amnak768

Small family room, new couches too big?

amnak768
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:7 år sedan

Small living room, are these couches too big? Dark brown couches. Was thinking of returning the chair and getting a smaller club chair and keeping the sofa? Or better to return both and get a smaller set?

Kommentarer (36)

• Erica M.
    7 år sedan

They would look smaller if there were higher legs so you can see floor and possibly a lighter shade, but I think it fits okay. If you do a coffee table try to stick with glass. Good luck!

amnak768 thanked Erica M.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år sedan

The scale is a bit big, and they are swallowing up all the light in the room since they are BLACK. How about classic amber leather sofa and arm chair?

amnak768 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • amnak768
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you, they are dark brown and yes there is too much dark brown! Was thinking of returning the chair and getting a lighter armchair, and keeping the brown sofa. Dunno if it's wierd to have two colors of leather?or to have a larger sofa and smaller chair?

• shari13
    7 år sedan

I'm no expert but to me they are just too dark. I would start over.

amnak768 thanked shari13
  • everdebz
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

In case this is of any use, I like the silhouette [?] of the squared edges. This rust color seems to go with dark brown, with a throw of some kind to soften [though the pattern might seem delicate so...] -- to me it does matter what you put with it.

Inas Embroidered Curtain Panel, Rust, 108" · Mer info

amnak768 thanked everdebz
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    7 år sedan
    Too dark and too big, return them now why you still can and keep looking, when you decide on the next set get measurements and then come home and use painters tape on the floor to see the potential scale in the room, also place a large box the size of new future furniture to see scale...furniture looks smaller in the store due to the size of most furniture stores...this big brown couch dilemma is one of the most posted
    amnak768 thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Jan
    7 år sedan
    I think that the size is ok for your room, if you can get the sofa in a lighter color might work better. Mixing fabrics is much more interesting. While glass looks good it's not practical for a coffee table. You probably have children too.
    amnak768 thanked Jan
  • mandy_moo_pants
    7 år sedan
    I think they could work if you added some color other places in your room. Right now, the couches look very dark bc they're so high contrast against the walls, rug and floor which are almost all the same color. You could try adding a much larger more colorful area rug and some window treatments if that would be easier than returning the furniture. I always like big comfy chairs and couches. The smaller and less stuffed ones that are popular now (and do look fantastic) sometimes arent all that comfortable
    amnak768 thanked mandy_moo_pants
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år sedan

Not sure where you live, but these items are from American Signature

amnak768 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

I think the size can work. It doesn't stand out to me as "too big" but a more low-profile couch with cleaner lines would look more at ease in this space. If you don't absolutely love them now, then I suggest returning --You should be thrilled with your new purchase. Also, I don't suggest getting two different leathers (leather couch, different leather chair). In fact, I always prefer an accent chair in a different material and/or pattern to break up the monotony of the room. Bryght.com has some really great options for couches and chairs.

One last thing (that you didn't inquire about), I would get a larger rug. Your rug should hang over the width of your couch and be positioned *at least* behind the front legs of your couch and accent chair.

Hope this helps!

amnak768 thanked User
  • everdebz
    7 år sedan

Can't help myself:

Thumbprintz Splatter No I Red Coral Fleece Throw · Mer info

• Rina
    7 år sedan

If you really like the sofa, keep it. I think its proportions are fine, and like-black not like-black is really a matter of taste. But I also think your instinct is right -- the chair is too big. I'd go with a proper armchair (not a club chair) in a light, possibly patterned, fabric. Something like this might work -- I'm not sure of your wall colour. If it did, I'd put a couple of blue cushions on the sofa.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Portfolio-Dana-Blue-Modern-Floral-Arm-Chair/11404877/product.html?refccid=J4NBMOC4RE5JHLSH6EH6GKLDDI&searchidx=33

amnak768 thanked Rina
  • Rina
    7 år sedan

Looking again, probably not "it" as your walls look cream or beige -- so the chair's too white. But that sort of thing would work if it toned in.

amnak768 thanked Rina
  • amnak768
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you all so much for responding. Here is a daytime pic.

• Rina
    7 år sedan

I like Everdebz's implication that drapes would be good in the room. The windows look rather cold and strictly functional at the moment.

amnak768 thanked Rina
  • Rina
    7 år sedan

Yup, I've just seen your new pics. The chair is the problem.

amnak768 thanked Rina
  • Rina
    7 år sedan

I'm sorry to ask as it's probably been mentioned -- I'm just grabbing a moment's grace from a work deadline -- but can you get a bigger size of that lovely, cosy rug? Just so that it fits comfortably a few inches under the couch and chair.

amnak768 thanked Rina
  • everdebz
    7 år sedan

It's faux and it swivels - lighter and like your wood floors in feeling?

GDF Studio Bernhoft Swivel Fabric Armchair, Brown · Mer info

• everdebz
    7 år sedan

$135:

Damascus Claire Bench, 40"x20"x17" · Mer info

• everdebz
    7 år sedan

Now I really can't help it - for the price, for children? 2 of idk:

Milano Lounger Chair, Black · Mer info

• mydogmiddy
    7 år sedan
    I disagree with the comments that black leather isn't a good pick. There is a lot you can add to your room in terms of texture, a rug, lightening and accessories. I don't think you necessarily have to "start over". Just make good choices going forward. I am NOT a decorator but I am on my second black leather sofa and I don't regret it one bit. If you do buy a fabric sofa, my suggestion is to purchase a sunbrella fabric. It is very
    serviceable like leather.
  • everdebz
    7 år sedan

I jump on to offer ideas - I also think if the look pleases you, and the price is right - good!!

• erinsean
    7 år sedan

I like your furniture....I have navy leather and it is so easy to keep. That said, when I look at your room, I see your couch in front of the window wall....it just doesn't look centered with three windows and you are using only two.....Is there any way you can face the fireplace with your couch and put your chair in front of the window? Maybe that is not possible and maybe after you have curtains up, it will be less noticable.

amnak768 thanked erinsean
  • everdebz
    7 år sedan

If with wood flooring, you wanted another warm, what about a youthful color?

Fallon Area Rug, Rectangle, Yellow, Gray, 5'x8' · Mer info

Fallon Area Rug, Rectangle, Burnt Orange, Pewter, 5'x8' · Mer info

• lisa0527
    7 år sedan
    Just saw this on Houzz in today's "Transitional Living Room" article. A great way to lighten a room with a brown leather couch. Revere Pewter walls.
    amnak768 thanked lisa0527
  • Lisa G
    7 år sedan

I think the sofa is fine but I'd replace the chair with something smaller and lighter in color, either leather or fabric.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it, but your room will probably look larger if you buy a larger rug that goes under the front legs of the furniture. Visually all you see right now is a small area in front of your furniture, rather than allowing your eyes to see the entire room.

amnak768 thanked Lisa G
  • leelee
    7 år sedan

Never buy a whole room full of exactly the same furniture.

amnak768 thanked leelee
  • User
    7 år sedan
    One large piece of leather is enough. I would get a smaller upholstered arm chair with color and texture.
    amnak768 thanked User
  • PRO
    Bev Moriarty Interiors, LLC
    7 år sedan
    I think you can work with what you have. The rug is too small. It needs to connect your furniture and a pattern, even subtle, would help ground the room. You also need drapery panels to soften the dark brown. Right now everything is brown, so break it up with pattern on the rug and soften with draperies.
    amnak768 thanked Bev Moriarty Interiors, LLC
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 år sedan
    I agree w/ many others. First, I don't think 2 different leather colors work. I have that b/c I scored heckuva deal on a chair I loved. It & leather sofa have never been at peace w/ the other even though both look great on their own. I believe the chair is too big for where it is. Visually it looks like a pony wall separating LR from entry. I'd go w/ something less massive in fabric.
    amnak768 thanked Bruce Crawford
  • amnak768
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to think about it for a little longer but I am leaning toward returning them and getting a much smaller set. I'm going to stick with leather so the couches can survive kids, but most likely going with the Emilia couch and chair at Macy's. My old couch and chair were so small, like 80 inch wide on the couch and chair less that 30 inch wide, and they worked well. So I'm just going to focus on the measurements and wait to get couches like these when I have a bigger space. I think what is tough is finding small couches that are transitional or traditional, most that I see skew towards modern. If anyone know where I can find something classic simple with a roll arm etc in a very small size, please let me know. I so far have only found custom places that can do it but are out of my price range. ( Los Angeles area)Otherwise, thank you all so much for your input.

• leelee
    7 år sedan

Stay away from furniture with the big rolled arms. They take up too much space in a small room.

Here's a 9 x 12 rug from Target for $320 on sale. Not bad and it would add a little color, traditional/transitional. Check out Target rugs on line. I know you don't want to spend major $$$$ with small kids around.

• Seajay Sparkles
    7 år sedan
    Love everdebz suggestion of bench with fabulous fabric. Using a fabric like that as inspiration with all those wonderful colors to choose from for rug, lamps, pillows, curtains/drapes would be fabulous and give you a focus. If this room is your main room for watching TV etc then you will want comfortable furniture not furniture that simply looks good. Your furniture looks to be comfortable and will serve you well for years to come allowing you to change accessories w/o having to make a large expenditure for couch and chair. Adding new or additional chairs in the future will be a breeze. Buy some great pillows and go from there. Good luck!
  • everdebz
    7 år sedan

If you had a good experience with buying them, keep. It's a small room with several windows - I'd go for a very simple den-like room with youthful colors here and there. Most of us aren't "living in a magazine" [designed by them].

• Bruce Crawford
    7 år sedan

It appears this is your main TV viewing room. If so your arrangement options are limited unless TV mounted over fireplace. I'm not big fan of that, not just for aesthetics, but also ergonomics, as I believe center of screen should be at eye level. So that leaves TV where it is, IMHO. Have you looked at sectionals? They could give you same seating space, but short side of L wouldn't extend into middle of floor as much as free-standing chair. Since it's TV room, you want that seating to be comfortable & some of above suggestions would be no fun for sitting in during 2-hr. movie. Sectional would both open up ingress/egress from LR and open sight lines for your attractive fireplace.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.