kaladean

Need help with granite and paint!

Kala Dean
7 år sedan
I'm rebuilding my house after a house fire so it is very much like new construction. I have to pick my paint colors before my hard finishes are in which is proving extremely difficult for me. I want to do a "cool" color palette for my house with grays. My cabinets will be Chantilly Lace, a true white. My hardwood floors will be walnut.
What do you think about this granite, Ice White, with my cabinets and hardwood?
Do you like any of these paint colors? Left to right it is Gray Owl, Horizon, Moonshine. Please help!

Kommentarer (40)

• lor23
    7 år sedan
    That granite looks amazing!!!! Whatever paint you choose to do for your house, I don't recommend gray owl. We went through so many grays and finally settle for gray owl, painted one of our walls in the living room that color, and it looked too purple or shall I say lavender. Looked pretty much like a baby girls room. Which ever color you choose, check the undertone. Good luck!
    Kala Dean thanked lor23
  • PRO
    charlieben
    7 år sedan
    I like the one on the left. ❤️ although they look very similar.
    Kala Dean thanked charlieben
  • PRO
    Finnished Homes LLC
    7 år sedan
    I think revere pewter by benjamin moore on the walls would tie in nicely to your cabinets and countertops and break up all the white
    Kala Dean thanked Finnished Homes LLC
  • calidesign
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

The granite is beautiful. It would be better to choose your paint based on how the paint samples look in your house. The colors will all look okay with the granite, so it is more important to see it against any furnishings you have and with your lighting.

Kala Dean thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Finnished Homes LLC
    7 år sedan
    This is revere pewter, i have used it in our last two houses and plan to use it again in the one we are building now ...
    Kala Dean thanked Finnished Homes LLC
  • life4real
    7 år sedan
    I like moonshine. I think it can look like a grey-green in certain lighting, but I happen to like that.
    Kala Dean thanked life4real
  • Kala Dean
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Thanks for the responses! I'll have to check out revere pewter although I wonder if it's too "warm" of a gray. Here is another picture of the granite without the paint samples. I haven't purchased the granite yet. Wanting to make sure it's the right granite to go with the cabinets and hardwood??
  • chiflipper
    7 år sedan

Remember that your lighting is going to have a big impact as to how the colors will look in your home. Most commercial lighting is "bright white", not "warm white".

Kala Dean thanked chiflipper
  • Emily Jowers
    7 år sedan

Your countertop looks like it has blue (maybe even purple) undertones in it. Matching these undertones to the undertones in the paint color would probably be a good idea. That countertop is beautiful. I do think a wood with less red in it would look better though, considering the undertones in the counters. One more like these would be nice.

Or maybe darker.

I don't particularly like red undertones in wood though, so that might just be personal preference, but I don't like the floor and counter together.

Kala Dean thanked Emily Jowers
  • Kala Dean
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Good thoughts, Emily. Maybe the undertones in the wood sample and the undertones in the granite not being a good match are what are causing me to be unsure. The wood will be sanded and finished onsite so I'll have ability to change the wood color if I want. This is a walnut sample with natural finish. I could go oak and stain dark. Thanks for your feedback!

• Linda Hurley
    7 år sedan
    I think your countertop is beautiful! If you're looking to do a cool grey, probably the middle one is more cool. Def not the one on the left. Why don't you ask the person at the paint store, they can be a big help if it's an actual paint store such as Benjamin Moore not a Home Depot .
    Kala Dean thanked Linda Hurley
  • emmarene9
    7 år sedan

Your samples look muddy to me, in comparison to your slab. The samples on each end also look greenish. The silver stripe is a color I drew from the slab.

Of course, the slab may look green in person.

I love the granite but I am not sure you should use a cool color on the walls. The slab is mostly cool and Chantilly Lace is a cool blue. Maybe a neutral would be good on the walls to help blend with the flooring. Something like SW Accessible Beige or even BM White Dove.

Kala Dean thanked emmarene9
  • Kala Dean
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Ooh, thanks for the feedback Emmarene! You are right, the paint samples I have do look very muddy in comparison to the slab. I feel like something is not quite right and couldn't put my finger on it. i like the silver you put next to the slab. If needed I can change the wood as I'm doing sand and finish on site- this sample is natural walnut but I could pick oak instead and stain it any color. Thanks!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan
    Don't make decision based on light in this granite yard. Nice granite. That is probably a good starting point, but you need to check those sample boards (good job!) in your house in day light and night. I would choose the lightest which might be Horizon. I would not pick gray owl. Purple undertones. Let me check undertones. I will be back.
    Kala Dean thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 år sedan

Pics can lie but I would go for the lighter one in the middle

Kala Dean thanked Studio NOO Design
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

Well, we have a lot of different "eyes" on these colors. If you are using Benjamin Moore paint, (not a Match from Home Depot or Sherwin Williams) their paint is full color spectrum paint so you will get the "truest" color. Your expert at Benjamin Moore can really help you with the undertones. I have looked at my paint deck from BM and I am concerned that your cabinet color (is that locked in?) Chantilly Lace has yellow undertones. But the light in your house is really the only determining factor. I agree your stain for the flooring is a bit too red, so you can adjust that back to a walnut (which has gray undertones usually) and if your are locked into the Chantilly Lace, then be very careful with the adjoining colors. Get a paint chip of Brilliant White and use that as a comparison and it will help you "see" the undertones. You can also compare to other colors on the wheel to see those undertones. If you can, for cabinets you might want to check BM White Diamond OC-61. It is pretty true white. Revere Pewter has definite beige undertones. I think of the grays you have samples of the Moonshine looks best to me. Again, my computer screen, my light, etc. So on the Grays I would lean to Moonshine, but you really need to make sure the color for your cabinets is not going to look yellow next to any other color. I don't have the formulas for these at my fingertips, but your BM folks will and they can be of great help. Make sure you talk to a senior person, not just the person who is new and isn't steeped in color work. Another thing, on the granite slab. I notice the slab gets real muddled toward the one side? That will mean that might look really different once you get the slab laid out? Make sure you and the fabricator know exactly what pieces will go where from this slab. If it is all going on an island then you are probably OK, but personally, I don't like that far upper 2' or so across the slab. It might just be a "shadow" in the warehouse that I am seeing, but just to be sure. Also, get the specific slab number and bundle number for purposes of ensuring you get the right slab. That is my best advice for now. Keep us posted. Glad to be helping at this stage, because after the slab is installed, you own it! Better to do what you are doing, so I commend you on your efforts.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 år sedan

I just love that granite slab, and think you are making a very beautiful choice for your new kitchen!

However, once again, we have a debate regarding color among individuals making judgements from a computer monitor. It is impossible to discern the "true" color, meaning the way the color will look in this homeowner's space, by viewing it on a computer monitor. It is exceedingly difficult to see the undertones, which have a major impact on the way the color appears on a large scale, on a computer monitor.

Listen to those who have advised you to view all the options in natural daylight. Take all your samples to the stone yard and have the slab brought outside for you to view. Also, keep in mind that if you want a pure white, with no undertones, just use Benjamin Moore "White."

Kala Dean thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Ann Orr
    7 år sedan
    Personally I would wait until the cabinets and counter are installed as well as the lighting. It's not hard to tape edges and then paint. All joints will have to be caulked anyway so this should not be an issue. I assume you will have a backsplash as well and if so what had you planned to use? Either way I would go with a darker tone paint as a contrast to all the white.
    Kala Dean thanked Ann Orr
  • life4real
    7 år sedan
    I really think Flo Mangan just gave you some very valuable advice!
    Kala Dean thanked life4real
  • Kala Dean
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you so much everyone for the great advice and input! To answer your question, Flo Mangan, yes, I am locked into Chantilly Lace for the cabinet paint color. That's the only thing that's locked in so far. I chose Chantilly Lace because I thought it would be a pure white without yellow undertones.

As far as backsplash, Ann Orr, I have not picked anything out but was thinking something simple like white subway tile. I'd love any any recommendations!

• Ann Orr
    7 år sedan

Well, the granite is so spectacular, I just love it, I would pick a colours or tone from it to highlight it but I wouldn't use white myself.

Kala Dean thanked Ann Orr
  • leelee
    7 år sedan

After granite is installed then get trial sizes of the paint you're considering and put it on the actual walls of your kitchen. You might be surprised at how much the colors change from one wall to the next and also with the lighting.

You aren't going to get a true picture with paint on paper.

Kala Dean thanked leelee
  • PRO
    KLD Interiors, LLC
    7 år sedan

I recently remodeled a kitchen with white cabinets, dark wood floors and white/gray quartzite. I used Sherwin Williams agreeable gray, through out and it looks stunning. It is a combo of gray/beige. Good Luck.

Kala Dean thanked KLD Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

If you are locked in on Chantilly Lace, and if you can wait until you get the cabinets into the space, I would wait to select the paint. You can have samples ready, but that way you can be sure. You might not have your lighting installed, but at least you will know for sure what the color of your cabinets does in the space with the natural light you have. Color is very tricky and with the low-E glass in windows, it is even trickier because that glass does crazy things with light in rooms. But don't loose sleep over this. It will all work out. The rooms that the paint color will matter most are your most used rooms, typically kitchen, living/great rooms, entries (sometimes two story!) and master bedroom. The rest can be redone fairly easily later if needed. Tips on doing "sample boards". SW has a good "sample board" product now that is a firm white board. Put two coats of the sample paint on that board. That will give you a good idea of the color, although not completely precise because the sample paint is a egg shell or satin finish and so the "flat" finish you will probably use will show a very slight difference. You can have a good feel for what you like by doing this and checking in the light of your "new" home. Best of luck, I'm sure it has been a very rocky ride. Hope you are nothing but lucky down the road ahead!

• Kala Dean
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you for the additional feedback, Flo Mangan! I am getting a lot of pressure from the contractor and painter to select paint colors for the entire house now. Sheetrock is hung and they are doing texture now. They want to come in next and blast out the paint, before the flooring or cabinets go in. The kitchen i could repaint later if I needed to if my initial paint selection didn't end up working becaus it is a nine foot ceiling height in that room. But the living and dining room area as well as the master bedroom are all two stories high so realistically I won't be able to repaint those areas any time soon. Super tough with a complete blank slate and no hard finishes in. I was planning on using Chantilly Lace on all my trimwork since my cabinets are being made with that, but that is my only hard finish I'm locked into now. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

Has your builder "received" your cabinets? Or their sub "received" them? If so, see if you can get a "door" from the cabinets and bring that to the house. That would help so you know exactly what they actually look like. I know you don't want to hold them up, but this is a critical decision. I wouldn't do your trim the color of your cabinets, unless they are doing crown molding for the cabinets? These are decisions that are so hard to make when you aren't familiar with their processes, so I feel for you. You had a cabinet "sample", but those are not good to work with because they have been handled, and over time fade so it can help but I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist, but whites vary all over the place. I think you will be fine in every area but the kitchen. Talk to your builder or the company you selected kitchen cabinets from and see if you can get a "door". those are usually packaged up separately anyway, and then they "clip in" on hinges. Then, they could tell the painters to do everything before the kitchen. But they spray that darn paint on fast, depending on how many are in their crews. So, wish I had a magic wand here. See if getting a cabinet door is an option, then we can go from there.

• me1977
    7 år sedan
    I love the granite, so much I'm checking it out for my remodel. I have painted with Horizon in the past, beautiful color with definite blue undertones.
    Kala Dean thanked me1977
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan
    What did you decide?
  • Kala Dean
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks for checking back, Flo Mangan! I went ahead and put a deposit down on the Ice White granite, so now that is locked in. I took your advice and have requested one of my actual cabinet doors but have not heard back yet from the cabinet guy. To answer your question about crown on the cabinets, yes, the cabinet guy is doing crown on the kitchen cabinets. That's why my plan was to keep it simple and do Chantilly Lace on all trim throughout the house. The drywallers are doing tape and texture on the Sheetrock now. I think I may have a week or so before I have to tell them paint colors. Once they start paint they will be in with a big crew to blast it out quickly. The kitchen i could re do on my own later if needed but the living/dining/master are all two stories so just one shot at paint in those areas. Those areas all get a lot of natural light. Any suggestions for an overall neutral "cool" paint color? I love the gray/green/blue palette. We lost most of our furniture in the fire so I'm truly a blank slate when it comes to furnishings, decor, bedding. Nothing has been selected at this point. It's all so overwhelming.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

I can understand how overwhelming this is. Not only to have the emotional turmoil of what you have been through, but the stress of construction is almost more than a being can take. But, mark my words, you will do it and you will be very happy in the end. A color in the gray/green/blue palette that I haven't used but others have and are very happy is SW Light French Gray SW 0055. You might try a sample of that. I think it has blue undertones, so it might be right along the line you want. With a lot of natural light, perhaps it would hit just the right note. As you know, you have to do a sample board, yadayahda! I would bug them about the door from kitchen cabinets. Squeaky wheel gets the oil!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

I think the trim color will work, especially with a lot of light in the spaces, but I just OCD on paint colors to make sure because it is such an investment in time and money. Hoping all works well!

• lynartist
    7 år sedan
    Beautiful granite! I just checked my fan decks and chantilly lace is a very cool white( blue undertone) so you should be fine in that respect. Grey owl, although a lovely color, is what I refer to as a chameleon color! It can look very different in any number of environments! You may have this problem with moonshine as it is a bit warmer but wait until your cabinets and countertops and floors are installed. All this plus lighting in your room can make a huge difference. Horizon is a pale blue/ gray. I think the walnut floors will be stunning. Try not to obsess about the wall color this early out as any of these may not make the cut in the end. I'm sure it will turn out beautiful!
    Kala Dean thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    7 år sedan
    Kaladean, I just now went back and read through more of this thread and realize you have a much smaller window of time in which to make paint selections! As much as we would all love to help you more it it impossible to do so as monitors are so inaccurate in this regard. Lighting is also a huge factor! As this is a large project and investment I would encourage you to hire a professional color consultant to help you make this decision. You would be surprised how quickly this can be achieved! It distresses me to see people go through this and see pictures of walls with numerous paint samples on them:(. Perhaps your contractor or your local BM dealer can recommend someone in your area.
    Kala Dean thanked lynartist
  • Kala Dean
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Update- it turned out that the entire lot of the White Ice granite that I selected was damaged in shipping and it all has hairline fractures. The original slab I started this discussion with that I was hoping to use for my island does not have enough usable granite for my island but I can use some of the undamaged portions for part of the perimeter counters. Here is a pic of the only slab in this lot that has enough undamaged space for my island. I don't like it as well as my original slab although it is still pretty and the original slab would now be on the perimeter. Or...wondering if I need to start my slab search over. My husband thinks I'm being too picky. Thoughts on this new slab?
  • jldp
    7 år sedan
    We used Ice Granite in our remodel and love it. Fortunately we painted after the granite was installed because of the lighting and the variations in this dramatic granite. BM White Dove worked for us!
    Kala Dean thanked jldp
  • Carol R
    7 år sedan
    BM Paperdoll would be beautiful. Don't be afraid of how light it looks, it's very soft and just a hint of grey.
    Kala Dean thanked Carol R
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

The granite slab looks like it goes "lavender" on my monitor? So, I might avoid that. Also, if this batch is damaged, I would also avoid it. Reason, when they start cutting and doing the edging, this slab will probably produce cracking too. Reselect is my advice. You will find another that you like, maybe even better. Sometimes we get "stuck" and don't open our eyes to ones that are great. What you don't want, is to get to the stage where they are putting this granite in your kitchen and they put the perimeter countertops on and then you notice tiny fissures in your island slab! That has happened more than you think. Then you are really in a fix. So, find a better quality slab and you will be happier in the long run. Last is paint choice. I am not familiar with BM Paperdoll but once you have cabinet color selected, flooring selected and granite selected, then you can get some sample boards going and put in the room, even though you won't have good artificial light at that stage of construction, but you can get an idea of what you like. But granite selection first. Tell hubby you are being "wise" and trying to avoid bigger problems down the road that cost a ton of time and money to work around.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

BTW, I know how emotional these decisions are, so I do really feel for you when something like this happens. But in the end, it always seems to work out, so have faith!

• Kala Dean
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Good good advice, Flo Mangan. I think I'll abandon the Ice White. I did see this leathered quartzite that intrigued me, Perla Veneta. I've never had leathered stone or quartzite but it seemed lovely and I like how neutral it is. I'm locked into the white cabinet color but not the hardwood sample here.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.