marleyelbert46

what is the latest trend in dry wall texture

Marlene Elbert
7 år sedan

we are building an open floorplan house in the foothills of Montana. what is the latest trend in drywall texture for a polished rustic summer home. 25 x 20 great room with 16 foot ceilings and a loft bedroom.

Kommentarer (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år sedan

PLEASE do not do textured walls

Marlene Elbert thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • miacometlady
    7 år sedan
    The latest trend for textured walls is not plaster, it's ship lap!
    Marlene Elbert thanked miacometlady
  • Kris Mays
    7 år sedan

I think this is really a regional thing. I like the plaster look texture nd I won't do anything else. Many designers prefer no texture, but it is hard to find drywaller's that are skilled enough to do that and in many areas it is not available. Just don't do orange peel!

Marlene Elbert thanked Kris Mays
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år sedan

IMO if your drywaller can’t do a smooth finish find one that can, what a cop out , this is the reason so many have that horrible textured ceiling because the drywallers don’t know how to do a decent job.

Marlene Elbert thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • User
    7 år sedan

The problem with textured plaster (and I'm married to a medievalist) is resale. It's just not popular. You can achieve the same look with ragging on diluted paint, in multi layers, it's easy to paint over with a roller for resale.

I agree on the shiplap.

Marlene Elbert thanked User
  • Kris Mays
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I have never seen smooth done in either of the states/areas I've lived in. It's not a cop out if it's not available.

Trek, some type of texture is the most typical finish for drywall, here.

Love shiplap.

Marlene Elbert thanked Kris Mays
  • User
    7 år sedan

Kris, where is "here" ? Is it a Spanish influence?

Marlene Elbert thanked User
  • km kane
    7 år sedan
    I agree about shiplap being a five minute style, even Joanna Gaines, who made it all the rage, isn't using it as much anymore.

I also agree it's a regional thing. And a personal thing. I happen to love smooth walls.

But I just did a new build in Central Oregon and wanted semi-smooth, somewhat rustic walls. It just cost me more to get them and I had to really look to find an experienced finisher. In this area, most homes have a rough-ish, rustic type, hand plastered finish. Most are more enhanced than mine, almost Tuscan style even.

In the historic homes in Portland, people are going for very smooth walls. In the new builds, it's orange peel all the way, because the builders can easily spray that crap on. ICK!!!!!

No orange peel! THAT is a cop-op. Cheap and cheap looking.
    Marlene Elbert thanked km kane
  • hthompsoncolorado
    6 år sedan

Hi Marlene! Are you in Northern Montana? We're moving to Whitefish this September. Great minds think alike -- I'm doing the house 60/40 polished/rustic.

Trending now: Completely smooth walls, Level 5 finish. This contrasts nicely with the reclaimed wood panel or sliding door everyone is doing, and with the hand-tooled pewter hardware. I'm liking BM Matte in Chantilly Lace or Snowfall White, Super White looks a little chalky in Northern light, and Simply White is simply muddy and meh. Sherwin-Williams Ceiling Primer is also another good option, surprisingly. And SW can match any color -- they created a custom shade, Tuxedo White, by color-matching a cat's fur. It's hard to find a true matte finish, and SW Ceiling Primer tlooks amazing when used as paint. It's high-build, which adds smoothness, and it's quite durable. I've heard you can make it even more durable by mixing in a bit of paint hardener, for high-traffic areas or a house with children.

• sharayak
    6 år sedan
    I'm 30 and I don't know if I've ever seen textured walls, except for my grandparents basement from 1971. As far as the comment about drywallers not being able to do smooth drywall, isn't that point of drywall? Getting the wall smooth and finished?
  • PRO
    Becky Broeder Design
    6 år sedan

Hi, Marlene, I'm a designer in Missoula and have often asked myself the same question. Smooth is the way to go, but it amplifies any flaws in sheetrock hanging and taping. Also, it's much more expensive. Currently, I'm specifying for a development in Hamilton and the base model will likely not be smooth due to cost concerns. I think a good compromise is the Old World finish with the least amount of variation. My drywaller is an absolute ace and a pro at a smooth level 5 finish and I'm happy with his level of variation on the Old World finish. I do agree with the sentiments that labor is disappearing with an aging work force and not a lot of younger people in the trades. The best guys are so busy! Hope this helps- let me know if you need interior design assistance here in MT. Welcome to Montana!

• David Cowan
    5 år sedan

As a late add to the conversation, it is undeniably regional. Lived in Oregon for 20 years, never saw an untextured wall in a home. Moved to Virginia, and I've only seen textured walls in some high-end homes.

• Ms Smith
    4 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 4 år sedan

I've lived in 5 states before moving to TX this year and never had textured walls. However, every single house I looked at in TX had textured walls, including the one I bought. Am redoing the guest bath and they charge extra to have smooth drywall, so I'll probably stick with the textured walls for now but will pay extra for smooth wall when I redo the kitchen as its a bigger area that more people see.

• Neil Hoffman
    4 år sedan

I personally do not like smooth walls. Super easy to see every little imperfection. I don't care how good your drywall guy is, there is always a spot that isn't 100%.

We went with a medium knock down on our house 10 years ago. I like it. Currently building a new house and am undecided on knock down or orange peel. Leaning towards knock down again.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.