nikki37

Table Decor Dilemma

Nicole
7 år sedan
I need some help with decorating my kitchen table!! I just can't seem to get the right arrangement.. I've had it set up this way for a few months but it's just not doing it for Me. I know one issue I have is that I don't have a chandelier over my table .. this is something I'll have to deal with it for now bc of the way my ceiling height goes from low to high & the way the high hats and vent are placed :( in the meantime I just need to add some pizazz. I definitely need something with height bc of this issue. I'm willing to add or take away anything already there so ANY suggestions will be greatly considered. Especially if you can show some pictures. Thx so much !!

Kommentarer (42)

• Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    This is the ceiling issue
  • Sammy
    7 år sedan

I'm sorry, but I can't get past the coffee cake on your island! Entenmann's?

• Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Yup totally lmao
  • Sammy
    7 år sedan

Now I need to go out and buy one.

• Sammy
    7 år sedan

You have plenty of room, btw, for a light fixture over your table, because the fixture itself would be lower than that dropped ceiling. You're lighting the table, not the ceiling. :)

• Sammy
    7 år sedan

And you should hang those three pieces lower, at the same level, for the same reason. Then do a low centerpiece, like a rose bowl mounded with flowers. Trust me...I'm from New Jersey.

• wickedxx
    7 år sedan
    I think one large item might be better than several things.

Best candles are grouped together in various heights with an uneven number , like 3 or 5.. for candle sticks that are the same height, use different heights of candles

One big vase might be nice ( not glass, so it's grounded) or a big pot, crate, planter box, urn , bucket with a generous amount of stems or nothing in it at all. Or group 3 vases.

I had the same dilemma and when I switched out the candles to a large long planter box with some greenery, it vastly improved

It's all about taste though and it not competing with your current style.

Start by taking everything off, rather than shuffling things around
  • Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    The vent box and high hat seem like they would be In the way of the actual light box though :/ ?? Although I'm no electrician lol
  • chloebud
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

Hi Nicole, I tried posting this earlier, so maybe it will work now. For me, the vase and flowers are too tall. The candle holders are a better height, or maybe some clear glass hurricanes down the center. An uneven number is always good. I also think something low, long and narrow might be nice filled with fruit. You could also just place 3 potted plants down the center...nothing too high...or artificial.

I'm wondering if the framed prints on the wall would be better hung in an even row by lowering the center one. I'm really just asking since I'm not sure if elevating the center one helps or hinders the ceiling issue. I'm not a pro...I'm sure they'll have some good suggestions with everything.

Looks like Sammy addressed my question regarding the framed prints on the wall.

• PRO
    Color Zen
    7 år sedan

I would be happy with the vase of flowers alone. Or you could replace with rusty red flowers for a color pop. You might just need to edit down. :)

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    7 år sedan

Here is a table idea from a recent design we completed. Maybe it will help you with your dilemma?

Woodside Updated Traditional Home · Mer info

Woodside Updated Traditional Home · Mer info

• farahfalani
    7 år sedan

What would you think about fighting all these right angles by putting a large round mirror on the wall where the artwork is? It would open things up...even if you can't have an overhead light you could wire two great wall sconces on either side of the mirror. I agree with wickedxx on the table decor. Hope that helps!

• decoenthusiaste
    7 år sedan

Whatever you hang on the wall, make sure it is centered at 5' above the floor. If you keep the three prints level them out, hanging them one frame's width apart, or one hand's width if you prefer. Part of the issue is that your rug is running into the wall on one side, giving a lopsided feeling to the entire arrangement. Pull it out so there is equal flooring showing on both sides and move the table accordingly. Your drapes are a bit too puffy for the table style and the geometric rug pattern. I would try a fiber shade for the doors. Try bamboo or matchstick style ones.

Rhode Island Beach House · Mer info

Dining Room · Mer info

• jck910
    7 år sedan

You have a lovely home with some beautiful elements but are mucking it up with Home Goods décor. Your floors, lighting, cabinetry & counters are very nice. Do you eat at this table daily? If so I would put a low basket with fresh fruit. A home is to be lived in not staged. Centerpieces should be low so that people sitting can see each other to converse. And sorry but there is nothing tackier than a store bought cake in a tin pan set out as décor. I agree the wall art should be hung in straight line as the different heights with the ceiling throw it all off. I also think your door would be better without that curtain. If you think that the rug cannot be pulled out, try it and put 2 chairs on the wall side and get a bench for the island side.

• shirlpp
    7 år sedan

Maybe the vase would be better on the island, and then choose something else for your dining table.

• pat1250
    7 år sedan

Just for kicks, what if you rotated the table & rug? It seems that right now the table is parallel to the island........and rotating the table might create more interest. Don't if you enough room to do this or not. Can you untie the drapes? Just let them drop naturally.

• senab
    7 år sedan

I agree with Martin, a floor lamp will brighten the area and give a new focal point.

• northpoint2
    7 år sedan

For me, the rug is throwing everything off, it's too bright and busy for an otherwise calm space. I love your kitchen finishes, floors, and dining furniture, but something about the rug (and maybe the artwork?) is cheapening it somewhat? And I guess I don't know whether the drapes are helping the decor?

• PRO
    Stone Heart Art
    7 år sedan

Just a single decorative bowl with some of these hearts arranged in it would be cool.

• Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I can't change the table layout Bc of space obviously. I would be open to changing the area rug. But I like my artwork so I would like to keep that. So far I lowered the middle pic so that they are all centered. What kind of area rugs would go nice with this space? I tried sticking to colors & shapes from the artwork. Guess it's too matchy now. :(
  • User
    7 år sedan
    I feel like your table is too close to the wall if yo can move the table so it can be placed in the middle of the area rug and like Martin add a floor lamp

Safavieh Retro RET2139-7980 6' Square Light Gray/Gray Rug · Mer info

Surya Chamber Modern Gray CHB-1005 Area Rug, Rectangular 5'x7'6" · Mer info
  • Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I don't have much room to play with in that area as far as table placement. That rug is an 8 x 10.. I'm guessing a 5x8 would be too small
  • PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

Look at Ethan Allen's Tivoli cage lamp or the modern nickel cage lamp for over the table. I would have 1 lg piece of artwork and use a lower arrangement on the table.

• leelee
    7 år sedan

A single bowl on the table. No runner or candles.

Remove the tiebacks on the drapes and just push them to open wider and let more light in.

• User
    7 år sedan
    You have plenty of space to move the table and chairs two inches away from the wall....
  • Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Thanks Claire. I'm in the middle of looking for a different area rug. My living room / kitchen is open concept and I already have a muted gray area rug from pottery barn in my living room. Do you have any other suggestions with an area rug for under my kitchen table..I don't mind gray again but maybe something with a little pop of color like yellows or turquoises.
  • Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    @Mark...I really like that. They have a 6 x 9 or a 9 x 12. Would a 6 x 9 work if my current area rug is an 8x10.
  • shirlpp
    7 år sedan

Nicole, why not measure it out to see if the 6x9 or the 9x12 would work for you.

• Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I know, I will tonight lol. Im getting ahead of myself Bc I'm at work & I was trying to visualize it in my head. I know the 9 x 12 would be too large. Im just hoping 6 x 9 isn't too small since I have an 8 x 10 there now. This carpet doesn't come in an 8 x 10 unfortunately
  • Mark
    7 år sedan

You need at least an 8x10 ft rug Nicole. :) Not sure if this is too much turquoise for you but this rug comes in an 8x10. https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Serenity-Turquoise-Gold-Rug-8-x-10/9511316/product.html Good price and good reviews.

• Lisa Williams
    7 år sedan

Nicole, your home is lovely!

I don't mind your current rug and I like your art. I agree that the table should be centered on the rug...and the rug in the space (even if that allows for a walkway along the peninsula). I agree that I would lose the curtain tie backs.

From there, you can center a light fixture over your table. And what is the "high hat" that you are referring to? I've never heard that term. Is it the junction box for the (future) light? I can clearly see the vent and 2 circular things on the ceiling, are they what I've always heard referred to as "pot lights" or recessed lights?

As for adding some height, how about a tall plant in the corner near the double doors? Some like a fiddle leaf fig or palm. You can purchase one that is very tall or a bit smaller and prop it up on a garden stool for additional height (and possibly color).

Love Entenmann's...ironically was just telling my BF yesterday how good they are. Hard to find in the Los Angeles area. I grew up in Massachusetts and crave their chocolate chip cookies!

• Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    I actually really like it. It's just hard to visualize it until its actually in the room. Like I said I wanted to add a pop of color in whatever rug I chose for the kitchen. I chose the carpet I had now bc I wanted to bring out the colors in the artwork. But I guess it was too many colors at once lol
  • Nicole
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    @Lisa thank u!! And yes Entermann's makes a darn good crumb cake. I have since taken it out of the tin for a better visual display. I took some heat for keeping it in the tin lol :) and not sure the recessed light ( aka high hat) and the vent are in the spot where the electric box would need to go for a light fixture.
  • User
    7 år sedan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 år sedan

Hi Nicole! I have been staring at this dining area and wondering, do you really need a rug there? It looks crowded with the one you have. Have you tried without? Sometimes "editing out" is a good thing. I think perhaps better tablescape solves everything. Take everything off and find a low wood or metal tray or board of some kind and set in middle of table and just put a few pieces of bright fruit in it, like limes or granny smith apples, (they last longer) or lemons. I think with lowering that middle picture that wall is good. While at first I thought larger art, it would be hard to find larger without competing with the ceiling changes. I do think two floor lamps flanking each side of the art might be worth trying. Very pretty house and you have good taste, so lots of good ideas here, but sometimes, less is more!

• tlparks
    7 år sedan

Would u loosen the curtains of the tiebacks, and spread panels, one to each side of door, and post a pic?

• Porter Edun
    7 år sedan

Sorry as you never asked about the rug, but I think you need a rug that is far more simple and muted tones. Love that you lowered the center frame on the wall! Perhaps something very simple on the table such as a grouping of clear glass vases with candles in them. You can go elegant or a bit more Pottery Barn depending on the rest of your decor. Silver tone or gray......... photo one shows 5 items you'd probably want to do 3 and a small preserved boxwood between the two lanterns vs. the more festive greenery seen here and you can change it by seasons. Good Luck!

• User
    6 år sedan

Sorry I haven't been seeing your post what does your other rug looks like is it patterned or solid or is everything already done

• erinsean
    6 år sedan

Flowers are too tall....just put the three candles in the center of your table. Ask an electrician about putting a light over your table....looks like it could be done.

• jbtanyderi
    6 år sedan
    Lower the pictures to SEATED EYE LEVEL, and hand them pin a straight line. Let the drapes hang straight: NO tie-backs. Get all the junk off the table.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.