tiffany_henderson1454

More curtains advice needed!

There's a mixed consensus amongst my family whether or not I should raise the rod above the arches. I can't picture it and wish I could photoshop them in to see if they'll look good. I'm driving my family crazy. I love the color (aubergine), just not sold on where to hang the rod.

Kommentarer (41)

• PRO
    Belle Bleu Interiors
    8 år sedan

I personally think the rod would look better placed above the arches. However, you need to make sure that the length of the curtains is appropriate when you raise the rod.

• Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Bella-If I do raise the rod, I'm exchanging this length for the 108" length.

• mandy_moo_pants
    8 år sedan
    I think the rod height is fine but it needs to be longer, hung wide enough to accommodate 3 more panels- one on either side, still flanking the windows, and one more in the middle to give the panels a fuller look.
  • shirlpp
    8 år sedan

You need at least a 2 inch in diameter rod. I'd place the curtains above the arches, they will look very nice being closer to the ceiling - as long as you follow Amanda's advice to make them look fuller.

I'd also introduce another color into the space.

• Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Shirlpp-The grommet holes are 1.5 inches in diameter. The current rod is a 1.25 inches in diameter. I did double them and they looked ridiculous.

• Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Amanda-thank you for your suggestion. I did try doubling them and it made the room feel heavy.
  • shirlpp
    8 år sedan

I think that you can get away with a 1.5 inch in diameter rod. My rod goes 7 inches past the window frame, so I am thinking that if you double the curtains as suggested, your rod will need to be extended. Did you extend your rod, when you doubled your curtains?

• shirlpp
    8 år sedan

I need a visual, so I understand what you are going through. Can you have someone stand on a chair or ladder and hold the curtains above the arches, then you will know for sure.

• Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Shirlpp-I did. Here's a photo from my other dilemma posted. Granted it was one side but you get the idea.
  • Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Shirlpp-I'll get my hubby to do it and take a picture when he gets back.
  • lynartist
    8 år sedan
    Tiffany, the rod should go above the arch. It seems your rod is a tad to short; not sure if it can be made longer. Would look nice with larger finials.
  • classysass
    8 år sedan

Not a great job but it will give you an idea.

• shirlpp
    8 år sedan

Also...I think that I like it without the curtain in the middle.

• Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    lynartist-it can go a bit longer. Thank you for your input and visual.

Classy- Thank you!!
  • Paul F.
    8 år sedan

It looks like Sophia Vergara in a low cut gown. Raise the bar!

• Kate
    8 år sedan
    Skip the middle panel, raise the rod to above the arches and closer to ceiling and use fuller side panels.
  • Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    finndian-Thank you
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 år sedan

The window shades throw this off. I would remove them. If you need privacy at night, get fuller panels that you can close.

• lynartist
    8 år sedan
    Here, found a better view. If you can extend the rod some it would make the Windows look less crowded by the drapes and you can spread the panels open a bit. They don't need to be so squished together.
  • Paul F.
    8 år sedan

• Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    shirlpp-here's the picture of the rod being held up.
  • Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    It's funny, on my other dilemma, everyone voted for the 3rd panel in the middle.
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    8 år sedan

Our design might help you

Traditional Cedar Creek · Mer info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 år sedan

Tiffany, it might be that the posters are reacting the heavy color/appearance of your panels. I think you can easily do the three panels, but possibly consider a color that is not as dark as the panels you have currently purchased.

• lynartist
    8 år sedan
    That's a good point Beverly! With them raised and extended the three should be fine, but a softer color would help!
  • RubyRoses
    8 år sedan
    my biggest problem is with the curtain stacking on the window and cutting into the arch. Get a longer rod so the curtains stack to the side, not on the window.
  • Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    While I can appreciate the softer color alternative, I really love the drama and contrast that the aubergine color brings into the space. Plus it adds much needed color in my otherwise cool tone dining room.
  • lynartist
    8 år sedan
    Well of coarse we are not in your home. I'm sure with the extra height and the extended rod it will look great. Just make sure the rod is long enough to give rose drapes some breathing room. They should stack back and just overlap the window slightly.
  • Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I've ordered the 108 inch length, 2 panels to start. I'll post an updated picture when they arrive. Thanks everyone.
  • shirlpp
    8 år sedan

Tiffany, maybe they thought that the 3rd panel was necessary, because the rod was below the arch? I think it looks best, above the arch.

I do like the picture that was posted with the lighter panels. You could bring in more warmth with your artwork and accessories.

• Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    janerama-the rod is an adjustable one, so it's not an issue. My dilemma was whether to hang the curtains higher or not, which I've already decided to do.
  • Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    As promised...the middle bracket isn't up yet. I have an inch or two that I can extend the rod by.
  • lynartist
    8 år sedan
    Lovely!
  • shirlpp
    8 år sedan

Hello...I think it looks a lot better than below the arches. My only critique is, I think the rod should be closer to the arch, like the picture that BeverlyFLADeznier is showing - what do you think?

• greyorbrown
    8 år sedan

Looks much nicer above the arches. I like it without the middle panel. And I think you should extend the rod so the panels do not cover the bit of the arch. Very nice.

• PRO
    Inspired Spaces
    8 år sedan

Tiffany, I always like to raise the panels as high as you can go. it makes the windows look taller. Your last picture looks great! The height is perfect!

• User
    8 år sedan

The problem isn't with where and I would definitely put the rod where it is and let the arched windows be unadorned. It's with the weight of your curtains, the size of the rod and the rod not being long enough so that the curtains can clear the windows.

• km kane
    8 år sedan
    I'd sure like to see those windows without the blinds down. They are really throwing your room off. Being the same color and pattern as the walls, it feels blank, plus the dark color of the curtains just looks like two/three dark vertical lines. Bring in the light!!!!
  • Tiffany Henderson
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    I'm happy with the result. Thanks for everyone's input.
  • lynartist
    8 år sedan
    Let's not nick pick here! This looks lovely!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.