su_morrow

Hallway eyesore

su_morrow
7 år sedan

Hi, I'm in the process of decorating this hallway. I'm trying to disguise this collection of random ugly plastic gadgetry in my hall. We cannot invest in moving it all to other areas of the house at the moment, one is the heating thermostat. I was thinking of papering this wall (see photo) will this disguise these elements or is there a better way? Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated.

Kommentarer (13)

• su_morrow
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Hmmm...interesting idea, will think about that one.

• A S
    7 år sedan
    Hi, why not opt for a wireless thermostat so you don't necessarily need to attach it to a wall and they also are more aesthetically pleasing than the standard white ones.

Also, as mentioned above, frame them with other images so they just look a part
  • su_morrow
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Hi AS, thank you for commenting. We will be swapping our boiler out in a couple of years and changing the downstairs layout a little. There is a hole in the wall behind the alarm panel and thermostat so work and therefore cost involved in updating unfortunately, and we'd still be left with the other plastic items anyway, we'd prefer to 'make do and mend' until we get to that point. I like the idea above too as I have lots of frames stored in a box already that could be utilised.

• PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

The white boxes on a patterned wallpaper will stand out much more than they do now. Consider a floor-standing mirror resting over the offending boxes. If a large mirror is attached to the floor with hinges it can cantilever away from the wall for access when needed.

su_morrow thanked User
  • PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

Maybe a cupboard that is actually ventilated instead of one with solid doors, those with a jali panel type effect. You'd still hear the doorbell, still be able to get the alarm and the room thermostat should be ok. Either a small one, wall mounted,

Or a grander affair floor to ceiling, like the outsides on this one.
    I'd go up to just under the doorbell ( you won't notice it so much ), level with the doors but from the floor up.
    Hopefully you get the idea! It can be narrow, it's just serving a purpose and it would be quite cheap to make.

su_morrow thanked User
  • su_morrow
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you all for your time and ideas. I'd thought of hinged mirrors and the panelled box ideas too but worry I'd be stopping the flow of air to the thermostat. It's a dark hallway so mirrors or light inside a panelled box would've been good solutions if it wasn't for the thermostat. I'm considering a collection of framed items as there are four black framed items already in situ elsewhere in the hall so I could add to these on this section. Thank you again much appreciated.

• PRO
    Mella Design Ltd
    7 år sedan

Would love to see the finished wall include me in a post.

• PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

Hi Su.. If you or your partner is handy with a screwdriver, stapler and hacksaw, maybe you could consider putting together a double picture frame (which would cover the whole area you want to disguise) then covering it with a patterned sheer fabric, so that the edges of the fabric are sandwiched between the two square edged frames. Then construct a third frame which you'd attach to the wall.

Once you have these two elements, mount them together using hinges so that you could swing the fabric frame back and forth, whenever you needed to access the gadgets behind.

You could use black frames similar to the frame I can see in the background and I think, depending on the style of fabric you choose, the whole scheme would have a slightly Japanese theme.

su_morrow thanked User
  • su_morrow
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Funny you should say that CBA Solutions I've recently done that on an old MFI unit I upcycled to hide all the sky box DVD player etc. It's gone a big baggy now though as my seven year old has pinched it a couple of times by accident!

• PRO
    User
    7 år sedan

To avoid the bagginess, you could stretch the fabric over the frame and staple (like a canvas picture), before screwing the second frame to the back, to encase the raw edge, which would then have the flat surface for you to hinge to the frame that's attached to the wall :-)

• su_morrow
    Författare
    7 år sedan

Thank you all for your comments and advice it was very appreciated. I went with the picture wall as you can see (needs finishing)... I'm liking it so far and totes disguises the ugly plastic boxes. Now to transform the two cabinets by the front door into something swanky and console like...currently a dumping ground used by my gorgeous but messy little boy!

• A S
    7 år sedan
    Love it, frames the boxes as though they were intentionally meant to be there.
    su_morrow thanked A S
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Sverige
Skräddarsy min upplevelse genom att använda cookies

Houzz använder cookies och liknande teknik för att anpassa min upplevelse med relevant innehåll och det bästa Houzz produkter och tjänster kan erbjuda mig. Genom att klicka 'Acceptera' accepterar jag detta, så som det vidare beskrivs i Houzz Cookie Policy. Jag kan avvisa icke-essentiella cookies genom att klicka 'Administrera preferenser'.