clubnev

Which granite/counter top should I pick?

clubnev
7 år sedan

Also listed as a poll question. Everything in this kitchen goes except the floor. We will have white cabinets as shown below.

Granite choices:

We are leaning towards Thunder White. But it hardly has any warm colors in it. Will it look funny with this floor or does that not matter since it is a neutral floor?

Thunder White Granite:

River White. Like this the best except for the diagonal pattern - don't think it would look good in a galley kitchen, especially on the left hand side. But this has a lot of cool grey and cream with touches of other colors.

Caesarstone Quartz - I'd get a little fancier of a backsplash if we get this. It is a little warmer in person than it is showing in the pic.

Thanks for your help!

Kommentarer (22)

• Anne Thomas
    7 år sedan

Would you say the floor is beige? If the floor is beige, I think you need a countertop with some beige or flecks of beige in it. If you'll be able to update the floor later, then go with whatever you like like Thunder White and change the tiles in phase 2. :)

clubnev thanked Anne Thomas
  • clubnev
    Författare
    7 år sedan

The River White has a lot of beige in it, although it's hard to tell from the pic. But that diagonal pattern - not so sure about it. I agree, that Thunderwhite does not have enough warm colors in it

• PRO
    Minted Spaces
    7 år sedan

I actually really like the Ceasarstone Quartz. I think it'd make a galley kitchen look bright. But like Anne said, if you can eventually replace the floors then I'd get whatever countertop you like best.

• jck910
    7 år sedan

I think all your choices are too gray for the floor but colors look different in different light. Take home the samples and look at them with the floor.

clubnev thanked jck910
  • leelee
    7 år sedan

What are your floors like in the adjoining rooms?

• leelee
    7 år sedan

The tile might need to go.

clubnev thanked leelee
  • clubnev
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Yea that is our hesitation, too. I think maybe we are better off either finding a similar River White that isn't diagonal or going with a warmer color for the countertops. The River White has a some browns running through the darker part of it and the cream color is on the warm side. Hard to tell from the pic; the pic makes it look cooler than it really is, I think because of the florescent lighting in the warehouse.

As for the rest of the condo - this is the laminate. It matches pretty good with the floor. And gray enough to bring in some grays. I wanted something that could go with either a warm tone or a cooler one.

We did consider this granite but it is more expensive and I'm not sure I like it enough to pay the extra $. It is much more brown than the picture shows. But probably a better match.

• PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    7 år sedan

The images below are from some of our various designs for our clients kitchens. Pay attention to the counter tops.

Kitchen Remodel · Mer info

Morton Grove Kitchen · Mer info

Stunning Contemporary Kitchen - Closeups · Mer info

• PRO
    Fabricators Unlimited
    7 år sedan

You could also go with a warmer Caesarstone color.

Shitake

Ginger

Symphony Grey

These all lean warm.

clubnev thanked Fabricators Unlimited
  • clubnev
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Chi Reno.... yes I see how the countertops do not match the floors at least in the first pic. And.. Fabricators Unlimited - thanks for those suggestions. I'll check them out.

• ginanavarro
    7 år sedan

I like the Caesarstone Quartz the best. Very clean and looks great

• suzyq53
    7 år sedan

Can you get more of the laminate for the kitchen? Its not a good idea to redo your whole kitchen and keep that troublesome tile. Its gonna ruin the look and its affecting more important and expensive aspects.

• lhutch13
    7 år sedan
    All of those countertop choices are too grey. You need to go with something more beige, or depart completely and go black, which matches everything. If you change the floor, it's a whole different ball game.
  • lulu
    7 år sedan
    I'm in love with that granite you posted with the grey and brown. Do you know the name?

Unfortunately, I agree with suzyq about changing the floor I would bite the bullet and do it now.
  • clubnev
    Författare
    7 år sedan

We thought about that but after living with laminate for more years than I care to mention, I'd rather live with the tile than live with laminate. The rest of the condo is in warmer colors even though I have brought in some gray here and there and there's touches of gray in the flooring. The tile matches well with the flooring above and with the wall paint color in the rest of the condo. I think I need to re-think having so much gray in the granite and go with a more neutral option, perhaps the caesarstone mentioned above or a warmer granite. Or that River White in a pattern I like better.

• acm
    7 år sedan

I like the last granite you posted -- sharp and might have the tones you need.

However, for what it's worth, I like a tan and gray combination in a kitchen, as long as you have the white as a bridge. You could tie things together a bit with a backsplash that might reflect the floor tones a bit...

Contemporary Shaker Kitchen · Mer info

clubnev thanked acm
  • clubnev
    Författare
    7 år sedan

You are on the same track as me - that is what I was hoping to do... tie together the two with a backsplash - perhaps a soft color in glass tile. The last one I posted is Scottish Meadow. My worry is it might be too "busy" in a small kitchen. I like tan and grey too and when grey goes "out" and at some point it will, if I have a countertop that can handle warm colors, I can change the paint and not have a 2010 and up dated place. I love a carrera or calcutta marble and white kitchen - even the ones from the 80's I love - still looks classic to me. That is the look I was going for but now I don't think it's practical, especially when the rest of the place is warmer colors.

• Kathy
    7 år sedan
    Have you seen any Kashmir white granite?
    Alexandria Timeless Kitchen Addition · Mer info
    clubnev thanked Kathy
  • clubnev
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I appreciate everyone's comments about removing the floor. It's too late to do that, unfortunately. In a perfect situation, I would have removed it. Scottish Meadow is the granite people have been asking about. It's very brown compared to the picture. Also hands down the most expensive option.

• clubnev
    Författare
    7 år sedan

The granite yards I've looked at did not have Kashmir White but I agree, it is an option if I can find it. It would go nice I think. It's common so I may call around and see who has it.

• pandang81
    6 år sedan

Clubnev,

what did you end up going with? I am also looking at thunder white and river white granite and thinking the river white has some warm colors in it so leaning towards that one. I love the pattern in the thunder white but it is very cool gray and I agree that having a granite that goes with both warm and cool tones would be great! If you have pics of what you chose, I'd love to see.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.