nickybat

I want to install a breakfast bar.

Nicola Batkin
7 år sedan

Can I put a 900mm worktop onto a 300mm x 1000mm base unit to form a breakfast bar?

I moved into a 7 year old house in the summer. The kitchen is in good condition so doesn't need replacing. However I desperately needs more storage space and would also like to have a breakfast bar/dining area. Combining the two requirements, I wondered if I'd be able to put a 900mm wide worktop onto 300mm deep units, with doors opening under the worktop on one side and a panel on the other.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kommentarer (6)

• Nicola Batkin
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I was thinking of putting the 300mm units in the middle of the 900mm worktop, with 300mm overhang on each side? With the doors opening under the worktop on one side, and an end panel along the other side. Does that make sense?

• PRO
    N7 Design Studio Ltd.
    7 år sedan

Hi Nicola, I wouldn't recommend putting a 900mm worktop on top of a 300mm base units. Worktops can be incredibly heavy and need a strong fixing to the base unit below.

Also, the way you've described above, it would be quite awkward to access the cupboards with a 300mm overhang.

I think you have two options, 1. To get a 600mm base unit or 2. To get 2x300mm base units that are back to back which will give you storage both sides. The doors under the 300mm overhang can be discreet (eg. without handles). You'll no doubt have breakfast bar stools under here anyway.

I hope you find this helpful.

Nicola Batkin thanked N7 Design Studio Ltd.
  • Nicola Batkin
    Författare
    7 år sedan

This is my attempt at a design sketch! Do you think this would be OK?

the base units along the wall are 600mm deep.

I know you would normally have a long run of worktop against the wall, but if the breakfast bar sat on the back wall base units, it should give it extra support.

What do you think?

• Joanna C
    7 år sedan
    Other than the shape of the breakfast bar making me giggle - I think it could be very awkward. If you had a couple of people sitting at it, you would struggle to access the cabinets and get around the kitchen.
    Nicola Batkin thanked Joanna C
  • Nicola Batkin
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Oops! I realised my design looked a bit risqué after I'd sent it Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.