sarneg

How to jazz up my office?

sarneg
7 år sedan

My office at work is full of standard-issue metal furniture. I would love to make the space less utilitarian and more enjoyable. Should I add a rug? What might I add to the walls? Is there a better arrangement? Any suggestions are welcome! The space is about 15 feet log from door to window and nine feet wide. Thank you!

Kommentarer (36)

• decoenthusiaste
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

The first thing I advise for offices, and it makes a huge difference, is to bring in a floor and table lamp and turn off the florescent ceiling light. Is there a view out the window that you might enjoy? What business do you conduct here and with what kind of clients? That would help determine what might be appropriate on the walls.

sarneg thanked decoenthusiaste
  • sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Great ideas! I hadn't thought of the floor lamp for sure! I don't have clients so much as a few colleagues who come in to discuss certain projects.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 år sedan

i have a putty metal 2 drawer lateral file credenza in my office... (not sure why its not in my husbands.... ) and i've been eyeing it as well. i'm thinking of wallpapering it.

i have a plain white waterfall desk that i covered with a length of gorgeously woven fabric my sister gave me from singapore. floor to ceiling art on all walls. and i'm getting ready to paint the walls glossy green.

this is my inspiration photo.

but i want the walls to be a slightly different green, more like

or else

which best goes with all my art, the drapes and the rug.

so, long story short, think big. google home office or library and find a look that will make your furniture disappear.

sarneg thanked Judy Mishkin
  • sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks for the ideas. I've Googled myself to death :) but I can never seem to find anything with the metal furniture! And, given I'm not very good at this kind of thing, I hadn't considered finding something that makes it disappear. :)

• Judy Mishkin
    7 år sedan

lol yeah.... no metal furniture from a used office furniture store in houzz photospreads. so make it a room you love that just happens to have some metal office furniture in it.

sarneg thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Jennifer Dube
    7 år sedan

Do you even need the metal file cabinet? Can you scan in all the contents and then discard the paper filing system? Same for the bookshelves: could you cull those way way down.. enough to get rid of them?

Just thinking if you could get rid of the file cabinet and tall bookshelf you might have room in there for a small round table for meetings, or a comfy chair.

Plants would be nice.

sarneg thanked Jennifer Dube
  • Angel 18432
    7 år sedan

Just saw something online where they used "patterned" duct tape to dress up items. I'll see if I can find again.

sarneg thanked Angel 18432
  • sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Jennifer M -- thank you! I reduced from two filing cabinets to one. I hadn't thought of going completely without :) Good to consider! I like the thought of at least reducing some of the book space for greenery. Thanks!

• sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Angel -- Yes, if you find that, I'd love to see it! Thank you.

• sarneg thanked Angel 18432
  • Chikka BangBang
    7 år sedan

Maybe lumber pillow in the visiting chair? You could also use shelving paper. To cover the shelves or cover the metal cabinet. You could also use removable wall paper on one side of the room.

Spring Rain Shelf Paper Drawer Liner, 120x12, Fine Weave Fabric · Mer info

Modern Ikat Ultramarine Lumbar Pillow Set · Mer info

sarneg thanked Chikka BangBang
  • sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Awesome ideas! Love the examples you sent, too. Thanks -

• Beth
    7 år sedan
    ((Argh! Just got ready to post and my comment disappeared. Please forgive me if this repeats because it showed up after all. ))

I totally agree with adding the lamps! They make a *huge* difference. Back when I worked in a cubicle office, I also added some decorative shelf paper (you can also use wallpaper) to my desk drawers and my shelves. Along those same line, you can stick decorative Washi tape on the edges of filing cabinets, etc. for an easy decorative trim.

A small area rug can make a big difference, too, as long as it doesn't create a problem for rolling chairs, etc.

And I am a big fan of aromatherapy, so using a subtle, natural essential oil for those scent sticks you can buy might be nice. I'd recommend you avoid heavily perfumed chemical products, since many people can be sensitive to them.

Good luck! I hope you'll post your "after" photos for us.
  • Terry Fuller
    7 år sedan
    When I want to spruce up open shelves I buy small tension rods, stick them inside the shelving and hang a curtain over it.
    sarneg thanked Terry Fuller
  • shirlpp
    7 år sedan

I'd try to move the desk. I like the sunlight to come in and the computer screen would have too much glare from the sunlight. You will find quite a few nice pieces at Home Goods for your walls.

sarneg thanked shirlpp
  • sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Owlsdaughter -- thanks for resending...I did not get the original :) I appreciate your ideas! I'm excited to put some things into place!

• sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Terry -- great idea! Thanks!

• sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

shirrip -- Thank you! I do want to try moving the desk a bit.

• shirlpp
    7 år sedan

For the desk top you can purchase a laminate sheet from HD. I think you should be able to put it on top of what you have, by using the right product to attach it.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/laminate+sheets?NCNI-5

sarneg thanked shirlpp
  • sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

decoenthusiast -- a million thanks! That is just what I needed -- to see the space differently that what is here! Thank you! I am going to try the re-arrange. I will have to think about how to best hide the computer cords :/ on the back side. I love change, so this is a great idea.

• sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

shirlpp--I hadn't thought of the laminate. I'm going to check my options! Thanks.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7 år sedan

I specialize in large artwork and I work with a designer who deals with drab offices. The easiest way to spruce things up 1) lighting 2) paint (if they allow it) 3) if they don't allow it, large artwork.

Check out my work here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/shoagallery

One large artwork on your wall can change the entire space.

Enjoy decorating!

(I've recently put together a video that I'll show off here :-) )

• sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Shoa -- thank you! That's true -- a large piece could make me forget about the metal :)

• PRO
    Kebabian's Rugs
    7 år sedan

I am in love with rugs and that is our business, so of course I am biased. Since you brought up the idea of a rug I have given myself permission to argue for a beautiful rug 1. when it goes down the quality of life in the room goes up 2. pleasing to the eye and stimulating to the mind - like Mozart is pleasing to the ear and satisfying to the mind 3. gives a distinct location to the place, beckons you in, makes it unforgettable... Your current office has nothing memorable about it at the moment and entering feels laborious and that's before you even start getting down to work. File cabinet? Cover it with photos of places you have been and love or places you long to go to. Travel agencies have awesome brochures. Rug - get something real, handmade, something that gives the vibe you desire. Create a space where you "Enter" and are encouraged to do all things well in your work. Give yourself permission to love what you love. Final thought on file cabinet. It is an awesome "blank space" to cover with whatever you want, but I do encourage a theme - not family photos, I think they should be nicely framed and grounded... but if not places to go why not golf, dogs, etc. whatever inspires or makes you smile. Wishing you all the best as you create YOUR workspace :) Peggy from Kebabian's

sarneg thanked Kebabian's Rugs
  • Maureen
    7 år sedan

I would rethink how you are storing items on the bookcases - see pic #1 with the baskets and also add a nice lamp (one below is great) on your desk. Add some personal items and a Turkish throw over the back of your chair. I might move the desk into the middle of the room and can the sides be painted (navy? - so the chairs work with the look) and then repeat navy in an area rug and some fun/whimsical art. I realize this is a commercial office, so you may not have the full range of options.

Honeycomb Fouta Towel, Multicolor, Blue · Mer info

sarneg thanked Maureen
  • cpaul1
    7 år sedan

You are going to have to invest in some furniture. I would buy a pretty, on the small side desk and I would sit it long wise (the opposite direction you currently have) with the back up to that blank wall so that you are using up the longer length of space in that room and you are positioned to look out the window from all of the desk seating.

Then I would get two small, patterned chairs to put in front of the desk. I would put down a rectangular rug running the same direction as the desk. I would put a large tree/palm in the corner where that small bookcase is now next to the window to help bring some outdoors inside.

I would remove that metal bookcase and paint/decorate the larger bookcase you already have and leave it where it is.

I would hang decorative panels on the wall behind my desk and then add a lamp. I would hang artwork or a wall mural on adjacent wall.

sarneg thanked cpaul1
  • sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Kebabian's rugs -- thank you! Definitely take the opener on the rugs--I'm okay with that! :) I appreciate your suggestions!

• sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Maureen -- Thank you for the suggestions and photos to help bring it together!

• sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

cpaul1 -- oh, how I wish I could get different furniture :) This is provided for me via work and, while I don't mind buying a few items I'm not sure I can get the whole set up! I very much appreciate your ideas, most of which I can and will incorporate as I perk up my space and make it more memorable! Thanks!

• Maureen
    7 år sedan

You can get away from not buying furniture...accessorizing/personalizing/addressing bookcases are the keys. Have fun!

sarneg thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    7 år sedan

Here are a few select images for home offices we did for clients. Adding artwork, pillows, and lamps maybe help.

Sammamish Home · Mer info

Sammamish Home · Mer info

sarneg thanked Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
  • kathleen MK
    7 år sedan
    I have a classroom full of that gorgeous metal furniture. I know some of my cohorts have painted them but contact paper is removable. Bright accessory help them fade in background. you can also use magnets to add decorative and functional items.
    sarneg thanked kathleen MK
  • PRO
    Chris Zec Photography
    7 år sedan

Deco did a great job reconfiguring your space! Serene artwork with a vista is always good for opening up a small space and providing a serene focal point. We helped an attorney w a similar office do just that; she loves it! This is one of her choices...have fun!

Docks · Mer info

sarneg thanked Chris Zec Photography
  • sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Kathleen MK -- Yes! Classrooms and metal furniture go hand in hand! I'm going to do my best for the "fading"! :)

• sarneg
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Chris Zec Photography -- Thank you! I do like the layout, too. I'm going to give it a try in the space this week and see if it works!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.