bostonlady13

Love this idea. Beautiful! What is the stone and what could I line them with that would also drain out water?

bostonlady13
11 år sedan
We just bought a house and our back yard has septic tank/large leaching field, so limited space for veg garden. If I make these elegant raised beds I'd still need to line them with something so the roots of veggies don't reach down into leaching field. We're in greater Boston area. Any suggestions gratefully accepted. Also would 4 of these beds, tho' smaller, work for 4 corners of a grape arbor? That has always been a dream of mine to have... Many, many thanks.
Raised Stone Garden Beds · Mer info

Kommentarer (12)

• PRO
    Shepherd Stoneworks
    11 år sedan
    Thanks, bostonlady! I don't think you have to worry about veggie roots invading a drain field. Certain trees and shrubs have invasive roots (willows, birch), but veggie roots only go down at most 12". Good luck with your arbor.
    bostonlady13 thanked Shepherd Stoneworks
  • bostonlady13
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thanks for vote of confidence! Just wondering what kind of stone or stone face did you use for raised beds. You're a garden magician!
  • PRO
    Shepherd Stoneworks
    11 år sedan
    I tried a new concept for this. The client really wanted the beds to be absolutely sturdy and the walls to be as narrow as possible. So I hand-split about 16 tons of Pennsylvania Flagstone into 8"w strips which were then mortared in layers.

They aren't lined with anything - I find fabrics to be in most cases unnecessary and a pain to deal with over time. These beds drain well because they are porous and are filled with very rich soil.
  • bostonlady13
    Författare
    11 år sedan
    Thanks again. You are obviously the most amazing and imaginative stoneworks creator! Wish you were out our way--Seattle is very lucky. As this is my personal, mostly *but not 100%) diy project, I'll never be able to do what you did, but your design remains my absolute favorite of everything I've seen. Have you ever thought of proposing a stoneworks show for one of those DIY networks? You'd be the star,of course! Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing many more of your designs in the future.
  • Marilyn Noonan
    11 år sedan
    This is beautiful Mark. I also wish you lived out on this coast!
  • almostjane
    11 år sedan
    Have to agree with the other comments - this looks just wonderful! Plus bonus - 6 permanent raised beds - the flagstone is so much nicer than the wood or railroad ties that many people use. What a pleasure it would be to plan, plant and pick from these beautiful raised beds! Well-done!
    bostonlady13 thanked almostjane
  • mbvv
    10 år sedan
    I believe the stone walls are Goshen stone - possibly even the stepping stones
  • PRO
    Shepherd Stoneworks
    10 år sedan
    The stone used is Pennsylvania Variegated Flagstone. The stones were split onsite into 8" wide "planks" which were stacked with mortar. The paving is the same. (Maybe some people call it Goshen stone?)
  • leroystyles
    10 år sedan
    i'm attempting a similar project atm. wondering what to bed the crazy/random style bluestone in. love to get the same look as above!
    is soil or soil cement an option?
    we have a compacted base of 20mm crushed rock, 7.5cm depth.
    bostonlady13 thanked leroystyles
  • PRO
    Shepherd Stoneworks
    10 år sedan
    The paving is laid in 1/4" minus crushed rock, also known as Rock Sand and Paver Base.
  • lilliansz
    10 år sedan
    I keep coming back to this photo as well! It is my favorite out of my outdoor space ideabooks and can't wait to have something like this.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.