lexi_parkin

Large garden, small house or small garden, big house?

Lexi Parkin
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:6 år sedan

If you had to pick one option, would you prefer a small house that had a large garden, or a large house that had a small garden?

Get opinionated in the comments section!

Kommentarer (74)

• PRO
    Damson Consultancy Ltd
    7 år sedan

lots of family space

• PRO
    NV Interiors
    7 år sedan

In London, large house and small garden every time, in my native Australia the opposite. Totally associated to climate.

• PRO
    Willow Garden Estates
    7 år sedan

As a gardener I would prefer a large garden for different planting spaces.

• PRO
    Christopher Brummitt Architect
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

It boils down to what you can afford- so my advice is buy the space you need now and adapt it as your family grows, so look carefully at the plot when you're buying and imagine how you could live there and how you'd want to adapt it in future when you're circumstances allow you to change it to suit.

So, get the position, the orientation for sunlight, and the garden space you want and allow the house to adapt when you can afford it.

Times, needs and fashions change but space is the key!

• PRO
    GARDEN
    7 år sedan

Small gardens can have just as much impact as a big garden

• PRO
    Andrea Newill Garden Design
    7 år sedan

The garden takes priority!

• PRO
    Branwhite Properties Ltd
    7 år sedan

No brainer. Small house with large garden and then build out. You'll end up with a large and average/large garden. It's a win win!

• PRO
    Landscaping Solutions
    7 år sedan

Prefer gardening to house cleaning. Love my garden

• PRO
    Fiore landscaping and gardening
    7 år sedan

Prefer big garden as it is live around.

• PRO
    All Garden Designs
    7 år sedan

Garden always wins for me.

• PRO
    Interiors By Laura D
    7 år sedan

As long as the house size is appropriate for the persons living in it, the garden can follow. The priority is the living area and garden is secondary. In any case, there should balance between both making sure the house meets the family needs.

• PRO
    Aura Landscapes Ltd
    7 år sedan

As a landscaper, this is an easy question for us! Gardens to relax in all the way!

• PRO
    JPM Planning & Drawing
    7 år sedan

Gardens are a real escape from the home and can be an extension of the home of any size.

• PRO
    Botanica Garden Design
    7 år sedan

We voted for the large garden option

• PRO
    Parker Building Supplies
    7 år sedan

A garden that has been landscaped can add value and a wow factor to a house

• PRO
    Legendary Landscapes Ltd
    7 år sedan

Although we love working in large gardens, one of our favourite things to do is to turn small, compact gardens into really smart useable spaces that our clients can get the most out of...

• PRO
    Honor Bates Landscape Design
    7 år sedan

Large garden always wins.

• PRO
    John Stark and Crickmay Partnership Ltd
    7 år sedan

Small house less wasteful...but not too small!

• PRO
    Mark Mckie
    7 år sedan

Less restrictions in a garden.

• PRO
    Edit Landscape Design Studio
    7 år sedan

Outdoor living for increased well-being

• PRO
    W Coombes & Sons (Contractors) Ltd
    7 år sedan

Less Restrictions in a larger garden

• PRO
    Terra Firma Gardens
    7 år sedan

We voted for a small garden and big house

• PRO
    Plan Eden Garden Design & Forest Wild Treehouses
    7 år sedan

large garden, small house

• PRO
    Jo Delo Garden Design
    7 år sedan

You can make any garden big or small look good, with strong design elements and planting.

• PRO
    Ron Leemans Architect
    7 år sedan

Large garden no problems with neighbours

• PRO
    Louise Hooper Landscape Architect
    7 år sedan

A large garden is more fun!!

• Wendy White
    7 år sedan
    I'd rather have a small private garden than a large one that's overlooked by neighbours so it depends on the setting.
  • PRO
    Isidora Markovic
    7 år sedan

As you tend to spend more time inside, it's bigger house/smaller garden for me hands down! You also have to get really creative with smaller spaces.

• PRO
    Urban Creations Gardens LTD
    7 år sedan

As a garden designer and lover of plants, a garden is always filled and can never be too big,

• PRO
    Ron Leemans Architect
    7 år sedan

It has to be fairly big not too big, and have a small stream at the end or to the side of the garden.

• PRO
    Butler Landscapes Ltd
    7 år sedan

As a landscaper I would much prefer a large garden so I can fit in all the ideas I love.

• PRO
    Tony Benger Landscaping Ltd
    7 år sedan

After a hard day in the office what better way to unwind than in a beautifully designed and planted garden

• PRO
    BLYTHE BROOK GARDEN DESIGN LTD
    7 år sedan

A large garden gives the opportunity for more planting

• PRO
    Catia Interiors
    7 år sedan

To decide on this, I would have in consideration: amount of people on the house hold, if there are children and/ or pets. Green space is a great add on if there are children and pets in the house and also fantastic if you are an entertainer and often receive friends and family around. In another hand if you have a lot of members in the family, space indoors are always a plus and considering we are in Uk and we spend more hours inside due to the long winter period.

It is a matter of practicality and what works for everyone using the space .If you had to go for a smaller garden, there are many ways to make a tiny garden very charming and cosy. Hope this helped :)

• PRO
    C J Gardens Ltd
    7 år sedan

I love a court yard garden so for me it would be a large house small garden. i love how creative you can be creating a functional private space.

• User
    7 år sedan

We have lots of lovely parks in our local area, so I would prefer a larger house with a smaller garden.

• PRO
    Frederic Whyte
    7 år sedan

Gardens essential to wellbeing

• User
    7 år sedan

Love a big outside space

• PRO
    Alice Meacham Gardens
    7 år sedan

Large garden or small garden - all lovely in their own way1

• PRO
    Floyd landscapes
    7 år sedan

Love a big outdoor space

• PRO
    greenleaf garden services
    7 år sedan

either - imaginative design and creativity can result in a beautiful looking and functional garden regardless of size

• PRO
    Jonathon Charles Garden Design
    7 år sedan
    A small but perfectly formed courtyard garden, all day long! Larger gardens have their charm but the cost, both financial and in terms of time, are often quite significant.
  • PRO
    The Garden Goddess Ltd
    7 år sedan

Large garden gives you the opportunity to create different rooms within the space and if you wanted to you could extend the house....

• PRO
    Onik Build Ltd
    7 år sedan
    Definitely large house and small garden :)
  • PRO
    Eazy Garden Limited
    7 år sedan

Large garden gives more opportunities to have different rooms within the garden

• PRO
    Alan Browne Landscaping since 1978
    7 år sedan

We agree ! Large gardens! Great for pets, children and further outdoor rooms such as man caves! Appreciate that they are not for the feint hearted but a large garden is for life and not just for Christmas and return such a lot of pleasure :)

• Olga Mackness
    7 år sedan

in our view large garden gives you greater privacy which is very important

• Jess
    5 år sedan
    I am really surprised by the votes. Having a large garden leads to endless possibilities. I would think having a large house would be hard to keep clean, maintain and heat. Whereas the garden, you could really make it as high or low maintenance as you like
  • PRO
    The Garden Goddess Ltd
    5 år sedan

Oh it has to be a large garden and small house - endless possibilities and remember the garden is an extention of your house so view them together!

• Ribena Drinker
    5 år sedan

Large gardens are all well and good if have the energy & ability and you can afford the time (or money) for maintenance, but it's not always ideal. The size of garden should be appropriate to the size of house and appropriate for the lifestyle of the owners.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.