jaz3

Help with window treatments, Please!

Laura Lindquist
8 år sedan

Hi, we recently remodeled part of our home, taking down a wall and expanding the kitchen. We also want to get new window treatments are like simple UV roller shades.

I did purchase these types of shades for my family room a few years ago (while there were still old bamboo blinds in the kitchen). We really like them. My question, do I have to match the same color and texture if the blinds are visible while standing in each room, or could we do the same type of roller shades but in a darker color?

There is a photo of my family room and kitchen.

The family room shades are a color metallic beige (but really read warm gray) and I am considering a slate color though out the kitchen to contrast with the light walls.

I am worried this will look strange. THoughts, please!!!

Kommentarer (10)

• libradesigneye
    8 år sedan

I do think you will be sorry if you don't match them .. and I don't think the other space will benefit from the higher contrast. Warm gray will work well as a neutral there.

Laura Lindquist thanked libradesigneye
  • Laura Lindquist
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Wow! Two completely different points of view. I agreed with both as I was reading them, and I see both points. Thanks for taking the time to weigh in.

• Dirt Digger
    8 år sedan

I think in this scenario, I would use the same color....the color in the family room will still be a nice contrast in your kitchen!

Laura Lindquist thanked Dirt Digger
  • Laura Lindquist
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Thanks! Still split opinions. Keep them coming.

• calidesign
    8 år sedan

The shades don't need to be the same, even if you see them at the same time, as long as the styles are similar. I would match the color to the paint color, or trim color, in each room. I don't think a contrast will look nice in the kitchen. The point of roller shades, and solar shades, is to have them disappear.

Laura Lindquist thanked calidesign
  • jck910
    8 år sedan

I think (and it is probably old fashioned) that what is seen from the outside should match. I did Hunter Douglas Vignettes in white on white in my DR and a cream color in LR but the back sides are both white. That said with roller shades both sides are the same so I wouldn't do a light color in one room and a dark color in another when the windows are on same side of house.

Laura Lindquist thanked jck910
  • grapefruit1_ar
    8 år sedan

I often notice the windows in a home, and I think that the window treatments can make or break the home's appeal. So, IMO, it does not matter so much if they all match, but it does matter if they make the windows attractive. Pretty curtains or cafe shutters are my favorite.

The current trends often do not look good from outside. Far too often the window treatments look like there are sheets at the window or that they are covered with paper. Shades in a variety of colors is my least favorite.

Laura Lindquist thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • PRO
    Prairie Shades & Shutters
    8 år sedan
    Your room should 'speak' to each other when visible. You have a unique situation with the dividing wall. You also have an outdoor seating area to consider.

I would do the same window treatment style. The color should be light but don't feel they need to be the same color just as the wall color does not need to be the same.
    Laura Lindquist thanked Prairie Shades & Shutters
  • Laura Lindquist
    Författare
    8 år sedan

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions. Calidesign, what you said really spoke to me. Prairie Shades, glad to hear your point on keeping the same treatment style. Others have suggested this too. Since I am not getting new window treatments in the family room, I will keep the same treatment style with the kitchen nook. When we moved in to this house, every room had a different window treatment (most often about three treatments per window!). It felt cluttered. I like minimal design. Therefore, I think I will keep the color visually minimal as well. Thank you all so much for your help tonight!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.