morgymcmorgs

Art above the sofa & space filler?

mnm
7 år sedan
I would appreciate your advice on artwork above my sofa. I've a huge white wall & am not sure if I'm meant to put one big piece of art or two pieces? -& any suggestions on art you think would suit this space? I've also got a bit blank space behind an occasional chair, what do you think I should put in this place as a space filler? Thanks :)

Kommentarer (15)

• PRO
    2 FIND and DESIGN
    7 år sedan
    One, two, three or more will work... you need to consider the size of your art choices and buy as big as you can afford... a cost effective way to buy art is unframed art prints from somewhere like Society6.com and framing them your self with poster sized frames...
    look through Houzz and Pinterest at art ideas to find which style or content appeals to you most.
    Before purchasing art check what exact size the frames are so as to order correct
    measurements

But take note of how the art in these images are hung in relation to the furniture so not to hang too high up the wall.

Regards to the area behave no the chair I would concentrate on art above sofa first as I don't think you'll need anything there once some of the white space is taken up by the art...
  • PRO
    Milray Park
    7 år sedan

Hello, if you wish to get free advice from a professional interior designer, have a look at MilrayPark Online Design Bar.

Our Design Team would be more than happy to help you find the perfect artwork :) (we've already done it for a few of our customers, you can check it here)

• PRO
    signarture
    7 år sedan

Art is a very personal choice mnm, but you seem to have a Moroccan theme going with the rug and the pouf... perhaps something in the vein of our Marrakech design would suit?

We create our artworks bespoke to the dimensions required, either as stretched canvases as shown, or as modern perspex art. Just reach out if this design resonates with you and we'll advise further as to scale and colour customisation - it already picks up the turquoise colour in your cushions nicely.

mnm thanked signarture
  • PRO
    Kylie Fogarty Art
    7 år sedan

Hi mnm,

Any of the sizes and configurations mentioned above would work well.

As you have a white wall, keep in mind that the type of white colour, (is it a warm white or a cool white?), will effect the overall feel of the artwork you choose too.

Black and white art and frames can be a dramatic feel, whether it classy, graceful or even contemporary vibe.

Consider using wooden frames if you want to soften the overall feel of the artwork, and they can add that more neutral feel to the room, or some prefer using canvas art to avoid having to use framing at all.

The benefit of being able to choose from a few artworks means you don't have to pick just one. So depending on your style of your home, you can create a cohesive look by having the same type of art in all choices, or you may vary the art but keep the frames the same or alternatively, you may prefer the more eclectic look and mix it up!

The best thing about houzz is that you can always ask for more advice again if you would like more advice on which style would work for the style of artwork you choose!

mnm thanked Kylie Fogarty Art
  • Deidre
    7 år sedan

I have used Saatchi Art (saatchiart.com) to both browse and purchase art for our home. Original art work can be purchased and most artists have prints at a more affordable price. It's a good place to determine what styles and mediums you love as you can filter your search.

For Australian art I love Blue Thumb (bluethumb.com.au). All Aussie and all original. Very few options for cost effective prints unfortunately.

I'd be cautious about filling the space for an instant look. As everyone before me has said "art is personal" and as such, I think it should grow with you and your space. Start with one piece that you really love, big or small and work around that.

I have found that putting unusual unexpected items on the wall makes for interesting 'art'. My husband's baby shoes (circa 1953) and now our children's first shoes are objects that always create conversation when guests come over. I have a Mexican art cross (we're not religious, the colours and the metal work drew me to it), a vintage wooden Indian spindle, African birds in a tree hand-beaten and cut from a steel drum, a clay mask my daughter made in art class, a woven Maori kit bag, some art that our kids have done at school (put into Ikea frames so they are always the right size. We change them as something else we love comes home), a hand-made ceramic tile, a growing collection of geckos found in antique stores, vintage travel posters in frames, (I'll stop listing what we have!)...all these items and more, have been collected over the last 20 years and put up around our collection of art or in clusters to create stories.

I've collected the initials of our family (yes the child with the "K" is not thrilled it's so small and the child with the "G" feels he's by far the favourite! Needless to say both will be replaced in the future when a more appropriate size comes to light) from vintage stores both here and overseas.

Our walls are a growing collection of art and objects and at any time I can move things around and change the composition as a new item is discovered.

Best advice I can give you is to have fun with it, enjoy creating your own gallery, it's for you to love you're not required to impress anyone else.

• Lyn Fabian
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

There are some lovely prints available if you are only interested in decorating the space but could I suggest original artworks can be just as cheap and create a talking point as well as giving your room a zing. Get on the invite list of art galleries in your area or go to a site like www.artfido.com and www.bluethumb.com.au where many great originals are less than $500. A good time to buy is at the end of the year when Art colleges have their final exhibitions. Remember that when you buy from a commercial gallery the gallery takes up to 40% commission which is pushing the price up. Check out artist run galleries to avoid this. You will find many works are a similar price to the very expensive print with a very expensive frame. Don't be afraid to buy unframed originals and get them framed. Often works on canvas don't need to be framed. If you really want a print, go to the state gallery to look at theirs.

• sophie150
    7 år sedan

How about a picture shelf above the sofa - that way you can change out or layer smaller artworks. I was going to suggest a plant in the space by the chair, but it looks like you have on the other side of the room. A lamp could look good and it's always nice to have a variety of light sources.

• philippawright
    7 år sedan

I would avoid anything over the chair but you could put a portrait profiled piece above the table to its left.

I agree with the concept of narrow timber frames- oak or similar to tone with your footstool.

There is a current trend to colour touched black and white photographs and prints with white mat boards. This could work well in your space - either as a series or one larger piece placed midway along the sofa.

You could also consider a floor lamp behind the chair- a hint of copper would be nice.

Some killim style cushions to blend with your pouff and rug would be a nice warm addition.

• siriuskey
    7 år sedan

If moneys tight just painting the whole wall in a colour of your choice would help, any large item of interest looks great, think about things you might have that would look good as a wall hanging. My first choice for frames is slim black metal, it's ageless and doesn't take away from the art work.

• KK1000
    7 år sedan
    Paint the wall in Teal and get one or more inexpensive mirrors or artworks from IKEA you can experiment with lots of them and return the ones you don't need, but don't unpack them .
  • siriuskey
    7 år sedan

This is simple to do, you can have whatever size or number of framed pieces on display and change it up whenever you like

A colourful London home · Mer info

• PRO
    Sonja Robar - Abstract Artist
    7 år sedan

If you are interested in contemporary abstract art, I can provide you with a custom made to size artwork at an affordable price. Please check out some of my works at www.sonjarobar.com.au. In the meantime, I will mock up some suggestions for you.
    Warm regards, Sonja

• PRO
    Sonja Robar - Abstract Artist
    7 år sedan
    Ändrades senast: 7 år sedan

I've selected a few of my artworks which I think look great in your space but if you would like see some other colours on your wall and in your home, please get in touch.

"Astrid" Artwork

"Lazy Sunday" Artwork

"Park Life" Artwork

"The Wall" Artwork

• PRO
    Lee Wilde Figurative Art
    5 år sedan

Hi :) I‘ve Just come across this post, and curious to know how you ended up styling the space?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.