ncgirl317

Choosing a Coffee Table, Need Suggestions please!

Lori
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:7 år sedan

Please help me figure out what kind of coffee table would look best in my family room. The two sofas are 95" long with 6' between them. New house and just got the sofa and chairs last week, still need a rug, side tables, etc. as well.

I'll include pics of the kitchen & breakfast so you can see what is already in the area, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks!!!

Lori

Kommentarer (34)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år sedan

Long and narrow as you need walk space between the sofas and the coffee table in fact maybe 2 36” square ones would be a better choice you are in real need of lighting in the space and also a table between the 2 chairs

Lori thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • mzapper
    7 år sedan

are you planning on an area rug?

• Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Yes, I need all of that plus a rug, too! Figured I would start with the coffee table.

• mzapper
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I agree you need a fairly narrow coffee table or a couple smaller tables would look nice too. If you have a really pretty rug with some colour and pattern you may want glass (which will also make the space look bigger) maybe with a little silver like your pendants ...or maybe you want a wooden table a bit darker to go with the other darker wood furniture I see in your dining area (and also legs of furniture in your living area). I think you have a lot of options...but I would really choose rug first as I think that will have an influence on the table decision.

Our Latest Project - 523 Green Haven View · Mer info

1 - North Shore Traditional Home with Urban Edginess · Mer info

Lori thanked mzapper
  • Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I'm struggling with a rug, would love some color in there but I would also like to change out the pillows every once in a while to change it up. I'm concerned that if I choose a colorful rug rather than a solid neutral then I'l be stuck with the rug's permanent color scheme. I can change out the pillows but won't be able to afford to do that with a rug...

• mzapper
    7 år sedan

a few other general coffee table ideas..oh and it's a very nice house..meant to say!

Bling Bling George Kovacs Chrome Mini Pendant with Crystal · Mer info

Hudson Residence II - Dining and Living Room · Mer info

West 13th - Kitsilano Casual · Mer info

Vancouver Urban Condo · Mer info

• Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

mzapper --I like both of those tables, even though they are really two different looks. I've seen these two at a local store, somewhat similar...

• mzapper
    7 år sedan

Lori - I think either of those could work - just measure out the space to make sure and pick what you like best - you obviously have good taste so am sure it will look great!

Lori thanked mzapper
  • havingfun
    7 år sedan

i think you need to decide on the rug first. and have you thought that maybe you could move the seating out a touch? you do not want to be walking behind at all because the electric cords. also are young children involved?

Lori thanked havingfun
  • Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

That is the problem, I don't know what to pick! I'm really not sure what would look best with my furniture and I like so many different styles so I'm not drawn to one thing more than another. The only thing I would rather stay away from is something ornate... been there done that so I'm enjoying the simpler styles now.

• Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

havingfun --No younger kids, a tween and two college-age. I'm concerned that if I pushed the sofa to the window and wall, there would be too much space in-between. There is already 6' between them now with another 2-3 feet between the sofa backs and the walls. That would put them 11-12 feet apart.

• havingfun
    7 år sedan

some rugs

include a couple other things with gold.

Dendro Rug Sample · Mer info

Arise Addison Navy And Ivory Rectangular: 8 Ft X 11 Ft Rug Artistic Weavers Area · Mer info

Dark Gray 5' x 8' Restoration Rug | Area Rugs | eSaleRugs · Mer info
    allows you to go in many directions.
    Blair Rug | Joss & Main · Mer info
    remember, you just need to remember that there should be 3 things in the room in that color. gray is there, if blue is gone, remember to put something in there if you go christmas make sure you have 3 of the red whatever color.

• Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I'm open to rug suggestions as well, maybe I should have asked for room help instead of just a coffee table but my budget is going to dictate buying one item at a time, then recovering, then buying another piece and so on! :)

• havingfun
    7 år sedan

you just put what you decide on in the middle then move your sofas to fit. i figure if we get an idea on your rug, we can go on to tables, etc. oh what about these curtains, i love them, bit of softness.

New Products Panels Panel Sets Window Treatments | Bellacor · Mer info

• mjconti
    7 år sedan

The furniture arrangement looks a little tightly arranged for the size of the room and too symmetric. I think the chairs would look nice placed on the sides of the fireplace, instead of blocking the traffic flow from the kitchen, although they wouldn't be good for tv viewing, but there is plenty of other seating for that. They would also add color to the fireplace wall. A rug with a lot of color options would look great too. Too many throw pillows are usually in the way when people want to sit down.

• Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

marilynjoc -- built ins will be going in the space on either side of the fireplace and the sofas need to stay put, I have a large foyer opening that wouldn't be good to block with a sofa. There is almost 3' behind each sofa and 6' between, so in person it does not feel tight but maybe that is not enough?

• PRO
    ECustomFinishes
    7 år sedan

Reclaimed wood might not be for everyone but, for a coffee table, its an excellent option if you think it will get a lot of [hard] use. Reclaimed wood won't show up the blemishes that smooth new wood tables have and add a ton of charm to the environment. This is a photo of an old oak coffee table we did in a natural color and would tie in the color from the floors and you blinds nicely. We have lots more to see if you'd like to come to our site www.ecustomfinishes.com

Lori thanked ECustomFinishes
  • mjconti
    7 år sedan

Hard to tell from a photo, but the furniture arranged in a defined rectangular shape doesn't look relaxed/casual in some way. There are so many talented pros on this site, they will be the most helpful!

• leelee
    7 år sedan

In order for the coffee table to be useful it needs to be reachable from your sofas. About 18" between sofa and coffee table(s). So 18 + 18 = 36" which leaves 36" for the coffee table itself. I agree long would be nice with your sofas.

Lori thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 år sedan

A rug could define the space with the sofas and chairs. You've done a great job so far!

• Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

ECustomFinishes --I love reclaimed wood, we have the RH reclaimed in our DR and our breakfast table in the pictures above is the PB Griffin. I'll take a look at your site...

• Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Here is a better pic of the breakfast room off of and really part of the family room/kitchen area in case it helps with suggestions...

• Lori
    Författare
    7 år sedan

leelee --I do love the jute rugs! We bought one for our office but it was too big, but too small for the family room.

• xxxx xxxxx
    7 år sedan
    There is a fabulous RH large industrial rough wood coffee table that would fit there very well
  • xxxx xxxxx
    7 år sedan
    You need a large room size rug too
  • leelee
    7 år sedan

The jute would tie in with your blinds, too.

Lori thanked leelee
  • Lisa G
    7 år sedan

I just want to say your home is beautiful! Your family room looks very similar to mine so I'm looking forward to seeing the suggestions others have.

Lori thanked Lisa G
  • mzapper
    7 år sedan

perhaps a rug with just a little blue but not a bold pattern would work (nicely with your gorgeous throw pillows) and you wouldn't tire of it...or a neutral with a bit of beige/grey or silver

Ivory, Blue Kingston Area Rug by Loloi, 2'7"x12' · Mer info

Safavieh Patina Collection PTN324 Rug, Taupe/Blue, 10' X 14' · Mer info

Majestic Beige 5'3"X7'3" Rectangle Woven RugCasa Collection Collection · Mer info

Safavieh Vintage Collection VTG111 Rug, Light Grey, 8' X 11'2" · Mer info

• PRO
    Charles Neal Interiors
    7 år sedan

Below are a few ideas, from our designs, that might help with rug selection.

HGTV Showhouse Showdown TV show · Mer info

Hollywood Hills Living Room · Mer info

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    7 år sedan
    I'm going to suggest using two tables and I also suggest round at different heights and size to break up all of the straight lines in the room, also may I suggest swapping your breakfast room chairs to the opposite side of the table with the bench on the kitchen side, right now the high chairs backs are interrupting eye flow
  • calidesign
    7 år sedan

Beautiful space! I would use a small, round, glass topped metal table between the two chairs, and a long narrow rectangular dark wood coffee table between the sofas.

• havingfun
    7 år sedan

let me know if you want me to pitch the things above, i don't do jute, but maybe i can give some monotones. one of my big things is to shop reasonably, so always look at prices too on my items.

Jaipur Rugs Fables Valiant Area Rug - Area Rugs at Hayneedle · Mer info

Rugs America Gramercy 3205 Rugs | Rugs Direct · Mer info

Opus Contemporary Curves Area Rug, Cream by Lavish Home · Mer info

Birch Lane Avery Rug | Birch Lane · Mer info

• havingfun
    7 år sedan

Living Room Furniture - Sofas, Coffee Tables and Decor | At Home Stores · Mer info

Design Toscano Art Deco Petite Caddie End Table & Reviews | Wayfair · Mer info

End Tables Accent Tables - Walmart.com · Mer info

Coffee Tables Accent Tables - Walmart.com · Mer info

Monarch Specialties 3-Tiered Curved Console Table - Console Tables at Hayneedle · Mer info

Living Room Furniture - Sofas, Coffee Tables and Decor | At Home Stores · Mer info

Lehane Console Table | Joss & Main · Mer info

Coffee Tables | Joss & Main · Mer info

Modern End Tables | AllModern | AllModern · Mer info

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.