sbs1

Help with living room design

Suzi Mitchell
8 år sedan
senast redigerad:8 år sedan

I am trying to create an inviting living room that is used both as a family space and for entertaining. It is lacking atmosphere and the layout is funky for placing furniture. I have a low level media stand coming. I would love advice on layout, color, lighting, window coverings for bare windows - anything! I am drawn to nautical and scandinavian styles but live in the mountains. We also have access down open stairs to garage with a half wall.

Kommentarer (14)

• decoenthusiaste
    8 år sedan

Do you want to continue with these colors? You could simply increase the volume a bit, or dial it down. Baseboard heat limits window treatments somewhat. Do you need window privacy, light control, or are you just looking for softness and style? Consider cordless shades. You might spray paint the surrounding "baby gate" to match the stove color. You could use some MCM or Scandinavian style tables. Can you stand behind the white chair and take another photo of the opposite corner? Just comment on your own dilemma to add it with the Photo button.

Volume up...

Lounge · Mer info
    Volume down...
    Midcentury · Mer info

• Suzi Mitchell
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Thanks, yes I love pinks, blues and creams.

• Suzi Mitchell
    Författare
    8 år sedan

It totally lacks atmosphere and I am stuck with coffee table as our best man made it!

• decoenthusiaste
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

You said you like nautical and scandinavian styles. The rooms I posted are scandinavian. Start some ideabooks of rooms you like in those styles. For me, color and pattern would do it. Not sure what you mean by "atmosphere." Are you looking for cozy, styled to the 9s, or a completely themed out room? Here's a wild Scandinavian/nautical log home.

Log Home Design · Mer info

Suzi Mitchell thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Suzi Mitchell
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated

• PRO
    Eleish van Breems
    8 år sedan

Hi There, Do you have a floor plan with measurements? Could you post details of pieces you would like to keep? Tell me a little bit about the light you get. We are Scandinavian Interior Designers here in the US. Happy to help with the layout and color. Also, need to consider the function of the space. All my best, Rhonda

Suzi Mitchell thanked Eleish van Breems
  • yvonnecmartin
    8 år sedan

Your room has some lovely things, but it is not set up for conversation and the small white chair seems to be positioned as an orphan. Could you move the tv next to the stove, the couch opposite it, and one chair at each end of the coffee table? You would have a conversation area and all seating could see the tv.

As to color, you might consider a wall-hanging or pillows in Marimekko fabric. Her is one link: http://www.finnstyle.com/punikko-red-fabric.html.

Suzi Mitchell thanked yvonnecmartin
  • Karen P
    8 år sedan
    Hi! I'm wondering if you could flip the sectional so that it is facing the stove (so that one side is along the wall with three Windows and the other side on the short wall). Then put the tv console beside the stove?
    Suzi Mitchell thanked Karen P
  • sandradclark
    8 år sedan

Oh, I hope your best man does not use houzz! Nothing wrong with keeping that as a design element in this room.

I'm in love with your planned color scheme & style you like. One of the dilemmas with this room (as I am sure you are aware) are the very large chair & the fact that you are dealing with a sectional. I think you have definately handled those two elements in the best possible way.

What about the drapes? Is the baseboard heat any deterrant with furniture or drapery placement due to that?

You do have mostly light wood furniture pieces which fits into the Scandinavian & nautical theme. Mixing wood types is fine, too. I agree with maggys111 on the size or placement of your lovely area rug. What size is it? Try it lengthwise to the sectional or even at a diagonal.

All in all you have done a splendid job with the furniture placement, additions of pillows accent colors etc, however additional art can be added. I am hoping for more photos as requested. If you want to spray paint the baby gate light to made it less obtrusive, I agree, however all of your guests will understand the need for the gate & will be accepting.

Please move the two small prints to the right of the stove to a lower position or add a third one. The left of your stove is screaming for a large piece of art such as the one you have placed at the stairs. Add some books, plants & blue glass accents around the room & the best man coffee table needs more dressing up.

Breezes Original By Rex Maurice Oppenheimer · Mer info

Cyan Designs Saute Ballet Statue · Mer info

Teak Fish Sculpture · Mer info

Bryn Blue Bubble Glass Jug · Mer info

Calla Shell Vase · Mer info

Uttermost Thane Teal Green Vases, Set of 2 · Mer info

• sandradclark
    8 år sedan

Also lower the art to the left of the drapes by the lamp. Obscure the lampshade somewhat as this adds interest to the piece of art. Could use a ceramic garden stool between the stove & that white chair to set done a cuppa tea.

18" Solid Gold Porcelain Garden Stool · Mer info

My Home · Mer info

Family Room · Mer info

I was just trying to demonstrate the use of layering or placement of area rugs.

Suzi Mitchell thanked sandradclark
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

What is in the nook we see left of the stairwell and TV in the last photo you posted? Does the big chair get lots of use? I'm thinking that nook might serve as a cool spot for reading, getting on the laptop or simply relaxing. You could put the big chair there, along with the low bookcase that's beside it. I'd like to see you orient the room around the stove wall by placing the TV on a low credenza under the two windows. Then turn the sectional to float out in front of the triple window. Would be really wonderful if your sectional had a reversible chaise... The lonely chair would look good where you have the TV by the pony wall/staircase. The large mirror over the stairwell isn't doing anything for your room but making it seem colder. I would put that piece of art by the other stairs in its location. You have a cool hanging light fixture over those stairs, but it seems small to me. Could you use it elsewhere and get a larger one for that spot? The cabinet and lamp behind the white chair, and the ones under the other window, need to be ID'd better. Can you take pix of them? The little black lamp with a white shade is probably on a table, but can't ID them either. More pix will help us. Especially want to see that nook. Is it usable or is it your entry?

• missflomike
    8 år sedan
    U might want to try the coffee table on an angle in the corner between window walls. This would provide a clear focal point away from "stove". Paint the stove pipe same color as wall to make it disappear reducing it as visual competition for the eye. Angle blue sofa opposite the tv and use the current tv stand as coffee table. Other pieces can be placed around this basic arrangement. I agree with previous comments about the large mirror at stair well. Put color print there. Also, the two small wall hangings to the right of the stove don't work. The rug would work best under the current tv table as an anchor and it should run perpendicular to the sofa (lengthwise). Some editing (removal) of large chairs would make space look larger and create better transportation around ultimate seating area. Some additional lighting could bring in an interesting note too.
    This is a little bit "out of the box" but might be worth trying. It is a challenging space due to all the windows, stove, traffic paths, etc. but that's what makes it fun! Very interesting space. Post your final pics would love to see. Best of luck!
  • tooky58
    8 år sedan

Just wanted to say that I think that's a great coffee table!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.