dawn_bevan

Redusgning my Lounge

Dawn Bevan
7 år sedan
Help. My Lounge has an imposing fireplace ( see attached) which I cannot really afford to replace but I want to redesign the room in a more Art Deco style. This is mainly because I have just bought new sofas which are Biba so if the sort of style. Any ideas would be welcome.

Kommentarer (13)

• Isidora Markovic
    7 år sedan

Hi Dawn!

You could get a big, art deco style mirror to hang above it, maybe something like:

Bathrooms · Mer info

Library room · Mer info

London Townhouse & Mews · Mer info

Clapham Family Home · Mer info

Art Deco · Mer info

• Joanna Biddolph
    7 år sedan

I love that clock! Amazing how different the two styles are, isn't it. I agree that you could try hanging an art deco mirror above the fireplace to see if it rebalances the space. Are the twinkly lights permanent or for Xmas? They draw attention to the fireplace and I'd like to see a photo of the fireplace without the lights or, if you want them, with the lights around the mirror or maybe on top - the aim is to draw attention away from the fireplace. Or accept that that area isn't art deco, show it off in all its glory and turn other bits of the room into art deco shrines. At the moment it is a bit of a clash of styles; if an art deco mirror doesn't work, put it on another wall and move the clock.

• eferd
    7 år sedan

I agree about the fairy lights as they are drawing more attention to the fireplace. I would also remove everything else from the mantle so the clock isn't fighting for attention. It looks like the mirror is a attached to the mantle in which case it'll have to stay. If it isn't I would suggest a very simple deco mirror. Look at the Laura Ashley 'Gatsby'.

• PRO
    Crystal Woods
    7 år sedan

Hi Dawn,

Carefully remove the two top Knewl posts and paint the wall behind them a subtle different shade and that will make quite a difference on being less imposing.

Llewie

• ittiolly
    7 år sedan

Its not my style, but it's big and might be some elses. Also if it's authentic and original it would be a shame to destroy it by breaking it up. Why not try sell it and use the money to get something Art deco. Or go to a place that sells second hand fireplaces and see if they would swap it for an Art Deco one?

• craftycountess
    7 år sedan

Love the clock - I would box in the knewel posts with thin MDF (using the squares already in place top and bottom of each) and remove the embellishments. This would square of the whole thing and look more Art Deco in style, perhaps finding some Art Deco style tiles to place behind the fire itself.

• PRO
    Ann Jackman
    7 år sedan

I agree with the crafty countess about using MDF to cover the newel posts and paint them the same colour as the rest of the fireplace. I would, however leave the rest of the fireplace as it is. as the clock makes a lovely Art Deco statement in itself, and it might be more effective to keep the look subtle on such an imposing edifice!!

• dimcg01
    7 år sedan

We had a similar hideous fireplace in our Victorian flat. We bit the bullet and ripped it out ourself, it turned out to be a reproduction and I suspect yours is too! It was easy to take it out. I then bought a smaller, more appropriate fireplace on gumtree for £100 and attached it using grippafill and two brackets at the side onto the wall. We had to pay a plasterer about £80 but it was amazing the difference it made!

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 år sedan
    Hi. I think there's a lot you can do to make this work with your scheme and property. Do you have more photos of the room or property?
    When designing a space I think it's s mistake to ignore what features the room or property already has to offer so I would always start by looking at this and working out from there.
    It's looks like a great room and Art Deco is a great style to work with.
  • PRO
    ARC Bespoke Interiors
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

sanding the fire place back down to wood the even the post, eg: white/grey stain and finished of with clear varnish ,fan tailed mirror would look nice

• PRO
    BUYER BAZAAR
    7 år sedan

Hello you can change the Pendant lighting there

and go for something more Contemporary

• lizziedrips
    7 år sedan

Remove lights and clutter, keep clock, add stunning Art Deco tiles (colourful) in the fire place and paint dark Matt colour (possibly black or similar). That's what I would so as a temporary measure until I could afford to change. Good luck

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.