adrienne_overton

Bare walls needs help!!

Adrienne
8 år sedan
Just got house and I don't want the walls too clustered but they are too bare!! Please help!!i bought this picture (below) but I don't know where to hang it.

Kommentarer (30)

• acm
    8 år sedan

You need to finalize the placement of the furniture before you start putting in art, as you want to work with the scale of the open space, taking into account lamps, tables, and other things that fill vertical space. Give yourself a couple weeks to get your bits and pieces settled. Meantime, you can lean this against a wall and see how you like seeing it there.

• Susan Mooney
    8 år sedan

We have floating shelves on one side of our fire place.

• susanalanandwrigley
    8 år sedan
    Art over fireplace. TV on wall to left of fireplace, lower, with console under it. I'd start there, make sure furniture placement works, and then work to fill in the rest.
  • Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    That was the hubby's idea
  • susanalanandwrigley
    8 år sedan
    Sorry I'd veto that idea, it just doesn't work on so many levels, including a couple that might sell him, optimum viewing and possible heat damage from fireplace.
  • User
    8 år sedan

Here is my TV wall much like your open wall. I have a fireplace in the same position as yours too. You could either float a long cabinet (or in my case, I used milk crates, lol) or you could use a long TV console table. That would fill the wall. Then the art over the fireplace. I am not crazy about the elephant but art is personal;)

• Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Picture up here is better? And tv on the wall? Ok, hubby won't be happy but I'll do it!! Lol!! Thanks
  • Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Floating shelves on both sides of FP with picture on top of FP? Too much?
  • Susan Mooney
    8 år sedan

I don't think so. Just don't put too much stuff one the shelves. I actually took what I had on the top shelf off after I read my designer's blog saying you don't have to use every shelf. I like the picture above the fire place better than than the tv. Hubs will live LOL!

• Susan Mooney
    8 år sedan

That should have read don't put too much stuff on the shelves :)

• PRO
    harvey & Dot
    8 år sedan

Hi Adrienne: Check out this elephant printed on galvanized steel.

• Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    That is AWESOME!!!!!
  • PRO
    harvey & Dot
    8 år sedan

We can help you select the right art. We developed The DeGrezzo™ Print. Art & Photography printed on Copper, Galvanized Steel, Brass, Bronze, Mirror.

• PRO
    harvey & Dot
    8 år sedan

We have a huge library. Let me know what you think about this elephant. It is also printed on steel.

• PRO
    Lenore Frances Home Interiors
    8 år sedan

These image are from our design library, and might help you make a decision.

Lakeshore Dr. Residence, Hammonton, NJ 08037 · Mer info

Lakeshore Dr. Residence, Hammonton, NJ 08037 · Mer info

• Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Like these floating shelves by the fireplace?
  • Carol Singletary
    8 år sedan
    I love those shelves, and would use them in a heartbeat, but they seem pretty rustic compared to your more formal fireplace. Do you like combining styles that way? Can you pull off the mix? (Not doubting,just asking)
  • leelee
    8 år sedan

Sofa is brown, walls are beige, don't add brown art. Get some color in your room.

• Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Leelee are you talking about the shelves? What color would you do!?! Carol I like more rustic.... Just so happens we bought a house with a formal fireplace
  • Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Another question is... Whichever ones, do I use them on both sides of the fireplace or one? What goes on the other side?
  • leelee
    8 år sedan

Sometimes shelves can be helpful but often they just create more Design Dilemmas...Help, what to put on these shelves....

You'd be better off to invest in some art or framed prints that could add interest and color.

• leelee
    8 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 8 år sedan

No, I was talking about the elephant print being brown. But I also commented about shelves. I would try other ideas before putting up shelves. Look how these chairs flank the fireplace to make the room look cozy. Plus, chairs are useful for additional seating.

So often people on Houzz dilemmas try to use shelves as space fillers and they end up looking busy and not all that useful.

• leelee
    8 år sedan

I love Margo's idea to move the TV and add a console below. You have a huge wall that needs something big and the TV is the largest item besides the sofa. All the wiring for the cable is on that wall.

• housegal200
    8 år sedan

I'm with leelee. You have a sea of brown and tan--walls, floor, furniture, ceiling. There's no visual relief.

--First off, do exactly what was recommended upthread. Move the TV to the wall left of the fireplace.

--Get a long, low, shallow piece in white to run the length of that left wall for the TV.

Eclectic Living Room · Mer info

Industrial Chic Basement · Mer info

--Yes, get some nice floating shelves for the sides of your shallow fireplace.

Model Home · Mer info

--Get a different piece of art over the fireplace that has an accent color in it. Then repeat that accent color in sofa pillows, objects on the shelves, ceiling to floor curtains.

--If you're stuck with wall-to-wall tan carpeting, thing about layering a patterned rug over it--cream with brown-pattern Moroccan rug could work.

--Don't buy a single other thing in brown or tan.

--Accent colors that work with tan/brown: teal, turquoise, yellow, blues, lime green, orange

• leelee
    8 år sedan

Hubby will thank you when his neck ache goes away and he doesn't have to re-wire the TV over FP. Remember the TV needs to be at eye level when you're sitting on the sofa. Consoles are usually about 30 inches tall so position TV 8 inches above the unit. Also, it should be long enough--about 1/3 longer than the TV.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 år sedan

You could add some type of chests to either side of the fireplace with a series of prints above. They don't have to be botanicals, but something that adds interest to the wall.

• Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    Leelee I love the brown and white artwork in that room!!! It is a lot of brown but I like what they did
  • Adrienne
    Författare
    8 år sedan
    So I'm going to take the tv down and put it over this table....... ((Fingers crossed while I wait for the verdict)). Is the table to big for the room?
  • User
    8 år sedan

Adrienne- that table is not big enough. I would not use a console table for the TV. You need something like leelee showed up above to house TV stuff and hide the wires.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.