edubya

POLL: Bedskirts - Yes or No?

Emily H
7 år sedan

Barnstable Residence · Mer info

How do we feel about bedskirts? Do you love them as an essential part of your bedding ensemble or do you consider them an unnecessary dust catcher?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

No.
Yes!
Other - Tell us below!

Kommentarer (62)

• nsfairfield
    7 år sedan

No frilly bed skirts for me, but I do use the very tailored ones. It all depends on the style one prefers and the look one wants to achieve. Thankfully, there are no dangerous spiders in Ottawa of which I'm aware.

• 4megarama
    7 år sedan

it depends on the bed. our master bedroom has a beautiful wooden piece that covers the box spring. the guest room needs a bed skirt to cover that area.

• Lynn G
    7 år sedan

The 1980's are over - ditch them!

I think it's a cleaner look without them, and also, they block the light making a room look darker.

• davidinsrq
    7 år sedan

they're time has come. lose them.

• diannorris
    7 år sedan

In addition to looking very traditional (dare I say dated?), with 3 cats there were always dust-bunnies and fur on the skirt. Now, in my more contemporary home, I covered the box springs with a black fitted sheet making them virtually disappear. Easier to clean under bed and a far sleeker look.

• cholwerk
    7 år sedan

No one with allergies likes them. I cover the box springs with a fitted sheet and am happy to have a CLEAN dust free no storage area under my bed.

• mia506
    7 år sedan

Our master bedroom has a tailored bed skirt on a tailored upholstered headboard bed. Our guest room bed looked awful with a bed skirt so out it went. We have a beautiful vintage furniture set from 40s/50s in there that we inherited from my grandmother. Very plain bed....no need for bed skirt.....less is more...right?

• judiy
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

The look of a bed skirt is more traditional. I wouldn't use one in a modern/ midcentury style. I think it distracts from that look. If you're a traditional gal-go for it!!

• PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    7 år sedan

For the style of my furniture....Mission...a bedskirt would look out of place. For colonial or other traditional style of furniture, a bedskirt looks perfectly at home.

• labincurlers
    7 år sedan

I happen to consider them a very neccessary dust catcher, junk hider, and bed foot concealer for constant toe stubbing. Works for me. ;)

• msliu7911
    7 år sedan
    Depends on your bed type. The photo posted it looks great!

However if the bed was a platform bed that is lower to the ground, or a bed with large side rails and beautiful woodwork, i think I would skip the bedskirt.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    7 år sedan

Exactly - if you have a gorgeous wood framed bed, you don't need a skirt, if you have a simple wood frame to house your mattress with ugly wheels - then you need a skirt - simple...

• C W
    7 år sedan

With a metal bed frame yes. With a beautiful bed, not just headboard on frame, not needed. Bed skirts from sferra with pin attachments are worth extra money to always get length exactly right.

• julierossmyers
    7 år sedan

I have beautiful iron beds from Charles Rogers in a modern style home. As soon as I can, I am going to get custom box spring covers made out of a neutral linen or burlap fabric. I have not found them for sale but a wraparound with elastic at the top and bottom should not be too difficult.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 år sedan

If you use the space under your bed for storage then I think they are an absolute necessity.

• januarisun
    7 år sedan

Yes! Last year I got rid of our sleigh bed and replaced it with a tufted headboard, and bedskirt. I wanted a softer, more inviting look, and to me, the sleigh bed could look quite masculine.

• PRO
    Center Stage Interiors
    7 år sedan

It all depends on the overall design of the room. I prefer beds that don't need a

but there are certain steps you have to take to make it work. The first thing is to get a box spring support that's low profile. This will fit behind the bed rails so only the mattress is visible above them. For a clean, updated look, tuck in the bedding at the foot of the bed. Sides are optional. Having the floor show makes the space feel larger and more open. If your style is more traditional, a bed skirt is appropriate. Make sure you use one that's tailored rather than a ruffled one that can look dated.

• lamaisonbleu
    7 år sedan

They keep the area under the bed dust free and hide anything I want to store under the bed. A practical solution. Can be tailored or a gathered skirt, blending with the decor.

• fgivelis
    7 år sedan

I agree with lamaisonbleu. Our bed needs a simple bedskirt, not overly ruffled. Storage is at a minimum in our small condo. We need a bedskirt to hide sleeping bags and suitcases under the bed.

• Delora Dickey
    7 år sedan

So over them. Still have on our beds, but desperately wanting to get rid of them. They always get caught up in the sheets when trying to make the beds, and forget trying to lift a 17" deep Cal King mattress to get the bed skirt into the wash! Our problem is finding quality bedspreads that are long/wide enough, as our beds are tall and have footboards (needs splits for the rails). My dream is to find great quality chenille - yes, chenille - in a sophisticated pattern, that will fit. Impossible. Even if I get close enough, after the first wash (in cold water), they shrink like crazy and all the chenille winds up in the dryer screen. Sigh...today's chenille are NOT like grandmother's.

• motherhuber
    7 år sedan

Only one bed out of the four I have in my home has a dust ruffle, or as we call it, a bed skirt. All the others are on beds with footboards and wooden side rails. I prefer no bed skirt as it is easier to clean under the bed and I don't like to store anything under them anyway.

• Molly Hilton
    7 år sedan

It depends on the bed and the linens. I have bedskirts in my guest rooms, but don't in my master. The linens need to be the proper length and the bed finished. If you are using a metal bed frame you need a skirt to cover up the frame.

• Susan Ellingson
    7 år sedan

Never have written a comment before, but this stuck a chord. Never again will I fuss with bedskirts! Tired of pinning, cinching, trying to hide the never fitting bed skirts to my tempur-pedic mattresses! Freedom!

• Angela D
    7 år sedan

I use one to cover the metal bed frame, hide the under-bed storage, and finish off the design. I got some upholstery fabric and velcro, stapled one side of the velcro to my box spring, and sewed the other velcro to the fabric. It doesn't slide around and it's easy to take off and on if I ever need to wash it.

• lake1114
    7 år sedan

I think a bed skirt helps ground the bed in a room almost like foundation plantings ground a house. As far as cleaning under the bed, how difficult is it really to lift fabric and stick the vacuum underneath the bed? I also agree with hiding under the bed storage. It is a great place to store bulking items like suit cases. To me. large bedrooms look cold, empty and sterile when you can see under the bed. But, that's just me so in my house, we have bed skirts some tailored and some ruffled.

• lornasc
    7 år sedan

We don't have beautiful old style bed frames. Our box springs and mattresses sit on unattractive metal frames with wheels so bedskirts are essential to hide the sight.

• PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    7 år sedan

In our old house, I had a dust ruffle on the bed. The house was very small, so we stored our off-season clothes under the bed in storage containers, which I didn't want to show. Now we have much more storage in our new house, so we don't need to use the under-bed storage. I liked how it makes the room look bigger when you can see the floor under the bed. It really depends on the type of bed, the style of the room, and whether you need to hide storage.

• Andrea WilsonGriffiths
    7 år sedan

I have never used bed skirts but they look good on some types of beds.

• elisanastassopulos
    7 år sedan

They are wonderful to look at if you have someone else to do your washing up, or if you hide things under your bed. Still, they are a little too retro for me; I like air circulation; and they are too much of a bother, except for the guest bed that stays made for periods at a time, so my vote is no.

• rachiti
    7 år sedan

For those of us without the funds to spend as much on a bed frame as we spent on a quality mattress, a bedskirt offers a cover-up which looks nice. When I lived in an apartment where my bedroom was visible from the living area, my entire family remarked how tidy my bed looked - the difference - we didn't grow up using bed skirts & I'm the only one in my family which uses them now. Now, if I had the funds to sink $1000 into a classic wooden bed frame then I wouldn't bother with the bedskirt. If it has to go on though, I much prefer the smooth look with a simple pleat at the corners over something frilly.

• PRO
    Zack's Interiors
    7 år sedan

I can certainly understand the lack of space in a living area. I have begun to downsize all I do not need. Somebody else might have a use for my "things". However, Feng Shui does not recommend storing under the bed. The room should be as uncluttered and peaceful as possible with no TV or wires of any sort around to disturb the atmosphere. Is this possible, I don't know.
    Depends on the person's desire for a completely peaceful, intimate spot to relax, meditate, and sleep.

• Debbie Francis
    7 år sedan
    I have tailored bed skirts which seem to work but I love our master bed that has upholstered rails and headboard. I so love the clean simple lines and no catching the bed skirt in the tucking in of the sheets!
  • PRO
    Interior Directions by Susan Prestia, Allied ASID
    7 år sedan

The design concept will determine if a bed skirt is required. They work well when needed.

• PRO
    Zack's Interiors
    7 år sedan

Who or what determines the design concept? I believe that would be the person involved with the decision.

• stlouisgaltoo
    7 år sedan
    I make them to match my quilts that I make.;)
  • Kourtnie Good
    7 år sedan

Depends on the bed and the bed skirt. Some yes, many NO! lolol Also depends on the style of the bedroom decor.

• vlhut
    7 år sedan

I wish floor length bedspreads would come back in style. So easy to make bed and no skirt needed.

• PRO
    Zack's Interiors
    7 år sedan

I like floor length bedspreads. It would be nice if we had that choice. Zack's Interiors, Emelie Zack, Professional ASID

• Sharon Joyce
    7 år sedan

As others have said, it depends on the bed, the bedding and the room's style. I have a tailored bed skirt on one guest bed, a striped king-sized top sheet over the box spring (pretending to be a bed skirt--we like the colour and stripe for that room) on another guest bed, and no bed skirt on our bed, because it's a beautiful four-poster with nice wooden side rails. But where I have bed skirts, I do wash them regularly!

• PRO
    Bolte Homes, LLC
    7 år sedan

It depends on the desired style of your home. More and more clients are not opting for bed skirts as modern homes tend to give off a more contemporary design and feel. And if the bed is beautiful, why not flaunt it!

• decoenthusiaste
    7 år sedan

Whatever happened to BedSack? I thought they would have offered options for hiding box springs. Can't seem to find them.

• roannet
    7 år sedan
    I've used skirts before, but discovered that I prefer a less frilly look, perhaps a box with built-in storage cabinets or drawers under the mattress. (Better yet, I'd love to chuck the whole exposed bed and go with a Murphy ..... I just want a bed there when I sleep..... but that would be another thread, right?)
  • Sharon Joyce
    7 år sedan

@roannet, I'm also not a fan of the frilly look, but a tailored box-pleat bed skirt can look, well, tailored. But let's agitate for a Murphy bed thread. I'd love to have one in our guest room/home office.

• User
    7 år sedan

@decoenthusiaste You can buy bed sacks for box springs at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are in basic colours. And for those who really want to know. Bed skirts were originally used to hide odd shaped bed posts. However, today, it is known that bed skirts can help keep the bedbug (mites) population down by keeping much (though not all) dust from collecting under the bed. It's those dust particles that attract those dang bedbugs which love to hide in your mattress and box springs. Do keep in mind that the bed skirts or sacks only cover 3 sides of the box spring. There are mattress and box spring covers that zip on for the purpose of allergies and protection against liquids/fluids as well as bed mites. Wayfair has one that slips on but doesn't cover the entire box spring. It helps if you can't lift up your mattress. Other than that, they are basically decorative. Whether or not one uses them is up to the person(s) who makes the fashion decision in the household.

• PRO
    BC Studio
    7 år sedan

absolutely depends on the bed. If you have a standard bed with boxspring, and that boxspring is exposed, then yes, you should definitely have a skirt.

For a nice wood bed, no, show off the bed.

I always prefer platform beds because I don't like boxsprings and I like a lower bed, so of course in that case you would never have a skirt.

• PRO
    Allyson Brooke Home
    6 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 6 år sedan

Those of you who love Dust Ruffles or have a hard time finding your size, should try the EasyOn® Dust Ruffle Collection we sell here on Houzz!

It installs withOUT removing your mattress, and STAYS in place. Lots of gorgeous sizes and 3 drop lengths to choose from: 15", 18" or 21". Available in Tailored with 2 pleats, or Gathered.

Check out the reviews on these! [Gathered Bedskirt on Houzz by Allyson Brooke Home[(https://www.houzz.com/products/easyon-gathered-dust-ruffle-queen-prvw-vr~20237270?lid=9178511)

• bryanevie
    5 år sedan

Why oh why don't they make quilts and comforters longer on sides so dust ruffles are not needed. This is 2018! I hate those dust catchers!!!

• bryanevie
    5 år sedan

This is 2018, they are a nuisance and get dusty. Why don't manufacturers make quilts and comforters longer on sides. Please, Please, Please

• Lisa Williams
    5 år sedan

I would use a tailored bedskirt if the bed only had a finished headboard. If it has a side rails and a footboard, there's no need for a bedskirt, IMHO. I actually prefer a complete bed, rather than headboard only. But I typically don't purchase a full bed for kids' rooms or guest rooms.

@bryanevieQuilts and comforters by design are shorter. I think what you're looking for is a more traditional bedspread, which is longer and doesn't require the use of bedskirt.

• James malan
    2 år sedan

Nice to read your blog, you can also use 18 inch bed skirt for your bed It helps to keep dust away under your bed and is also used for storage it provides the bed a stylish look and adds beauty to your room.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.