dhadley444

Counter space between refrigerator and stove

Dale Hadley
7 år sedan

I am attaching sketches of my soon-to-be kitchen. On the left side of the range I chose a 24 inch counter space because I always do my prep work to the right side of the range. Do you think I should keep that 24 inches or extend it to at least 30?

Kommentarer (121)

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Approx 11-12 feet from fridge to sink

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

What about behind island seating? Are those double doors that open in or outward? Can u post a 2d floorplan with measurements. I know you are only asking about the space left of stove but your plan could use some help. The kitchens forum is a great place to post.

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

Sorry, just read comments about the door. Aisle dimensions are measured from countertop (not cabinet) to the appliance that sticks out the most. 42" min for one cook and 48" for two cooks is the NKBA recommended aisles. More if you have seating

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Our addition is 12x12 with 24 inch counter on one side and 36 inch island(maybe 39 inches) doors are sliders.

• User
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

If the sink was where the cooktop was? And the range was where the sink was, no one would be suggesting a prep sink. Everyone is suggesting a prep sink because you have your zones crossed, which means more steps, and more work. You need to read this classic thread. Ice Water Stone Fire.

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

It is only a 12x12 area. I want my sink & window overlooking my back yard. I understand that a prep sink would be nice for some but i dont feel it's necessary. I appreciate your feedback and i will check out your suggestion.

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

What kind of fridge are you getting? What about moving fridge to end of sink run

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    7 år sedan
    Sophie is God in this forum, free information from a reliable knowledgeable source....I would take anything and everything she says to heart. If I were asking she would be the one I would want to answer. Consider yourself lucky she has graced your thread with knowledge
  • Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Brandi Nash Hicks, thank you so very much for telling me how grateful i should be that Sophie & (i guess you too)decided to give me advice!! I came to this forum seeking advice and i am receiving it. I appreciate everyone's feedback and consider every suggestion....even Sophie's suggestion that my family will get dysentery due to my apparent lack of cleanliness without a prep sink. I asked for additional advice & Sophie still gave it to me (which i am happy to receive). What i dont understand is rudeness on anyone's part if someone has a different view of things.

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

Dhandley, don't take it personal. I do know that your kitchen can be much more functional with some tweaks. I highly encourage you to post your layout in the kitchens forum. It doesn't cost anything and at least you know you've explored all options before embarking on a remodel

• nhbaskets
    7 år sedan

I'm still concerned about your aisle clearance. You say the addition is 12' wide, so 144". You're been saying you'll have a 42" clearance, but it's obvious this is not taking counter overhangs into consideration.

So, going across from your stove run...

Counter (24"+1.5" for counter overhang = 25.5")

Island (24"+1.5" overhang facing stove run + 12" seating overhang = 37.5" or 40.5" if you have a recommended 15" overhang)

So your clearance on the long sides of your island would be:

144" - 25.5" - 37.5" = 81" / 2 = 40.5"

or, if you went with a 15" overhang on the seating side:

144" - 25.5" - 40.5" = 78" / 2 = 39"

This does not take into consideration the actual depth of your stove, which will probably be >25.5". So clearance could be even less.

As smm indicated above, KNBA recommends 42" minimum for one cook and 48" for two cooks. I have 38" on one of the short sides of my island due to the handles on my fridge and it's a real pinch point.

As smm, GreenDesigns and I have recommended, please go to the Kitchen Forum (see link above) and post your floorplan.

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

Another point: with a small kitchen you should maximize storage space with drawers in the base cabinets vs doors and shelves.

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

I had 38" aisles counter to counter on one of my aisles. It was tight! But since the seating aisle isn't a working aisle it's not too bad. Just know, if someone is seated at island, traffic is going g to be redirected through the cooking zone and with fridge sticking out way more than 24", it's going to make your working aisle very tight. You might have to rethink island

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I will do that and i am meeting with my kitchen designer on 12th. I have a whole list of things to ask thanks to all of you and your help. I did change out cabinets for drawers and remember ....one side haa no cabinets/counters at all. Thanks again, i really appreciate your advice!

• Amy Sheppard
    7 år sedan
    Definitely angle the pantry door! I think a 24" counter will be fine, the perfect size for a coffee station. It looks like increasing it would mean you'd have to change the cabinet size as well.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 år sedan

I have not once felt the need for more overhang than 12 inches. The tiny amount a stool hangs out .......is less than the six inches you lose in passage. With the billions of stools out there.....stick to 12" overhang. It's plenty. You don't perch at an island in the same manner you dine at a table. And I'd stick with backless stools for a more open appearance.

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

Oh I just read the comments and you are angling your pantry? That's going to waste precious floor space. Just do an L shaped cabinet.

• User
    7 år sedan
    @dhadley444 I haven't seen this post but the space recommended between stove and cabinet should be 3' and when you say your pantry cabinet is sticking out do you mean that its not aligned with the fridge
  • Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Smm5525, my existing kitchen is 8x20 with a small pantry addition tucked in there. Obviously long and narrow. We are adding the 12x12 addition to the left side of that. This will make that side 12x 16(17?) because of the added pantry space or it would be 12x 20. I am taking your advice, but truly think an island will still work in my new kitchen.

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Smm5525, good idea, i will have him draw that out & see how it looks

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

Ok please post your floorplan in kitchens then link the thread here for others that want to follow.

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

I had a corner pantry walk in and it sucked up 5 x 5 ft! The kitchen is much more open with it ripped out!

I added an L shaped pantry cabinet with shallow shelves in the previous desk area instead. I can't believe what a difference taking out the corner pantry made!

• nhbaskets
    7 år sedan

Dhadley, by posting on the kitchen forum, the gurus there will not only provide you with valuable feedback, they will create floor plans for you that you can then provide to your KD when you meet on the 12th. Why waste valuable time?!?!

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I will. I will wait to have a drawing with exact measurements. Thank you all for all yor thoughts, advice and energy!

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Nh badkets, i only have a drawing

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

Oh yes, please post in kitchens first. My new layout came from help from kitchens forum which I then tweaked with my designer.

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Smm5525 can you send a picture. That sounds like something i would love

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

The L shape? Doors aren't in but here is what the shape looks like

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

The long side is 14" deep cabinet with 12" deep shelves. The short side is only shallow 7" shelves. I couldn't decide if I wanted a command center there so I made it shallow to fit both food or command center if I go that route

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Mine is more like a wide closet so it might not work. I just sent my builder a msg asking to make addition 12x13 instead of 12x12 bc im getting nervous about walkway. Hubby would have a stroke if he knew lol !!

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought someone said to make that cabinet by the fridge an angled cabinet.

• nhbaskets
    7 år sedan

Dhadley, in order to create the drawings, the KD would have had to create a floorplan first. Ask if this can be sent to you.

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

Here's my corner pantry from before. Took up so much space.

Here is that corner now (with fridge wall pushed back about 18")

• smm5525
    7 år sedan

If u don't have a floorplan, just print out graph paper and sketch it out yourself. No big deal

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Ok thank you

• Joan D
    7 år sedan
    DHadley, just saw your response to my comment about drawers under a sink so I'm lat providing this. Maybe too late. But here's a photo of the drawers under the sink in my galley kitchen in Manhattan. The kitchen was made by Henrybuilt. The top drawer actually is a panel that pulls out with a small storage area for dishwashing liquid, sponges, etc. It couldn't be full depth because of the sink. The bottom drawer is full size and it holds cleaning supplies. No more losing things in the dark recesses of a sink cabinet! Items are so much easier to access.
    Dale Hadley thanked Joan D
  • nhbaskets
    7 år sedan

Dhadley, did you ever finalize your design? Didn't see you post in the Kitchen forum on GW, which I still recommend you do.

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I met with designer last week, but didnt post it yet. Thank you for the picture with drawers! Just wondering, what are your feelings on standaed overlay cabinets vs full overlay?

• nhbaskets
    7 år sedan

Partial overlay cabinets will look dated. If you can afford them, definitely go with the full overlay cabinets.

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    7 år sedan

That is my thought too. They are more expensive but im going to try

• PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    7 år sedan

I think 30" would look better

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    6 år sedan

All finished and i love it! I changed stools to white, but here is finished product! Thank you for all your advice!

• Dale Hadley
    Författare
    6 år sedan

Before:

• virginia lynn
    6 år sedan

Looks beautiful

• auntthelma
    6 år sedan

You must be so excited!

• User
    6 år sedan
    It turned out beautiful may I ask did you choose the 24” or 30” base for the right side of the range
  • Dale Hadley
    Författare
    6 år sedan

I chose 30 and im happy i did

• Judith Adams
    6 år sedan
    My new kitchen design has the same 24” depth counter with my cooktop. It allows plenary of clearance for my island. I got a counter depth refrigerator which has a built in refrigerator cabinet extending 6” from the counter. I thought oh no...then with masking tape, I marked it out on my existing counter and floor. The designer was right. It will be enough and look fine. Good luck!
  • Valentina Orlova
    6 år sedan
    Hello world
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.