware features a patented removable system so you never have to break drywall again to remove the track and features a 12 year residential warranty.

You aren't limited to any specific door and can even use frameless glass! We wanted to re-invent the pocket door system so you can use add-on accessories such as soft open/close, self close and double door synchronization to really open up and enhance any room in your home.

Check out more on our website! www.eclisse.us

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.