wilde07

Fireplace

wilde07
7 år sedan
I am looking to remove the current wood mantel and a few courses of brick and install a more suitable beam for the mantel. One big issue for me is the brickwork currently feels too tall for the width. How many bricks high would you recommend before adding a 6"x6" beam?
Also thinking a limestone or slate hearth, we are soon changing the flooring to a light oak, any suggestions?
Thanks

Kommentarer (6)

• wilde07
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Was also thinking about plastering the front.
  • PRO
    Deborah Hayward
    7 år sedan

Hi it maybe does look slightly high I think it only needs to be 2 row of bricks lower if you are using 6x6, I don't think you need to plaster the front, brick looks great and I like the idea of the slate hearth, but if you decide to plaster the front I would then use limestone.

• wilde07
    Författare
    7 år sedan

I would like a smoother finish on top rather than just brick

• Daisy England
    7 år sedan
    If you're having a 6" x 6" mantle I'd reduce the fireplace so that it only has the 2 rows over the top of the fire. 6" is a big beam.

If I were to plaster it making it of a more modern fireplace I'd not have the mantle that big.
  • wilde07
    Författare
    7 år sedan

What size mantle would you recommend then if I plaster the front?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.