pambar1036

Advice on how to keep brown leather sofa contemporary

pambar1036
8 år sedan

Have taken a risk and bought a brown leather sofa for comfort factor for our living room . Previously we had white leather sofas so this is a big change. floor is French walnut as is fire place. Please can you suggest colour for curtains and cushions that will help lift and brighten the room. Other parts of house are contemporary so I do not want to make it traditional.

Kommentarer (25)

• Rachel Oakes
    8 år sedan

There are so many colours that go with brown; lime, orange, teal but these can have the tendency to look a little tacky (IMO). I'd go for golds and creams to keep it looking classy or perhaps duck egg?

pambar1036 thanked Rachel Oakes
  • Pat Auld
    8 år sedan
    Hi..... I'd stick with cream cushions in different textures. Cream throws. Large cushions with feather fillings.
    We have brown leather sofas in our main living room and have cream curtains with a subtle leaf pattern with a couple of faux fur, plain cream cotton and a few others but all mainly cream plus throws
    pambar1036 thanked Pat Auld
  • ianthy
    8 år sedan

Also think about your rugs - Moroccan type rug will look great with toning cushions. I have a brown leather sofa and love it!

pambar1036 thanked ianthy
  • mererid93
    8 år sedan

Yes, duck egg or teal, with maybe one or two contemporary geometric or Union Jack cushions.

pambar1036 thanked mererid93
  • pambar1036
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Thanks everyone. Some great ideas. Looking forward to getting the sofa in place now!

• Genia Rolfe-Smith
    8 år sedan

I would use some mustard bright yellow cushions and gold ones and some violet ones

pambar1036 thanked Genia Rolfe-Smith
  • PRO
    Revive Your Space
    8 år sedan

Duck Egg all the way! Some bold geometric patterns in lamps or artwork will help to maintain your more contemporary feel. Enjoy the sofas!

pambar1036 thanked Revive Your Space
  • jan_ward30
    8 år sedan

I don't agree I have a large brown leather corner sofa my husband loves but I don't . We agreed to keep it whilst doing a complete refurb of the house so I have accessories in cream & burnt orange NOT at all tacky. Looks fresh & vibrant a bit 60's but cool. Have brown & cream table lamps love it.

pambar1036 thanked jan_ward30
  • sonas6
    8 år sedan

Hi I agree with previous comment from jan. I have a brown leather sofa and the colour on the walls is 'Perfect Toast' by Dulux. The colour is not too bright or too .chalky. Most pictures with gold frames look good. Don't forget mid green perhaps in rugs,all come together with cream/brown accessories.Try it. Elizabeth

pambar1036 thanked sonas6
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 år sedan

In the photo of the leather sofa, there is a yellow item to the front. They look great together. Add in some tangerine and cream and you'll have a bright and vibrant scheme.

pambar1036 thanked Pat Oliver Interior Design
  • sally123lilac
    8 år sedan

It has to be duck egg blue, otherwise it will look dated. Check out the Laura Ashley catalogue for wallpaper.

pambar1036 thanked sally123lilac
  • Allison Oz
    8 år sedan

I recently bought a dark tan leather sofa and have added duck egg blue and yellow geometric cushions, with a duck egg/teal coloured throw. They look great. Have always loved brown with teal/turquoise/duck egg blue. The tone you use and the patterns will determine if it looks classic or contemporary. My walls are soft cream. with a wall of a lovely swirly style wallpaper with gold tints. My look is not contemporary, but then not traditional either. Eclectic, I like to think.

pambar1036 thanked Allison Oz
  • jc3135rc
    8 år sedan

My tan sofa showing that I agree on the colours mentioned i.e. cream, teal/duck egg, oranges and yellows

pambar1036 thanked jc3135rc
  • shu_rosa
    8 år sedan
    I'm on the duck egg bandwagon too - I have two brown leather sofas and did quite a bit of research on how to ensure the room wasn't too dark. They best article I read reccomended light blues and greys. So that's the scheme I used for my cushions (walls are already grey).

Plus they suggested buying an armchair and footstool in a lighter colour to break up the mass of brown. I did just that and love the result!
    pambar1036 thanked shu_rosa
  • Shani Botteau
    8 år sedan
    Denim blue
  • Allison Oz
    8 år sedan

Looks great. Now buy more cushions! Funny that I have almost the same clock over my sofa, and the colours in your wall are the same as my wallpaper. You could really afford more of the zing colours.

• Becky Ford
    8 år sedan
    I am not a home design expert, but I feel that duck egg and cream would look nice as said before, or get a light tartan like a cream tartan, and the duck egg, so that there's pattern in the piece but it's not too flashy when people look at it
  • minnie101
    8 år sedan

Hi. What colour are your ŵalls re the curtains? I do agree with others that I find a shade of blue works best with brown although clearly many colours do. A dusky pink is also very nice (has to be the right shade though!) if you were to mix it with lighter Browns and soft whites. How contemporary is the rest of the house? Putting down a cowhide rug for example would immediately make it look contemporary. If you went with a rug in shades of browns with some white it would also create a slight contrast between floor and sofa. The sofa looks quite contemporary anyway so would think more about the accessories.

pambar1036 thanked minnie101
  • Monica
    8 år sedan

I am a lover of dark denim with brown leather <3

and if you want something more bolder then add grey and orange but not too much orange to keep it classy and interesting rather than overdone.

pambar1036 thanked Monica
  • Tani H-S
    8 år sedan
    Monica beat me to it! Was about to just say that actually a warm darker rich blue with black & a striking contrast colour would look very contemporary and not so traditional. Think rich petrol blues, industrial elements etc.
    pambar1036 thanked Tani H-S
  • pambar1036
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Getting lots of ideas. Can't wait to go shopping now. Minnie my walls are white at the moment. The rest of the house also has lots of white. White stair carpet, white porcelain tiles in hall, white kitchen - though I do have bright green stools in the kitchen. The house doesn't get a lot of natural light so it helps to brighten it up a little.

• qwerty556
    7 år sedan
    I'm currently looking to buy the exact sofa! ....could you tell me the name of the colour that your sofa is please ? ...the one I'm looking at is tumbleweed ,but there are lots of different shades of brown in the samples ...they look so different fully made up ...thank you
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.