trollycn2

Which bed? Ethan Allen or Thomasville?

vivian cc
7 år sedan
The top one is from Ethan Allen and the bottom one is from Thomasville. Which one is better?

Thanks!!

Kommentarer (11)

• tatts
    7 år sedan

Well, the Ethan Allen is better workmanship. Thomasville has a lot of sprayed-on stains to make the wood look better than it is.

Take a good look at the Ethan Allen piece. You're seeing pure wood with a minimalist finish that lets you see the real cherry wood.

Look at the Thomasville. See how the corners and joints are all dark? Sprayed-on, wiped off then given a heavy dose of clear finish. What you see there is mostly finish, not wood, because the wood is cheaper (pecan, acacia, etc.). There's also a lot of machined gewgaws with a lot of finish built up in the joints to cover the mill marks. Ugly. Look out for black flecks on the finish to look like worm holes.

On the other hand, I'm 6 feet tall, and I hate footboards because my feet go all the way down there and the footboard gets in my way.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 år sedan

Better how? Better design or better construction? From the photos I personally like the Ethan Allen one better. BUT I couldn't opine on the construction or finish from a photo. Your best bet is to see both of them in person. Consider the sturdiness, the quality of the finish, whether they are solid wood, plywood, veneer, where they were made, whether they are stapled, glued, doweled or dove-tail joined. Also what type of warranty and other services the company offers (delivery, repairs,etc.) I'm sure neither is inexpensive so you need to carefully consider before you buy.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 år sedan

I would look for a different design the curved back of the sleigh beds take up so much space...are you putting this in a very large bedroom?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I love this bed from Thomasville..it has a flat back headboard so fits nice against the wall and the dark finish in person is really beautiful!

• User
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Much prefer EA. It actually resembles a sleigh! Less severe, more curves, more graceful. The Thomasville looks more severe and harder to adapt to bedroom styles.

I like two larger pieces in smaller spaces over more and daintily scaled ones.

• vivian cc
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you for all the responses! I was trying to find out which one has better quality and fits our style. EA looks more elegant and young(more color selections), but it is also a little more expensive (~$2000 the current discount). Thomasville looks more traditional to us but we do like how it looks in person. The wood is quite beautiful though it is quite dark as you mentioned. The current price is around ~$1850. Our bedroom size is 15*19.

About finish and sturdiness, when we asked in store, we were always told they are solid wood. EA is cherry/maple and Thomasville is walnut. We are no expert so both of them looked fine to us...That's why I was hoping someone here like you would know better than us.

Thanks again!

Here is the link for Thomasville:

https://www.thomasville.com/catalog/product/view/id/5159/category/35/

Studio 455 King Peninsula Bed

Rich walnut veneers in a shadowy finish give the Peninsula Bed an intimate allure, turning your bedroom into a private oasis. This panel bed is made simple and sleek for your contemporary bedroom. Clean lines and a curved headboard add just the tiniest amount of interest to the shadow finish to give your bedroom a romantically versatile bed, easily matched with other bedroom furniture and dressed in fancy linens. This bed is available in queen, king, and California king sizes.

Here is the link for EA:

http://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-furniture-bedroom-beds/chlo%C3%A9-bed/375642.html?dwvar_375642_finish=Caraway?site=#start=1

(A modern perspective. We’ve refreshed the traditional sleigh bed with updated styling. The steam-bent curve of the Chloé headboard retains its classic elegance. Our scaled-down footboard opens up the look — and makes for easier television viewing, too.

• Crafted from Depends on finish chosen - rustic cherry or WHAD maple solids and veneers
    • Steam-bent veneer headboard and footboard
    • Side rails with contoured top profile
    • Lower profile footboard adds a modern twist on a traditional sleigh bed style
    • Available in twin, full, queen, king, and California king sizes
    • Footboard height: 25.5”
    • Height from floor to side rail: 6.5"; from floor to mattress support slat: 8.25"...)
  • vivian cc
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Yeah, we would get the nightstand in the picture as a set. Still debating about the dresser. One good thing about EA is we get to select the color, Thomasville only comes in the color as the picture shows. Or other than these two, would you recommend any other bed in the similar price range? Many thanks!

• PRO
    Amanda Kempisty for Ethan Allen of WNY
    7 år sedan

As a designer at Ethan Allen I can tell you the color options available for this piece allow for unique customization to your space. When this bed is delivered it will be brought into your home and set up properly...we don't just leave it at the front door. I didn't notice what the Thomasville bed was made up of...Ethan Allen details maple solids and veneers. That is a huge factor when I'm purchasing a quality piece....

• Techi
    7 år sedan

I have purchased 3 rooms of furniture for our home from Ethan Allen and have been very happy. I can tell you I have NOT received a touch up "crayon" for any of my bigger items--dining table, dining chairs, etc. My Thomasville bed is solid wood but purchased 15 years ago. Before I decorated the 3 rooms, I looked at Thomasville furniture but I felt it just wasn't made the same as the bed I have; therefore, I went with Ethan Allen instead.

• C F
    7 år sedan

I actually have some of the pieces from the Thomasville Studio 455 collection (but not the bed). I think it looks nice in person. The only issue I've had is that we spilled water in the middle of the night on one of the nightstands and didn't see it until the next morning. It has totally ruined the finish on it. I sent pictures to a furniture refinisher and he couldn't figure out how it happened or how to fix it...it reacted sort of like veneer but it's not veneer (at least a veneer is not what is messing up). Almost like a super thick colored finish and water got trapped underneath it, causing bubbling, then dried. I am not going to put any money into fixing it and a touch-up crayon most definitely will not do the job. I don't know if that helps with any of the discussion above about sprayed on finishes and what-not. I don't think you'd have that problem with a bed anyway.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.