emsbythesea

Adventurous small patio ideas.

Ems by the sea
8 år sedan

I have just bought a flat that has a small enclosed patio off the bedroom. Please see pics (not my decor!) I am looking for different ideas of how I could use/decorate this space. I could have a boho morroccan style table chairs, plants. Then I thought of an open air shower with lots of plants as i have a garden area plenty big enough to entertain. Any thoughts, ideas gratefully received :-)

Kommentarer (11)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 år sedan
    Looks like it will need a good cleaning and pressure washing first, I love the idea of the outdoor shower, I would paint the walls a dark grey and install that shower, maybe some smooth pebble stone layer over the wood boards for drainage and foot massage
    Ems by the sea thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Ems by the sea
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Thanks for the ideas..it definitely needs a good scrub down :-D I am hesitant to use dark colours though as it is a lower ground flat. I shall investigate different floorings though. Thanks.

• PRO
    Hutsly
    8 år sedan

Hi Emma,

We have just published an article on how to revamp any patio so have a read on our blog:

Patio Designs, 5 Ideas to outshine the neighbours.

Hope it can help!

Ems by the sea thanked Hutsly
  • minnie101
    8 år sedan

Hi. would you use a shower? It may be very expensive to run plumbing there and I'm guessing (!) you may also need council and leaseholder permission. I can't save pics as I have a poorly iPad but maybe google images of moroccan style courtyard for inspiration. I would have a self-contained water feature perhaps on the end wall if there isn't the floor space. Use mirrors on a ŵall to make it feel larger, I think you can get Moroccan outdoor ones. Moroccan encaustic tiles for the floor. If in budget a U shaped bench seat which you can add colourful cushions to when the weather permits, if not an all weather rattan sofa with a coffee table. If you want to use it all year round I would add a ŵall heater and a canopy of sorts with either fairy lights or moroccan lanterns. I'd also think about practicalities of gardening so I might be tempted to mix in a few faux plants..

Ems by the sea thanked minnie101
  • PRO
    Caroline Crawford Garden Design
    8 år sedan

No sure how tall those walls are, but a green (living) wall might work nicely. It works well in shady areas as you can plant evergreen ferns etc. Or go for some wall art - you can can get amazing outdoor canvas prints using your own images, which will make the space more personal to you.

Also you can treat the floor like a roof terrace and use 'pedestals' to fix paving or new decking to (smooth faced & hardwood is best )

- great for drainage and very easy to do. Also easy to run cables and irrigation under, and easy to change if you want.

Ems by the sea thanked Caroline Crawford Garden Design
  • Ems by the sea
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

A living wall with differnt ferns sounds beautiful and I haven't seen the pedestals before so thanks,great!

• PRO
    Christine Harrison Fine Art and Mosaics
    8 år sedan

How about one wall a living plant wall and one a dramatic mosaic?

Ems by the sea thanked Christine Harrison Fine Art and Mosaics
  • ingabrereton
    8 år sedan

Looking at the photo of the space and that it is off a bedroom I would create a space that is mainly to be viewed - so try opening the door and lying in bed and put the focal point of the garden where you will be able to see it. Next, consider the conditions in the space - looks like it is cool and damp, rather than trying to change that, choose a garden style that demands cool stillness. I would consider a moss garden with ferns - and I would paint the walls in a ochre yellow that would lift the gloom and get more interesting with age.

Le Petit Chalet · Mer info

You could encourage moss between the decking planks

Woodside Woodland Gardens · Mer info

Perhaps have a still pool that reflects the sky and some ferns around the edge.

Not too much maintenance and a pretty view whenever you look out.

Ems by the sea thanked ingabrereton
  • Ems by the sea
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I like this idea a lot and I think exactly the look I will go for. Thank you :-)

• Chris Embleton
    8 år sedan
    We had a similar area outside our old bedroom. We got a really big pot and sealed the hole in the bottom. Filled it with water and put in a water lily. Gave some colour and interest to an otherwise odd area. We also toyed with the idea of a Japanese style garden. Maybe worth a look?
    Ems by the sea thanked Chris Embleton
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.