tommyflan

POLL: Where do you start when decorating your living room?

Tom Flanagan
8 år sedan
senast redigerad:6 år sedan

Decorating or redecorating is always a procedure and a half, and apart from the work itself, knowing where to begin is a whole other battle! Living rooms are often one of the first places we look to when decorating, however with so much potential, from painting to lighting, choosing a starting point can be a bit of a dilemma. So when it comes to decorating your living room, where do you begin? Vote in our poll and leave us a comment below explaining why!

Painting
Lighting
Furniture
Flooring
Soft Furnishings
Windows
Other

Kommentarer (23)

• Tom Flanagan
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I reckon it's because we both spend so much time on Houzz ;)

• User
    8 år sedan

You may be right, I'm trying to cut back. Maybe Tech has a patch I can wear?

I've had to agree to disagree with a couple of my friends who prefer to choose the paint early on in the process, but I like to choose it last.

• teamaltese
    8 år sedan
    We tend to keep a neutral palette for walls and furniture, and I like to use the same colors. Booooorrrriiiinnnng! I know! But my nest, my rules, for my comfort. And I don't consider wall color to be a design statement, in my home, as much as a backdrop for everything else. I know how my go to paint color works in just about every light, and with other colors. So we paint first. We use Behr Silver Tradition or Light French Gray. Tradition is a greige, Gray has a purple undertone. They play well together (I know, I know. "Don't mix warm and cool color tones!"). To our eyes, they are calm and pleasing and a backdrop for our art.
  • Najeebah
    8 år sedan
    I think furniture, as thats one of the more permanent aspects, as well as flooring. Paint, I agree, Chook, should be towards the end
  • PRO
    James Sherlock Joiners & Builders
    8 år sedan

i think painting because it opens up the design potential off the room from the very start

• Lila 1410
    8 år sedan

In here I started by painting the skirtingboard behind the computer desk, because I was going to get a new computer and thought it'd be easier if I got it done while there was no computer on the desk.

• LouieT
    8 år sedan

Another vote for painting as to me it sets up the background & may even change according to the final result.

Flooring next if it's changing & then I add in large pieces of furniture & rearrange to get the layout right.

Following that comes the soft furnishings, décor & art which may exist or need to be updated but are far easier & more fun to play around with.

We may all have different approaches but when you get stuck it's great to be able to ask on Houzz for help!

• Ann Christmas
    8 år sedan
    STOCKTAKE for probable keepers like
    ART WORK, FURNITURE, RUGS, STANDOUT PIECES.
    FLOOR (we like pale tiles throughout really and use our precious rugs over them).
    PAINTING next and TRIM UPDATE.
    WINDOW TREATMENTS. This all pulls together pretty well with the use of accents etc.
    Great Fun...!
  • Noelle Skingle
    8 år sedan

I am just embarking on redecoration of our living room. It is beamed and has an inglenook fireplace. We have to ultimately consider these first! We also have a very large antique gilded mirror and a baby grand piano, apart from that I have a blank canvas :) I have just decided on a new sofa and it is enormous so colour/style etc., will be matched with that. I can't wait to get started!

• User
    8 år sedan
    Having lived through an art fest of whacky colour schemes, I no longer stress about wall colour at all. It's either cream (there's tonnes of different shades) white or murky pale blue. I find it so easy to live with and anything (furniture/artwork) goes with it. I'd like to be more adventurous but have been disappointed too many times when using strong colours on walls. Better to just accessorise with them.
  • Glyn Thomas Jones
    8 år sedan
    painting first unless you want splatters over everything
  • PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    8 år sedan

Paint first - it always changes the dimensions of a room, and with fresh colours gives the owners a different perspective as to whether to change other items in the room.

• PRO
    Design Street
    8 år sedan

I start with a brain storm and a moodboard :-)

• PRO
    Hamilton interiors
    7 år sedan

Furniture and flooring need to be long stay options, so I would choose these first, then introduce colors of walls from curtains and pick it up in cushions and rug.

that way it is easy to freshen up room in a few years without changing the major expenses e.g. new paint color and cushions

• PRO
    Witchery Rugs
    7 år sedan

If you're decorating your living room from scratch, choose the rug first. It's the big, impactful piece that ties a room together.

• Jane Bateman
    7 år sedan

I always try to be organised but end up starting everything and never finishing anything! Sitting in my half finished living room. At least I can't see the one unpainted wall behind me but I know it's there!

• PRO
    Kerry Holden Interiors
    7 år sedan

I was going to choose painting but of course there is the prep work first and foremost i.e. rubbing down woodwork, filling any holes or cracks (old properties especially!) and making sure everything is ready for that first coat of paint!.

• bertin79
    7 år sedan
    Love this colour, can you confirm the name please.
  • PRO
    The Alcove Man
    7 år sedan

Fitted furniture should be installed first!

• Becky
    7 år sedan
    I start with something I love and build the scheme on that. For my current lounge it was based around the curtains!
  • PRO
    21st Century Space Sculpture
    4 år sedan

Love the choice of colour against the rug. Plus the chandelier looks great too!

• E D
    3 år sedan

Natalia, please don’t advertise here.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.