babygirl7435

Can you put polyurethane on a oil finished floor?

Shelly C
8 år sedan

I have engineered hardwood installed in our home. It is wire brushed, hand scraped, hand distressed, carbonized, smoked floor with a UV Cured Oil finish. I want to know if I can apply a polyurethane on top to make it shiny / easier to clean? Although it is beautiful when its clean, this floor is way to hard to keep clean (we have 2 German Shepherds) and no product works on it. I attached a pic of what the floor looks like from their website.

Kommentarer (23)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 år sedan

Not sure you are thinking this through. Besides the fact that you cannot apply a poly over an oil finish (it will not adhere), a shiny finish is not something appropriate with two large dogs. You will create even more maintenance problems for yourself.

Check on the manufacturer's website to see if you are in fact maintaining this floor correctly. There is a warranty on the finish of your floor. I have attached the link to the manufacturer and they are very specific about how you are to maintain the floor to maintain your warranty.

http://www.provenzafloors.com/support/Oil-Maintenance.aspx

The manufacturer has specific products it wants you to use on the oil finish floor. First follow their instructions and use they products. I'm sure your situation will improve. That is an expensive floor in your home that should be properly taken care of.

http://www.provenzafloors.com/support/NaturalFloorCare.aspx

• Shelly C
    Författare
    8 år sedan

I used the products from them and it leaves a white residue on the wood. The best product I have found is WOCA natural soap for oil finish, but it is very pricey. I have about 3500 square foot of hardwood to maintain.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 år sedan

No you cannot apply polyurethane to an oil finish. You would need to sand down the entire thing (which you would loose the hand scraped and the colour) and then apply a full, traditional, polyurethane.

Considering that UV cured Oil finishes are some of the toughest finishes with excellent "ease of use" for homeowners, what is the problem that you are having? Perhaps if we start at the beginning (with photos of your own floor) we can figure something out for you.

As for the recommended cleaners, the over use of product will lead to filming. A cleaner should be used 1-2 per month. The rest of the time the floor will be "dry mopped"/swept or vacuumed. One of the biggest mistakes a homeowner can make is using "damp" cleaning products more than 1-2 per month.

Please send us photos of the issues you are having.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 år sedan

Ahhh. Ultimate's on it. The UV cured oil finishes are a little odd (compared to traditional urethane/polyurethanes). I wouldn't take the chance over 3500sf. That's a massive Oopsa if you get it wrong.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

Hey ProWoodGuys. Shelly has 3,500 sq ft of an expensive wood floor with a complicated finish that she is having a problem with, however, the floor has a warranty on the finish. Unless you have provided the install on this, it's best to direct her back to the manufacturer for her answers, and maybe a visit from the local company rep to help her. Telling her that she can put poly over a finish like this, or use a cleaning product not recommended by the floor manufacturer, is like telling her she should clean her Steinway piano with Pledge.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 år sedan
    @beverly I do penetrating finishes ALL the time so I'm well versed in this area. I have personally put poly over oil and the mfg told me it's ok. I'm not guessing I'm speaking from experience. Perhaps it's best to leave the 'wood floor' questions to those of us that actually know what we're doing.In any event umo is her answer. You keep 'designing' and I'll keep finishing wood floors! Cheers.
  • Shelly C
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Ok here are some pics:

This is when its clean.

This is the normal messiness I deal with on a daily basis from the dogs. (mud, dirt, paw prints...) I can't just vacuum/dry sweep this away if I want the house clean. (this pic was taken the same day as the pic above, maybe 8 hours later)

Pics of the "white residue"

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    8 år sedan
    @shellyc those floors look 'thirsty'. I would definately umo them and start using monocoat soap. You can email me directly and I can advise in detail woodwize@gmail.com
    Nice floors!
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 år sedan

by the sounds of it she has already tried some natural soap finish IMO she has used the wrong stuff

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    7 år sedan
    Again I reiterate you can do both omu and wb over an 'oiled' finish yes! Email me directly for specifics.
  • User
    7 år sedan

I know this sounds rather simplistic but I have the same problem of dog footprints everywhere. When I asked my friend who has the same floors as me why her floors don't show footprints from her also huge dog...she keeps a damp towel by each door and wipes the dogs' feet overtime they come in. When I do this (the first 2 days after I mop), it makes a huge difference.

• PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    7 år sedan
    What's the finish on your floors??
  • PRO
    ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    7 år sedan
    UV cured is not good finish. Do a water bead test and then you will know if the 'finish' is actually protecting or not.
  • Kay Nordby
    6 år sedan

Dirty or clean, those floors are BEAUTIFUL!

• Pat Reddrick
    6 år sedan
    The previous owner of my home had very shiny poly applied over the engineered dark floors. Now the floors are covered in scratches and areas where the poly has unbounded from the floor. Our 100 lb. Lab caused a lot of the damage but I have contributed by vacuuming and moving furniture. I cuss that woman every day! Don’t even think about shiny poly. You will regret it.
  • PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 år sedan

Contact the manufacturer and get whoever sold you the floor in for an opinion. It's free and you might get some valuable information from it.

• David Meyers
    6 år sedan
    She’ll, i have the exact problem. Have you resolved the issue?
  • David Meyers
    6 år sedan
    Sorry, autocorrect got me again. I was asking ShellyC if she resolve the issue.
  • jsinscottsdale
    5 år sedan
    I installed light colored oil finished floors in my home, approximately 3000 sq ft and hated them. I was so frustrated with them, one long weekend I moved most of my furniture to our covered patios and polyurethaned all of the floors. I didn’t care what the manufacturer said (because they’re just cover themselves and the “warranty” they provide). Once you buy your floors you’re really on your own and getting a manufacturer to cover a claim is impossible. BEST decision I ever made. The floors are easier to clean, I don’t get grey traffic patterns anymore and I love the floors again after hating them for a very long time.
  • Margueritte Puryear
    5 år sedan

Jsinscottsdale, did you use oil based poly or water based? We are thinking about getting Castle Combe floors but dont really want to deal with the whole two bucket cleaning method & re-oiling, etc. Satin poly would ne an ideal solution....if it works. How have they held up?

• jsinscottsdale
    5 år sedan
    Margueritte Puryear I used a water based satin polyurethane. It’s been 2 years and they’ve held up beautifully. I would suggest you try a small sample first. When I did my floors, I used an abrasive green scrub pad with bleach, water and soap, to clean the grey traffic patterns from the wood. It scuffed up the wood enough so the polyurethane would adhere to the wood. I don’t regret doing it. It was either using polyurethane or ripping the floors out (I hated the oil finish that much).
  • PRO
    Peggy Hart Home
    4 år sedan

I am having the same issue, although mine is on my white oak countertops I put in. I used rubio monocoat hard wax oil, I might as well have put nothing on them, they are horribly warped from water, with black watercolor like marks all over them. I am sanding the hell out of them and using regular old water based matte polyurethane, after reading all your experiences. Hope this helps someone to avoid all the work and worry that I have been through.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.