devitoicebox

Real shiplap or fake shiplap?

devitoicebox
7 år sedan
New construction, modern farmhouse style. Do we buy the real shiplap or can I get by with buying the 4"x8" sheets of pine and rip them down to 6". Everything is painted white and want to add some visual interest. Looking to shiplap the wall the fireplace is on and the opposite hall that will be in the kitchen with the front door. Also thinking about adding it in the mudroom and the stairway to go into the basement. Pros to buy the sheets is it will be thinner and cheaper but the con is it's not real. Can you really tell the difference?

Kommentarer (36)

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    7 år sedan

I would just buy 1 x 6 pine boards and use those. No need to rip them down. Might be a little more expensive to buy but the labor would be a lot cheaper.

• User
    7 år sedan

Just say NO to shiplap, period. Biggest WTF fad that has happened in 10 years. People are gonna look back on this and wonder what hypnotic they were imbibing.

• tatts
    7 år sedan

Why shiplap? ...in a 'farmhouse'? ...inside?

And if you knew that you wanted this, why did you put those windows in the peak of the roof? Do you know what that shiplap will look like when it's cut into tiny pieces to fit between the window frames and the ceiling? Bad idea on those walls.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

I agree with the comment to just buy 1x6. If you try to rip it you will get slants and wavy lines, no matter how steady your hand is. Factor in the value of your time. And it's a lot of wasted material too.

Consider the opinions of the pros on the durability of the trend. I love shiplap, always have, always will, but you might not.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år sedan

There are other options to make rooms look farm like.

One of my favorite wall concepts is adding wood lath to the walls to create some texture.

If you decide to do shiplap, it's a big committment to do it right.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

Sorry, reread your original post. I thought you meant 2x8 boards. You really meant 4'x8' sheets of plywood, correct? So no wasted material, but still wavy line issue applies. It will be very obvious over a long distance.

• User
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

And if someone wants pink unicorn fur plastered to the walls because it's the ''in'' thing, that's gonna get comments too. This is a design board. Not a self affirmation of choices and ego stroking board. You want to support freedom of bad design, do so. I wont. I remember one of the last time bad fads took over good taste.

Kitchen Gems · Mer info

• zazfuzzroc
    7 år sedan

Wow! There's actually pink unicorn fur? And I haven't seen it???? Where do I buy???

LOL

Agree with Kevin....

and ....the design police will not show up to arrest you, I assure you. ;)

PS Remember, sometimes people just like things because they see them, and like them, not having anything to do with what's in or not. Besides hasn't anyone told you guys... you get more bees with honey. ;)

Good luck in your new home, I wish you many happy, healthy years there with your family and friends! :)

• User
    7 år sedan

You want fake?

White Washed Boards Cream Shiplap Wallpaper, Sample · Mer info

So much easier to remove when the trend is over. (Now.) And no problems with the incorrect casing depths being specified to work with the real thing. You want to treat a dimensional cladding like wallpaper, you might as well use real wallpaper.

And, here's the pink unicorn fur for the next big fad. I look forward to questions about how to make it work properly behind a kitchen range. And whether or not the glitter sprinkles are in or out or over the top.

• KK Johnson
    7 år sedan
    I love the idea of adding it to the different rooms throughout the house to tie the theme together. Please post updated photos :)
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 år sedan

i always think its useful for one commenter to point out the downside of a style choice. judging on how well loved diagonal wood is in family rooms now (not at all, never, not once has someone thought it still looked good) then going into ledgestone or shiplap with your eyes open a crack is a good thing.

maybe we need to have rating icons, the way netflix shows or movies have; instead of violence or nudity we'd have 'of the moment' 'expensive' and 'pita to get rid of' icons.

• zazfuzzroc
    7 år sedan

Now come on Sophie! Stop teasing me... there's no link! ;)

Seriously, that fur is way too bright for me. :) Anyway....

But I have a question for you... what if this person does shiplap and loves it for their entire time in the home. Do you then feel that's a bad thing? Aren't we supposed to be happy in our home, regardless of what's in or out? You know, not everyone does things just to please everyone else or to be "in"...

• User
    7 år sedan

If they loved it, instead of being influenced by a fad, the home would have been designed for it. That window at the peak wouldn't exist, and the wall casings would have been planned with extended jambs to account for the thickness. It's just the latest Mary Englebreit cute urchins. Or geese with blue bows. Or Tuscan grapevine horrorshow.

• zazfuzzroc
    7 år sedan

Ok, I give you that... I'm wondering if any of this was mentioned to their contractor? Or this was just a new thought...

I feel you are 100% right and if done, should be done well/correctly....no arguments there and if it were my new build, I would want nothing less.

I'm thinking the urchin, geese, and grapevine is easier to remove.... :)

But if your intention is to save this person from a possible/probable mistake in your eyes, the way to express that and get the results you want to achieve, would be to express it with the knowledge and intelligence you used in part of your last post to me. ;)

• PRO
    7 år sedan

I think a person can point out that something may go out of style but in a non-demeaning way. Many times people post here about painting their brick. If you look at the history of my posts I state that I'm not in favor of painting brick, and why, but in a positive manner. For some of my projects I've even shown painted brick, because the client asked to see it, because the final decision is theirs. I wasn't affirming her choices, being judgmental or stroking her ego. I believe I was simply answering her question

• Bailey R
    7 år sedan

Wow... so much drama over shiplap ... LOL. Different strokes ...

• suedonim75
    7 år sedan

I feel like fake shiplap is the equivalent of the fake wood paneling of the 70's. You have a brand new home, you've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on it, why would you "cheap" out now? I'm sure that the designers here could give you much better ideas than fake shiplap for visual interest.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    7 år sedan

Your house your choice. I think the word shiplap is being used to describe any stacked board wall.

What gives the boards their demensional look is the tongue and groove . That said that is also why makes them very hard to paint and keep from cracking.

On the East Coast they sell shiplap or wainscoting in MDF or even paintable vinyl. It creates the look without any of the drawbacks.

I think there are router bits to give you the chamfer and look route into say a 4x8 sheet of mdf. You can't use a router on plywood because of the different layers and tear out.

I would invest in some reclaimed beams before I went shiplap as it has been said above you remodel or build does not appear to have been planned out for it.

• devitoicebox
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Yes, I know it was an afterthought, getting some heat here. Thank you to everyone that has been kind. Building my first house and this has been my one slip up, forgive me. I knew I would get some heat for shiplap, I love it and I will never get sick of it. But then give me some other ideas other than shiplap to add to my all white interior since I made a mistake for not thinking of it sooner. And side note, we live on a farm, I look out the windows and see cows and corn, so I am building a farmhouse but like it a little more modern, modern farmhouse, I know its popular style right now, again forgive me:)
  • suedonim75
    7 år sedan

I feel the same about white subway tile. I love it, always have and don't care that it was a trend that has been beat to death. :)

• zazfuzzroc
    7 år sedan

@devitoicebox, I think you should do what makes you happy in your home. I see no problem with shiplap... I think it looks pretty in many pics I see. I am sure there can be some adjustments made to accommodate the look you want. Did you happen to speak with your contractor? People change things up all the time...you are not the first and you should not apologize or feel bad. This should be a happy time...even though I know that builds can be stressful, don't be hard on yourself. Modern farmhouse.... sounds perfect! Good luck! :)

• PRO
    7 år sedan

Have you thought about doing something like a darker color on the trim. Some friends just built a new house and they did their trim in a dark taupe/brown. Looks very striking.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

The first time I saw shiplap was 1998-ish. For a volunteer project we were gutting a habitat for humanity reno. After the interior walls came off, the newspaper insulation was exposed. When that was peeled back and the shiplap walls were on display I promptly announced "I would paint it while and call it done, that is beautiful."

Too bad I was only 16 and unable to leverage my vision into a lucrative HGTV career...

Almost 20 years later I still love the look when it's applied authentically, as would seem to be the case here. Go for it.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

Should say "paint it *white." Darn autocorrect.

• PRO
    Willowood Homes
    7 år sedan

I am not sure what party of the country you live in but I buy it made out of MDF. I have done it out of pine but I really like the look of 0.5x7 MDF slats of shiplap. I have done it time and time again I will include some pictures of the farmhouse I built a year ago.

Yeates Residence · Mer info

• teamaltese
    7 år sedan
    I have to agree with Sophie. The little windows at the top pretty much rule out shiplapping the entire wall. The teeny tiny pieces of wood will look wrong up there. If your heart is set on it, shiplap only the bottom 2/3 of the wall, and run a shelf at the top.
  • PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

If you decide to look into an MDF product, check out Pac Trim's Pioneer Series Interior MDF Wall boards. Shiplap, nickel gap and tongue and groove profiles are pre-primed and available in different lengths and thicknesses.

Sounds like a beautiful place where you live! Good luck adding more beauty to the inside, and making your home your own!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 år sedan

My understanding is the window wall would not be shiplap, it would be the other two walls. Am I wrong?

• PRO
  • PRO
    Designs by TAP
    6 år sedan

Ship lap is a style that goes with the farmhouse look, it adds horizontal lines that have a visual effect of widening a room. I recently used it in a bathroom reno where the client really liked the farmhouse style but actual shiplap was no where to be found in our neck of the woods (Vancouver Island BC) besides which in a small bathroom the 6" boards would be too many lines. I wanted wider boards and found a pine laminate board at Home Depot, they are labeled as 1 x 12 but they are only 5/8" thick and 11 1/4" wide. They worked beautifully placing the 1/8" apart using spacers. It's not just a fad, it's a style and it's a design tool, the bathroom looks so much bigger now with the horizontal lines running along two joining walls.

• PRO
    Tony Christopher Properties LLC
    6 år sedan

This is probably too late but I found some actual shiplap (shadow gap), primed and all for $1.25-$1.45/lineal foot (up to 16' long). We almost went out yesterday and purchased the 4x8 plywood sheets and SO glad we didn't, for literally only $100 more we got the real thing, don't have to rip or sand.

• Corey Snapp
    6 år sedan

I say real shiplap as it doesn't flex and move as much with the tongue.

polaroid-shiplap-diy-picture-wall-5-easy-steps

• tech biker
    5 år sedan

My understanding is shiplap was traditionally used as a sheathing underneath plaster walls to provide some insulation, structural support, and to repel water. It was not designed to be used as the visible portion of interior walls. Think older form of plywood or OSB sheathing.

• Heidi Pritchett
    3 år sedan

Wow. Okay, I came here because we are getting ready to put in shiplap in many rooms of our home. It is 2020 and I think there is something to be said for shiplap.

As a side note, not everyone wanting to install shiplap is doing so for the 'farm look'. I'm not a fan of the farm fad, but I love ship lap. You can find it in almost every home in Norway, from old homes to recent builds.

• Joanne Care
    2 år sedan

Designs by Tap - may I ask more info about the product you used? On a previous reno we used recycled laminate flooring turned it over and used the raw side and painted it. Worked great but knots in wood bled through so had to put a few coats of paint on. Looking for the most economical way to get the ship lap look. Thanks

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.