susiechoosy

Magnificent lounge

susiechoosy
7 år sedan
We have a newly upholstered deep blue velvet 1970's suite with beautiful chrome feet. The property is Edwardian and the south facing room features a magnificent arts and crafts fire surround which will eventually have a wood burning stove. We have eclectic taste in decor and art. We are not afraid of bold colours but also enjoy displaying art on bold white gallery walls and have played with both in this property. I'd like something stylish but not stark, and something that reflects our eclectic taste and personal items without looking cluttered and overly vintage with regard to any period! Any ideas?!
Thanks
Susie

Kommentarer (17)

• headers13
    7 år sedan

Hi - not sure on what you are asking - room decor or artwork ?

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 år sedan
    Hi Susie. What a great space you have there, it's a lovely room.
    Don't be shy to pull the sofas and chairs out from the walls. It will make the room feel more comfortable and more organised. Velvet is a lovely warm material and very in this year so that's great. I would pair this will greys and greens to create a contemporary backdrop from your vintage pieces.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 år sedan
    If you haven't considered a single room redesign for your space I think a 3D design package could work well for you, helping you visualise the colours and layout for the space and play around with the design before you make any decisions :) all the best. I look forward to seeing the finished room.
  • PRO
    Amelia Wilson
    7 år sedan
    Hi Susie, I think that blue velvet sofa is crying out for a little more opulence. I know you mentioned white walls for your artwork but pictures can also look fab on dark walls. That room is big enough and grand to carry a much bolder colour and the sofa would look amazing against a deep purple or dark grey with maybe some gold accents. This describes the look I'm suggesting http://mrsw.co.uk/opulent-interiors/
  • PRO
    Angela Keegan Interior Stylist
    7 år sedan
    hi Susie, lovely room and gorgeous sofa! have you thought about panelling the wall? using a half wall height panelling, painted in a rich colour would still give you the White/lighter space above to display your art works. it would be in keeping with the period, add a textural dimension but would not look fusty.
  • Joanna Biddolph
    7 år sedan

Definitely pull those sofas away from the walls. I would place them opposite each other, side on to the fireplace with a coffee table in between centred on the fireplace. It's much more conducive to conversation and relaxation. Place the chairs in the same arrangement, both at the end of the coffee table or separately with small tables beside each one to make them more inviting to use. And I'd absolutely use a bolder colour on the walls. I've just painted my sitting room in Caravan, a deep and warm terracotta-ish colour and my bedroom in a rich teal/blue. They have brought out the colours of my pictures astonishingly and I feel I've not done them justice when I've hung them on soft ivory, which I had in my last home. I'd have bookcases around the sides and corners, or other small pieces of furniture, to give it a bit of life and character, and put lovely things out on the surfaces: lamps, vases of flowers or plants, bits and pieces. You'll then have lots of places to put pictures up and they will really pop against strong colours.

• PRO
    Deborah Hayward
    7 år sedan

Hi as you say you are not scared of bold colours why not try orange maybe behind the sofa lovely warm colour and maybe grey on other walls and accessorise with a few key orange pieces, orange will also bring the warmth out in the lovely flooring, don't know if you have thought of window dressing, I think some grey shutters and heavy navy velvet curtains would look stylish.

• susiechoosy
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Thanks folks.

I like the idea of dark green and dark grey and agree that pictures could look great against them but I wonder if the darkness might become wearing over time - but I do have another room where I have used William Morris 'seaweed' paper in plum/brown colours (ish) between the skirting and picture rail and it does have a strong contemporary feel next to the white and I do love it. I have considered colours like F&B 'arsenic' and even ochre/yellow suit but am not sure how long I would enjoy them for. I think it would help if I decided what paintings were going to be in there but I'm a way off that decision.

In contrast I have also been looking at F&B pink ground and similar as lighter warmer options as their are some peachy pinks in the painting that is definitely staying.

I can move sofas inwards but there position in the room is unchangeable due to their size and the Bay window. My instinct is to remove the 2 chairs in the Bay and replace them with a pair of semi upholstered occasional chairs to soften the space.

Thanks for all advice- v much appreciated.
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    7 år sedan

Before offering advice, it would help to know how much sun this room gets during the day, are there any other lights (wall or ceiling) not visible in the photos and do you plan to have lamps as well. It's obvious that you will be watching TV in this space, but is it also for entertaining?

I would think that painting the walls in dark colours like burgundy or dark green would create a dark room unless well lighted and make the ceiling jump out. Instead I'd choose a warmer pallette light mid beige with a gold cast to it for the walls. A paler version of this beige can be used on the ceiling and off-white on the plaster reliefs of the ceiling, the coving, and the woodwork.

Floor length curtains with navy, beige and off white in the pattern can frame the bay windows and plain blinds be fitted into the recesses between the architrives.

• PRO
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

An upholstered ottoman would look good in your bay window, it could serve as extra informal seating, storage if the lid was hinged and also a coffee table. it wouldn't compromise the window space either, a couple of chairs eat into the frame space. Definitely floor length curtains and lots more cushions and throws to big up the opulent look.

• PRO
    7 år sedan

maybe something like this, but longer to fit into your bay. Don't match it with the sofas, this will add more interest and let the individual pieces shine.

• PRO
    Bloc Blinds
    7 år sedan

Hi Susie,

I love your choice of blue! It's so rich and luxurious. Have you thought about dressing your bay window yet? Bloc Blinds has a large selection of plain and patterned fabrics in dim out out, black out and translucent materials that would look great in the bay area allowing you more floor space for a chair/desk/window seat and keeping in precious heat from those radiators.

Good luck and feel free to contact us with any queries!

Sile

• Danielle Garber
    7 år sedan

I'd go for some rich jewel coloured velvet curtains and I think shelves in the alcoves would offer a way to inject colour and interest with some interesting accessories /smaller art pieces. I'd also swap the rug for something much larger for real impact

• susiechoosy
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Thanks for further comments. The ceiling and woodwork is all staying white as it's all recently restored and is a thread that links all the areas of the property. Despite my love of colour I think we are settling on a pale but warm grey for the walls, to echo parts of the oil painting. I think I'll be placing two restored ercol chairs in Bay window area, and may source an ercol style sideboard to place the television on. I do need to choose fabric for the chair cushions so will definitely be looking for something other than blue. Re lights the room is south facing so gets the east to west light through day but not much directly. It only has 4 wall lights , one in each alcohol be and one either side of the painting but I will definitely add table lamps/ standard lamps at some point. Thanks. Susie
  • PRO
    Feature Radiators
    7 år sedan

A cast iron radiator would really add a more vintage feel if you swapped it for the existing one in the bay. Maybe go plain rather than ornate as you don't want to detract from the art???

Here are some suggestions

Etonian cast iron radiators · Mer info

Radiators in Farrow & Ball colours · Mer info

Just call 01274 5157634 if you need any help with heat output requirements, etc.

• susiechoosy
    Författare
    7 år sedan
    Update.
    Plumped for Farrow and Ball 'Old White' on walls which looks great.
    Curtains are an abstract floral from Sanderson with various greys on white with hints of sage green and yellow. I found a roll of fabric rejected as a second due to a paler print than their standard but the subtlety of it suits my scheme much better. Managed to find an old repro console table for the tv which is being painted in Little Greene French Grey.
    We are removing the light fitting above the TVs and will add a standard lamp elsewhere in the room at a later date.
    Accent colours of soft yellows on cushions, button detail on curtain header, and eventually sone amber glass lamps with neutral shades.
    Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.