ralphierosey

What Colour Should I Paint my Exterior Bricks?

ralphierosey
7 år sedan
senast redigerad:5 år sedan

Advice needed please – we are painting our exterior bricks. Have already painted roof, windows and balustrades white and am completely stuck on the main wall colour.
Grey, greige or dark coloured grey??
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
E&J

Kommentarer (37)

• cloudpants
    7 år sedan
    Our neighbours painted their red bricks grey and their house now looks amazing!
    ralphierosey thanked cloudpants
  • PRO
    RemaiConsult
    7 år sedan
    I would go for the darker grey over 'greige', it would be better especially since you're not cement rendering. The darker the colour, the less imperfections will be noticed. And it will be awesome against white
    All the best.
    ralphierosey thanked RemaiConsult
  • girlguides
    7 år sedan
    Great view Is that Canberra?
    ralphierosey thanked girlguides
  • LesleyH
    7 år sedan
    The brick seems in very good condition and a nice colour. I think you are setting yourself up for a maintenance problem. I'd put the money into landscaping etc instead.
    ralphierosey thanked LesleyH
  • PRO
    Dulux Paint
    7 år sedan

You could definitely have a look at the greige palette...I'd suggest you look at Dulux Teahouse, Timeless Grey, Limed White or Malay Grey, Flooded Gum or Dieskau...depending on how light or dark you want to go! All will look great with your roof!

ralphierosey thanked Dulux Paint
  • ralphierosey
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks for the comments. My husband is a painter so the maintenance wont be an issue. I like the idea of dark grey, however we get loads of sun and would perhaps fade too quickly. The ThreebirdRenovations have some lovely ideas too, but its hard to tell the true colour from a computer screen.

• PRO
    Dulux Paint
    7 år sedan

The greys I've given you are more in the mid base ...Malay grey is a happy medium.

ralphierosey thanked Dulux Paint
  • haephestus
    7 år sedan

I like it as is.

If you have the room, I'd look at getting some planters in a similar colour to the fence and place them on the driveway leading up to the front door. Some greenery against the brick would be really eye catching and soothing.

ralphierosey thanked haephestus
  • KK1000
    7 år sedan
    I agee with others , It's beautiful as is, maybe you could paint window frames and railings and bottom part at the entrance mid grey colour, it would sort of tie it with the grey fence and it would not be such a contrast with the red brick. I would never paint the brick. You would benefit from few plants around the place , spend your money and energy in the garden.
    ralphierosey thanked KK1000
  • ralphierosey
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Oh no!! now I'm totally confused and pleasantly surprised that you like the bricks.

Our original idea was to go all white with lots of green landscaping, similar to a Palm Springs MCM. Now that the features are white, and the house being quite large the all white look seems too much. Do you think there could be an option of painting mostly white but leaving some red brick features???

• LesleyH
    7 år sedan
    Is this a 60's house. If so a prize if the brickwork is kept. I would only repaint the windows.
  • PRO
    Adhmad Creations
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Timber stained or coloured screening and other features to break up the exterior look could be an option. Perhaps painting the side of the home in a choice colour and some landscape/pots of plants to contrast, leaving the front of the house in brick and landscaped... Just putting in ideas

• ralphierosey
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Thank you all so much for your comments.

As there are so many 60s MCM brick places here in Hobart, ours just seemed ordinary & dated.

Its a big decision that can't be undone. So red brick it will stay, for now at least.

Thanks again
  • philippawright
    7 år sedan

Embrace your MCM inside the house and go with some statement Palm springs style plants. Weather dependent of course.

Having been to Palm Springs last year the thing I would do is to change your balconies [ it looks like you may have started this already] and think about adding some big rocks along side the planting- maybe up the driveway.

• John Henson
    7 år sedan
    White, white and more white but no way would I paint that brick, it looks great.
    ralphierosey thanked John Henson
  • E L
    7 år sedan
    I'll add another vote for keeping those fabulous bricks. What a beautiful house!! You've done a fantastic job, the white highlights you've added make the house look fresh and finished already. Good luck.
  • michellepferguson
    7 år sedan

Mid century brick lover here - painting this would date it. I too agree with the above 'keep it' comments.

• LesleyH
    7 år sedan
    Fantastic decision. Please post photos when your project is finished.
  • ralphierosey
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Will do LesleyH.
    Thanks to all for your kind comments too. Feeling quite inspired now :)
  • michael_118gh919
    7 år sedan

Unless you plan on living there forever, Don't paint the brick!

• ntucceri
    7 år sedan
    I too have a 70's red/orange brick house in Hobart. I feel your pain. The white looks great with the brick. I love what you have done so far, particularly the front entrance. Could you tell me who designed/built it as I would love to do something similar with our back porch.
  • jandal33
    7 år sedan

I love the present look of bricks on white, especially the white heat reflecting roof. If any thing I would spend on a garden designer and create a look that softens the brick.

• spencers17
    7 år sedan

I would paint the brick! We painted our ordinary brick home grey (Flooded Gum) & it looks amazing. Highly recommend doing it.

• hosinator
    7 år sedan
    I'm with the don't paint the brick brigade. Such a beautiful brick colour and just a long term maintenance pain in the bum if you paint.

I think some well considered landscaping features and planting will be more than enough.
  • ralphierosey
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Thanks ntucceri
    The porch area used to be the back door. The structure was already there we just put a deck over the old concrete & replaced the metal handrail with rendered wall. The timber work was done by a family member.
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    7 år sedan

Why paint perfectly good bricks? High maintenance that will affect the natural insulation of the brick. It may also potentially devalue your property for future sale.

• Christy Reves
    7 år sedan

That is a lot of square brick structure to paint. I think the color is actually quit nice. Very retro. Have you considered installing horizontal planks alongside the exterior wall front entrance to the bottom of the windows?

ralphierosey thanked Christy Reves
  • Lisette Amir
    5 år sedan

check out three birds reno. I would paint it ;)

• me me
    5 år sedan
    old post
  • tessaway
    5 år sedan
    Oh no don’t paint that beautiful brick. It will look like ‘painted brick’. This style is so coming back into fashion. Paint cement brick but not these beauties. Use the colour to pick out trees, pots etc in some landscaping. Trees with gorgeous orange leaves and different size and shape terra cotta pots.
  • Justin Mascorella
    5 år sedan
    Unless you have the money to update everything else to better complement the bricks, painting them will give you a much more updated look.

Over the past 18mths I’ve been working on the front and landscape of my current house, including painting the bricks and it has made the world of difference! I’ve attached a before and after photo! Good luck.
  • robandlyn
    5 år sedan

This is an OLD post

• Louise Ray
    5 år sedan

Absolutely keep the brick! I think the grey streetscape that has dominated the past decade is starting to look rather ho-hum, so you're right on trend as you are - everything old is new again!

• Elaine Radway
    5 år sedan
    I don't think I would paint either. As previously said, amasing landscaping would make a huge difference.
  • cloudpants
    5 år sedan
    As meme and robandlyn have aready pointed out, this is an OLD POST. I doubt the owners are still seeking advice on this matter any more.
  • Sarah Beutel
    5 år sedan
    I would paint the bricks dark like your front fence.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.