acpurcell

Where should backsplash stop?

Is it just me or should the tile go to the end of the countertop?

Kommentarer (32)

• hellumme
    7 år sedan
    I think I would take it straight to the door frame.
  • Cindy Scott
    7 år sedan
    For me... Mine is to the edge of the counter and up to the bottom of the cabinets
  • Jo B
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

this is a hard one because as soon as you take it too the end of the bench top - it will look just as out of place with the upper cabinetry.

I think you'll need to decide which you can live with better. Maybe blu-tack some faux tiles up in line with the bench top and see if you like that any better than the way it currently is.

• Courtney Shaughnessy
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Tile guys said it's supposed to go to the cabinet but I think it looks odd.
  • Jennifer Havin
    7 år sedan
    counter
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    7 år sedan

I'm with your tile guy. I think it looks odd to go out beyond the upper cabinet and then have some weird cuts or bullnose attempt at the top.

• geo55
    7 år sedan
    hmm, I think that would be better. A backsplash, after all,
    is supposed to be for countertop splashes, right?
  • chloebud
    7 år sedan

I would keep it lined up with the upper cabinets...no problem.

• Bev
    7 år sedan

There was an article and debate about this a few weeks ago and you always stop your backsplash with the end of the top cabinet! It just looks a little different because of how close the door frame is to the end of the cabinets.

• chloebud
    7 år sedan

Also, you can set something on the end of the counter there and forget all about it. It's really just fine.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 år sedan

As Bev said, there was similar dilemma a few weeks ago. End-of-cabinet carried the day, pros & homeowners alike.

• Susan Schwartz
    7 år sedan

it might help if you made the wall the same color as the tile, or less contrasting with it. the other possib. is to cut the countertop! :)

• Bruce Crawford
    7 år sedan

I think issue is minimized by fact coutertop ends at door casing. To me, it's like the countertop is supposed to end where it can go no farther & backsplash ends at cabs, both natural termination points. If countertop ended on open wall so it was sort of dangling in space w/ backsplash left behind at cabs it would be more of an eye-catcher.

• Courtney Shaughnessy
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    This was helpful. Thank you! I'll leave it as it is. We are definitely going to paint. I agree it will also help it stick out less, and I'll very likely set something there.
  • sumjay
    7 år sedan
    It looks off because the edges are full size tiles and that forces the herringbone pattern to be cut off early. Can you use a thinner edge?
  • PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

My 2cents worth is that this is the result of really bad (or no) planning...

• PRO
    Reach Design
    7 år sedan

I think yours is in the right space now. It would look really awkward if it went with the counter. It would also leave the little sliver of wall paint between the door and the backsplash.

• km kane
    7 år sedan
    I think it looks awkward. The edge tile is way too wide. Not a good design
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 år sedan

Professional tile setters say the way to do it is exactly as you have it--in line with the upper cabinets. Even if the upper and lower cabinets align, the countertop will always extend about 1-2" beyond.

• Danielle Black
    7 år sedan
    I think it's fine and if you continue that pattern with that strip finish at the end you'd go to the door frame

Maybe a plant there so you don't look At it if it bothers you
    I think it's fine
  • namastegal
    5 år sedan
    I think that you were limited when the tile guy started the herringbone. Just love it for what it is, just lovely.
  • PRO
    Barnes Custom Builders
    5 år sedan

I think it's personal preference - if you went to end of counter-top, you would have a little floating corner. I have seen it end under the wall cabinet more often than not, in a situation like this.

• namastegal
    5 år sedan
    Mine (not grouted yes) used the column as a natural boundary and we didn’t use bullnose on that side of the room. On the other side of the room, we ended with bullnose under cabinet.
  • K R
    5 år sedan
    In this case...I’d leave it as is.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    5 år sedan

Original post was from 2016.

• namastegal
    5 år sedan
    Thank you, I didn’t notice the date.
  • Courtney Shaughnessy
    Författare
    5 år sedan
    For anyone interested in the final result here is my before and after. I don’t even notice the tile not extending to the counter. I think it turned out well.
  • namastegal
    5 år sedan
    You are very right! It turned out great!!
  • km kane
    5 år sedan
    Seeing this again, it still looks awkward. I think the tile should have been brought out to meet the trim on the left
  • km kane
    5 år sedan
    It doesn’t matter how old the post is. People have this type of question all the time
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 år sedan

Courtney, your kitchen is stunning! You made the right choice with the backsplash.

• Danielle Black
    5 år sedan

Great!!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.