hrefgirl

Window Treatments and Picture Rail Moulding

Jax
7 år sedan

We have started working on a 1930's arts and crafts home with 10' ceilings. Picture frame molding runs/varies 10" from the crown molding to the picture rail. Windows run/vary 6' to 8" from the rail to the window header.
What is the common window treatment applied to this scenario? We hung curtains above the rail, but the rail shows and is unattractive. I haven't painted yet and would like to make the best choice for staging the house. I'm thinking that it just might be best to hang the curtains in a standard fashion at the window header and leave the railing exposed above it.I've attached photos. The curtains in place are just whatever I had at the moment for privacy. I'm putting together a cohesive plan of action with your help.
Thanks in advance!

Kommentarer (7)

• apple_pie_order
    7 år sedan

Showing off the picture rail detail is good. If no one will be living there while house is staged for sale, consider not putting up curtains at all. If residents do need privacy, just use simple plain white panel curtains on white rods. Or use rods whose finish matches the hardware on windows and doors. Target and amazon have lots of inexpensive white curtains. Brand new white sheers are good, too. Ikea occasionally has some patterned sheers that look good with arts and crafts houses.

Jax thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Spenard Builders Supply - Eagle River
    7 år sedan

The only solution I could think of would be to make a Valance over the top to hide the rail. but visually I think below the rail looks better In my opinion.

Jax thanked Spenard Builders Supply - Eagle River
  • Jax
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thanks apple_pie_order and Spenard Builders Supply. I tend to agree with "under the rail." I thought of a valance or cornice but that just added to the fussiness. Hubby didn't want sheers (which would probably work). He also votes for no window treatments at all... just blinds. Me... I thought that the textiles would add warmth to the space. After your feedback, I think that I will wait until the wainscoting and painting are complete and consider the idea of no curtains. It just might feel okay after all. If not, sheets just might work! Thanks again for taking time out of your day to help out! Best... Jax

• Judy Mishkin
    7 år sedan

yes but that rail hits the window instead of flying over.

i'd go with just blinds, or panels mounted just above the window which is how they were done when this house was built.

Jax thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Stevens Creek Shutter Company
    7 år sedan

Definitely I would look to install below the rail, leaving all that wonderful height on full display. Curtains do more than add privacy. They can soften, dress and compliment the architecture in a room. I would advise finding a ratio between the rail and the window headers that allows for a consistent height for all curtains even if the window headers are not consistent. 2" or 3" down would probably work well given your information provided. Good luck with your project, looks like there is a ton of character to work with in this house!

Jax thanked Stevens Creek Shutter Company
  • Jackie Greene Blanchard
    7 år sedan

Thanks all! Maureen, I absolutely LOVE the example you provided... if only! Thanks for your thoughts as well, nnigrt!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.