bjudger
7 år sedan
What is better wooden by-fold or aluminium

Kommentarer (9)

• PRO
    Isidora Markovic
    7 år sedan

Hi there,

I hugely prefer aluminium but it's down to personal taste to an extent.

What kind of look are you after? If more rustic, wooden would be better suited, but if contemporary then I'd say (grey) aluminium!

• Daisy England
    7 år sedan
    What else does it have to match up to? I prefer timber but they will need treatments every other year.
  • PRO
    Feioi
    7 år sedan

Hi bjudger

There are pros and cons for both but they're not significant so I think it's down to personal preference. Timber has slightly better thermal insulating properties and can work with most interior styles. A factory finished timber frame will last a while but will need retreating at some point. The frame thickness also tends to be wider. With aluminium frames, the profile is slightly thinner and it's a more contemporary look. These tend to be a little more expensive, particularly if you want a non-standard colour but you'll never need to retreat it. I suggest visiting a showroom and seeing some styles in person to help you make your decision.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

• ianthy
    7 år sedan

We have just installed bifold doors and went for aluminium. Due to the maintenance I just would not have considered wood. It's a matter of choice.

• PRO
    Ikonografik Design
    7 år sedan

I think the property the doors are being installed into also guides the choice of doors and windows, styles and materials. Modern properties may be more suited to aluminium and heritage / traditional [conservation area, listed buildings] are usually suited to timber, especially if the local planning authority insist on it.

• PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7 år sedan

Hi, Aluminium bi-folds would be less maintenance than timber, but dependant also on the style of your home and rest of your window frames...

• PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    7 år sedan

Timber is a good, strong material for bi-folds. They will have a slightly heavier frame than aluminium (but a nicer feel inside). Factory-finished timber bi-folds should only need a recoat every 8-10 years. The nice thing is you can change the colour scheme inside of your room - including the doors - whenever you feel like it.

• PRO
    IDSystems
    7 år sedan

It really depends on your project. We supply timber and aluminium systems (and a composite timber clad aluminium system) so we have no bias towards either system.

The comments above are all spot on, timber does require more maintenance, will be heavier, are slightly more expensive (c.15%), have a bit better thermal performance (Double glazed = 1.4W/m²K vs 1.6W/m²K), but have slightly larger sightlines (122mm x 115mm), but have the beautiful look of natural wood.

Our timber clad aluminium system offers the internal look and feel of timber but the performance of an aluminium system which gives you another alternative to consider.

All of our bifold doors are designed and manufactured by SUNFLEX in Germany, and with more than thirty years of experience we genuinely believe these are the most advanced systems on the market today.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.