lclivingston

Which mirror above fireplace?

Lou Ella
7 år sedan
Any thoughts on which looks better? Thanks!

Kommentarer (14)

• PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    7 år sedan
    Neither of them is proportionally ideal, but the problem is actually the picture rail. If you were to remove that your room would look much better proportioned, and I would then use the large rectangular mirror, but the other way round, i.e. Portrait rather than landscape position.
    Of you don't want to do that, you could still use the big mirror and position it over the picture rail, or cut a piece out wide enough to put the mirror in between. Show us a picture what you end up doing please.
  • Lou Ella
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Thanks for your response. Yeah unfortunately we can't get rid of the picture rail at the moment as we don't want to re plaster just now. We have just recently painted and kept the colour the full length of the wall including the rail which has reduced the effect of it.

I am now thinking maybe a bigger round mirror may be best. I was hoping to try and use one of these ones however when I look at the pictures they do both look out of proportion!
  • PRO
    Litecraft
    7 år sedan

I agree with the rail being the issue here, but it's understandable if you don't want to change it just yet. Both mirrors have a lovely design, just don't quite look right with the rail.. If I had to choose between the two I'd go for the round mirror put on the wall in the middle of the fireplace and rail and then add some decor on fireplace, such as candles or ornaments.

How big is the space between the top of fireplace and the rail?

Maybe try a square design to create a more proportional look...

These are 60 cm wide and might look nice.

Triple Bar Square Mirror with Crystal Effect Glass - Smoke & Silver

Full range of mirrors and mirrored picture frames can be seen here.

What ever you choose we'd like to see the end result.

Best of luck,

Litecraft Team

• PRO
    re-decorate
    7 år sedan
    I am going against all of those who say the picture rail is the problem.

It's a traditional house and the picture rail is a "feature"

Proportionally I like the round one but you'll have to flank that with something like candlesticks at either end. Ideally it would Be a rectangle but none of the ones you have are just right
  • PRO
    re-decorate
    7 år sedan
    Obviously hang it up properly and don't leave it sat on top!
  • PRO
    Glass Rose
    7 år sedan
    Hi if it's any help I would go for the rectangular one and hang it.
  • PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    7 år sedan

I wouldn't put a mirror above the fireplace at all, but instead place a big floor mirror next to it to counter balance the china cabinet on the other side. I would say the picture rail is a problem nut don't think you should remove it. Hang a smaller picture instead.

• Lou Ella
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Thank you. Good advice and I'm interested about your idea of a mirror on the wall at the side...this is what we have just now...
  • Lou Ella
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I am currently in the midst of painting!
  • PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 år sedan

hi,

Whilst I think the rectangular mirror is more in keeping with the house style, it is too large.

I would forget about having a mirror over the fire and instead use the mantel to create an interesting centre piece.

The picture rail is a feature.

I would actually think about making the wall below the picture rail a feature.

Paint or paper would be great.

• Tim Summers
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I had this issue when we moved into our house :)

The original mirror that we had was a rectangular one. This actually got cracked during the move, and I even took it to the local glazier and for £40 had it all made good again. We'd always had a rectangular, so we didn't think of changing.

Then whilst out, I came across this round mirror and instantly wanted it. IMO there is absolutely no contest in which one I prefer. (round one if you're guessing)

I'd never even considered a round mirror as an option - but I bought it, hoping that it would be ok as I had nowhere else to put it should I not like it.

I don't know how this will help you in your question - but just go with what you like. Bang a nail in, and if you don't like it, change it, if you still don't like it, hang a picture on it - be flexible, When you find something - you'll know that it's correct.

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    7 år sedan

Hello Lou! Lovely room. I like the picture where it is and the alcove cabinet is really nice. If you go with a mirror next to the fireplace, I would choose something to keep with the style of the current cabinet and mantel. 1930's arts and crafts bit rustic, not too modern. X

• PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 år sedan

looks fabulous and love the tree.

• Happy Christmas
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.